Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:17 PM

37 posts, read 133,169 times

Advertisements

I don't know if I'd call the Dome outdated. Being Syracuse born and raised it hurts as a current student to see the football team so bad. It's hard for my friends on campus who didn't grow up here to understand what it was like back in the late 90's with McNabb. A capacity crowd of 50,000 rockin the place sent chills down your spine. The current students who didn't grow up here will probably not have a chance to experience that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,823,164 times
I think some of it is the conference, and ultimately NFL draft potential. The Big East used to be a good conference but then like now is a 2nd rate conference when compared to the others and that is a big sticking point to potential recruits, and as someone else said the winter--if you have the choice to play football at Florida, USC, Texas A&M, or Syracuse which would you pick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnclark View Post
I don't know if I'd call the Dome outdated. Being Syracuse born and raised it hurts as a current student to see the football team so bad. It's hard for my friends on campus who didn't grow up here to understand what it was like back in the late 90's with McNabb. A capacity crowd of 50,000 rockin the place sent chills down your spine. The current students who didn't grow up here will probably not have a chance to experience that.
I agree that the Dome is far from outdated--its alot better than some of the other stadiums in collegiate football. The Mcnabb years were great, I remember the final McNabb game against Miami (in which we killed them), the whole atmosphere was electrifying

I think we need better recruiter staff for one, you really cant blame the coach for that--he can only do so much with what he is given.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 11-02-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 08:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,361,611 times
well the head coach is the primary recruiter

why did the big east let VT, the U, and BC go

did they not think it would hurt them?

Old 10-21-2008, 04:18 PM

372 posts, read 851,624 times
My top 2 reasons:

1) Vick decided to go to VaTech instead of Syracuse after McNabb left. I think this was the only time he listened to the advice of his coaches... We ended up with Troy Nunes under center, and the rest is history.

2) The Big East losing BC, Miami and VaTech. We've become a bloated basketball conference that's probably too big and too good for our own sake. More teams currently in the Big East would make the tourney if they were playing in different conferences... but that's up for a different topic. Recruits want to know how often they'll be on national television so that they can improve their draft status. We currently can't offer that.

I'd like to imagine that we compete with WVU, Pitt, Penn State and BC for recruits now... but I think it's more likely that we're competing with UB (Univ. at Buffalo) and other Big East basketball schools UConn, Temple, etc.

The great thing about college sports is that it can all turn around with one big recruiting class and one big season. Who knows, maybe "The Express" will bring some attention back our way. Maybe we can bribe top recruit by agreeing to un-retire #44.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM

but why did the big east let VT, BC, and the U go?

they lost of lot of TV exposure

the other ACC schools are now improving, it is weird

Wake Forest, and UNC are kinda competitive now

Old 10-22-2008, 08:57 PM

94,542 posts, read 125,575,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
but why did the big east let VT, BC, and the U go?

they lost of lot of TV exposure

the other ACC schools are now improving, it is weird

Wake Forest, and UNC are kinda competitive now
Wake went to a BCS bowl just a couple of years ago. UNC goes in spurts. Except for BC, the other two make sense to be in the ACC to be honest with you. I think Syracuse was pursued to join as well.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:43 AM

well now South Florida is the big east now

theye traded The U for South Florida?

they should have just traded The U for Maryland and stopped it there

Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 PM

94,542 posts, read 125,575,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
well now South Florida is the big east now

theye traded The U for South Florida?

they should have just traded The U for Maryland and stopped it there
Perhaps, as Maryland used to play Syracuse quite a bit back in the day. I wish schools like Villanova or even Delaware could step up and play in the Big East too. Imagine if St. John's could get a decent program going?

Also, getting South Florida comes from the former Conference USA teams that came to the Big East.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:59 AM

well what i meant was the location

Miami is closer to ACC schools, but now south florida has to do all that traveling

I do not know if villanova or delaware would do any good because are an elite program

we need bigger names for the conference, that will make more recruits interested with the teams in the Big East

the marketing for each school would improve

why did they get rid of paul pasqualoni anyways

Old 11-01-2008, 06:15 PM

4,438 posts, read 7,707,127 times
I'll put my 2 cents.....in addition to the fact that Robinson sucks......

1. Changing recruiting landscape. SU, a small, private school, now has to deal with three public schools around it for recruits, UConn, Rutgers and Buffalo! It used to be just Penn State, but it's JoePa and the other three!

2. Loss of Miami, VTech, and BC to the ACC hit the Big East and SU hard!!!!!!!

3. Weather in Syracuse is brutal. Yes, it's was brutal during the days of Brown, Davis, McNabb and Freeney, but with a more competitive recruting landscape in college football, the minuses of a declining football program can really hurt!

As for unretiring 44, I'm divided on that. One the one hand, a great player with it can present an aura of intimidation to the opponents with that number. On the other hand, giving it out can be a crap shoot. You may have a recruit whose HS numbers merit 44, but comes to the SU campus and disappoints!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area