Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,279,442 times

Advertisements

I can't figger out how NH works, I've never even been there.

Lets take a used Jeep Cherokee and say it cost 10K, maybe 5-10 years old.

In NY-

8% (or more)-sales tax-800$

Title change-50$

Registration-varies by weight but guessing 200$ for 2 years.

So to put a 5-10 year old Jeep on the road would cost roughly a grand.

What would the same thing cost in NH?? I don't know how to figger it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM

93,895 posts, read 124,640,310 times
You are right and I'll apologize for getting into something that doesn't help the OP any further. People will go with what they want and I hope cheekyerica can find the best place for her family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
Everyone can continue to debate/discuss >>>their viewpoints<<< about the good & bad aspects of Central New York versus New Hampshire (sales/property/income taxes in New York versus similar & "hidden" taxes/fees in New Hampshire, the lower price of properties in CNY versus the higher price of similar properties in New Hampshire, the reason New Hampshire has a lower unemployment rate because huge numbers of residents in southern New Hampshire commute to the next-door State of Massachusetts for their Boston area employment and higher income scale, other debateable elements), but if you read what the Original Poster has already said, evidently cheekyerica and her husband have already done their in-depth research and made their informed decision as to which area (CNY vs NH) is >>>best for >their< desires/requirements/happiness<<<. Personally, I do agree with (cheekyerica & husband) their decision. If I thought that they were making a bad decision, I would honestly tell them that.

It's the same as if someone said they want a Las Vegas-South Beach-Mardi Gras/French Quarter-party 24 hours a day entertainment atmosphere, I'd say, don't come to Upstate New York or most other States for that matter = you had better go to THOSE PLACES you just listed. I just try to give inquirers honest, objective, balanced information and advice. I do not always tell inquirers to move to CNY/Syracuse. I've often told inquirers that if they've decided to move to somewhere in Upstate NY, based on THEIR requirements, they would probably be happiest moving to Rochester or Buffalo OR to Ithaca or Saratoga Springs OR to Penn Yan or Canandaigua; wherever I think best meets their desires=then they are free to do additional research and decide for themselves.

I want to remind everyone, according to what "cheekyerica" said, Central New York seems to be their choice based on research that they have already done. Now they would like us to tell them about:
1.) the heavier snowfall areas,
2.) where they can & can not do bee-keeping,
3.) what areas would be 30-40 minutes commute to Metro Syracuse,
4.) areas where they can have some distance-space between them and their neighbors,
5.) maybe some examples of single family homes with property they could consider buying,
` (not apartments, condos, duplexes, townhomes)
6.) any specific areas that they should possibly avoid for whatever reason.

By cheekyerica>> "Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get some opinions insofar as finding about some different areas in the Syracuse/CNY area.

My husband and I had been looking at New Hampshire as well but when we compare
>the cost of living,
>price of properties and
>job options,
>Central NY really wins out.
` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We're ideally looking for a location that we can commute to Syracuse in about half an hour/35-40 minutes (each way) and.... that we can have some rural/space between us and the neighbors. Does anyone know if there are places I can/can't take up beekeeping?

Thanks in advance!"

So, they've already researched incomes, job options, taxes/hidden fees, prices of the type properties they want to consider, cost of living in general, quality of life, weather, and determined that the CNY region would be >>better for them<< as compared to conditions in New Hampshire.

We City-Data Syracuse Forum members can continue to debate >>>our viewpoints<<< as to where cheekyerica & husband should relocate, but I think cheekyerica & husband are well past that phase of their research/considerations and now would like us provide objective/balanced/knowledgeable information on the >>topics they specified<< in their original post.

grdnrman

Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

In NY-

Title change-50$

This seems to be moot for this thread in order for it to get back on track, but where do you get these figures from? Also, I posted a thread from NH about this earlier on this thread.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,834,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post

In NY-

Title change-50$

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24567505-post6.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24591005-post10.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25272448-post16.html

So a $33,000 2013 Volvo XC60 costs $750 in personal property taxes. But a used Jeep Cherokee, which they stopped making in 2001 (essentially a 10 year old used car) costs over $1k. Also, a $33k car would have $2500 in sales tax in NY, none in NH. I guess I use that newfangled George W. Bush fuzzy math. NY is still cheaper than NH on the city data forum

Old 07-27-2012, 10:26 AM

?????

The DMV. Like 30 years of putting beaters on the road.

Bought a nice used car from Billy a couple months ago. IIRC DMV fees were about 2 grand.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/24567505-post6.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24591005-post10.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25272448-post16.html

So a $33,000 2013 Volvo XC60 costs $750 in personal property taxes. But a used Jeep Cherokee, which they stopped making in 2001 (essentially a 10 year old used car) costs over $1k. Also, a $33k car would have $2500 in sales tax in NY, none in NH. I guess I use that newfangled George W. Bush fuzzy math. NY is still cheaper than NH on the city data forum
Wow...... Talk about selective reading.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,621,506 times
Since we are way off topic already, my car insurance in NY is a couple hundred more a year than it was in California (the home of unlicensed drivers). No fault insurance laws only help the insurance companies and crappy drivers.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM

Its a progressive tax in NH.

Your free to get on or off the treadmill at anytime.

In NY its front loaded but either way if you don't wanna pay tax on a Lexus don't drive one.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow...... Talk about selective reading.
Are you kidding me? What is selective? I read every post- there's not a single person on that thread saying their car cost over $1000. This last post sums it up:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/25345170-post23.html

"For example, the fee on a new car with a list price of $30,000 would be $540 for a full year."

How much did that used jeep cost? $60k???

Old 07-27-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Since we are way off topic already, my car insurance in NY is a couple hundred more a year than it was in California (the home of unlicensed drivers). No fault insurance laws only help the insurance companies and crappy drivers.
Car insurance is super cheap there too, because its not required if you have something like a $25,000 affidavit proof in case you get into an accident. IIRC, its the last state that doesn't mandate car insurance. I think that is insane, personally, but it also makes car insurance super cheap because its not required.

If I lived there, my uninsured/underinsured portion of my policy would be like $500,000. Gotta be tons of people driving around with no insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area