Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:44 AM

93,946 posts, read 124,759,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Just paid my cell phone bill and since we have been talking about being nickled and dimed by taxes, I thought I would check out what the charges are on my phone.

NY Public Safety Comm Surchg 1.20
Onondaga Cnty 911 Surchg .30
NY State Sales Tax 2.58
Onondaga Cnty Sales Tax 2.58
$6.66

Total is 666. Ironic.
It is a 7% tax for Telecom device usage on NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,622,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is a 7% tax for Telecom device usage on NH.
]
This had nothing to do with NH. I don't care about NH. I just thought it was funny.
I found this article that you might find interesting.
Are You a "Right-Fighter"?

Old 07-27-2012, 12:08 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,837,429 times
Quote:
No doubt its a consideration, commuting and paying tax to another state. That pretty much offsets the savings. Not sure yet if I'd have to.

Here's a more accurate way to assess unemployment, based on that link you posted:

Alternative Measures of Labor Underutilization for States

Old 07-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
]
This had nothing to do with NH. I don't care about NH. I just thought it was funny.
Good article. That's why I wanted to end the argument with ckhthankgod. I don't have to be right. He takes a lot of pride in the area and I respect that.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
]
This doesn't make sense, as all I'm doing is relaying research. There isn't any emotion needed when you do that, as it speaks for itself. Even Vintage/Phish admitted to the the point I was making all along in terms of overall cost of living. No pride involved. No rhetorical comments. Just post what you find and be sincere in terms of helping people. People are going to make whatever decision they want to make. So, it isn't that serious.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,172,708 times
I was raised in Baldwinsville, NY (Syracuse area suburb) and I was recently lucky enough to live in Southern NH for a year for my job (I now live in VA by DC).

Honestly, the only perk of Syracuse for me was the comforts of home. I am used to how expensive NYS is for everything, and the culture of the people in the Syracuse area.

Southern NH for me was definitely an amazing place, and I would go back in a heartbeat. The only negative for me was having no ties to the area in terms of people or friends.

New Hampshire in general is more laid back, and is extremely beautiful. I love hiking, and I love the scenery NH in general provides. Yes, some houses are more expensive, but some aren't as bad as you'd think. To me, there is a tradeoff that is well worth it. Being a 40 minute drive from Boston was also nice. The seclusion of NH, but the ability to go hang out in Boston if I wanted to.

Syracuse to me is just blah. There are some beautiful parts of the area, but now that I've lived in several states (with VA being the most expensive to me by far), I would gladly pay more to experience what I have in NH or VA. The hiking, views, and things available to me are worth the money I spend.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyerica View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and information! I've only got a sporadic internet access at the moment (hence the long silence from me) but I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Thank you for letting me know that we'd be better off looking in those areas and to avoid townships/villages for the beekeeping! (I'd never have even thought that!)

I'll let you all know how our search goes--we're supposed to be driving out tomorrow to look at a few places!
How did everything go? Hopefully, you were able to find what you were looking for.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
I was raised in Baldwinsville, NY (Syracuse area suburb) and I was recently lucky enough to live in Southern NH for a year for my job (I now live in VA by DC).

Honestly, the only perk of Syracuse for me was the comforts of home. I am used to how expensive NYS is for everything, and the culture of the people in the Syracuse area.

Southern NH for me was definitely an amazing place, and I would go back in a heartbeat. The only negative for me was having no ties to the area in terms of people or friends.

New Hampshire in general is more laid back, and is extremely beautiful. I love hiking, and I love the scenery NH in general provides. Yes, some houses are more expensive, but some aren't as bad as you'd think. To me, there is a tradeoff that is well worth it. Being a 40 minute drive from Boston was also nice. The seclusion of NH, but the ability to go hang out in Boston if I wanted to.

Syracuse to me is just blah. There are some beautiful parts of the area, but now that I've lived in several states (with VA being the most expensive to me by far), I would gladly pay more to experience what I have in NH or VA. The hiking, views, and things available to me are worth the money I spend.
For the first part, I'd love to hear more about that.

As for the second part, I also found this to be true. However, I mentioned that on here and got slammed. For being so close to the ocean, 6,000 ft mts, and Boston, its not NJ, VA or CA prices, for sure.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
For the first part, I'd love to hear more about that.

As for the second part, I also found this to be true. However, I mentioned that on here and got slammed. For being so close to the ocean, 6,000 ft mts, and Boston, its not NJ, VA or CA prices, for sure.
No one slammed that point. What others are saying is that you can do the same thing here by showing liveable homes or townhomes that are below the average here as well. So, in turn, you can still come out with paying much less here. For instance, I got my home for 83,100 and while it was older than the example from NH, it only had minor touch ups that were needed and was a little bit bigger.

People get the proximity aspect of NH, but the OP already made their decision based on their research, which can be reinforced.

BTW-Have you been able to go back and forth like this on the NH forum? Also, the Syracuse area is close to lake beaches, the Adirondacks, the 1000 Islands, the Finger Lakes and plenty of nice smaller villages and cities. NH has the Boston advantage, but other major cities in the NE. and Canada are closer to Syracuse due to the central location.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-31-2012 at 06:14 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
No one slammed that point. What others are saying is that you can do the same thing here by showing liveable homes or townhomes that are below the average here as well. So, in turn, you can still come out with paying much less here. For instance, I got my home for 83,100 and while it was older than the example from NH, it only had minor touch ups that were needed and was a little bit bigger.

People get the proximity aspect of NH, but the OP already made their decision based on their research, which can be reinforced.

BTW-Have you been able to go back and forth like this on the NH forum? Also, the Syracuse area is close to lake beaches, the Adirondacks, the 1000 Islands, the Finger Lakes and plenty of nice smaller villages and cities. NH has the Boston advantage, but other major cities in the NE. and Canada are closer to Syracuse due to the central location.
Dude, what is your problem? Someone came on here and made that point and you're responding facetiously to me. Obviously you know darn well I haven't been going back and forth on NH forum. I asked a specific person who lived in both places a question. He made a statement that was the same statement I was saying all along. Then I agree with him and get lectured. Did I do something to offend you? WTH?

I haven't posted in NH forum yet. I will when I see someone in there that I want to talk to- someone from Syracuse perhaps. That's my perogative, right? I am not coming here and denigrating the area, so what problem do you have with me posting my opinions here? And if I was questioning some negative aspect of the area, I can do that.

I've been very respectful on here, you strongly disagreed with my position that central NY and NH are nearly equal costwise when all factors are accounted for, and apparenty someone else thinks the same thing. So lecture him. You're kinda being a bully on this point with me for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area