Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:26 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Gross, it seems, was trying to make SU the USC of the Northeast and it wasn't happening. Robinson didn't have the ties to the NE HS Football scene that Pasqualoni or MacPherson had, because he was a West Coast guy. In that sense, I felt sorry for him, because he didn't really know what he was getting into.

Also, keep in mind that the 1987 team that went 11-0-1 did it with a lot of NY HS Football talent. Don McPherson was from West Hempstead(should have won the Heisman that year), Rob Moore was from Hempstead, Pat Kelly the TE was from webster outside of Rochester, Blake Bednarz was from Blaisdell(I think he went to Frontier High) just south of Buffalo, Daryl Johnston the FB went to Lewiston-Porter outside of Niagara Falls, Robert Drummond went to Jamesville-DeWitt just outside of Syracuse, Chris Ingram one of the CB's went to Fowler High a Syracuse City HS and many, many more. So, it's not like the athletes aren't here in NY. We just need the coaches with the connections to get the top players from the state, along with some other top players from other states like NJ, Florida, Ohio and PA, among others.

I agree, Syracuse needs to pay attention to more homegrown talent than it has in recent past. There have been outstanding local players that have been bypassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM

372 posts, read 849,336 times
I think it's more that the players have bypassed Syracuse, not the other way around....

Three names come to mind immediately.

Marquis Walker ('98 from Henniger, went to Michigan and ultimately was drafted by the Bears).

Mike Hart - '03 or '04(?) from Onondaga, went to Michigan and ultimately drafted by the Colts.

Mike Paulus - '07 from CBA... Michigan State, after UNC changed coaching staff.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:24 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasNootz View Post
I think it's more that the players have bypassed Syracuse, not the other way around....

Three names come to mind immediately.

Marquis Walker ('98 from Henniger, went to Michigan and ultimately was drafted by the Bears).

Mike Hart - '03 or '04(?) from Onondaga, went to Michigan and ultimately drafted by the Colts.

Mike Paulus - '07 from CBA... Michigan State, after UNC changed coaching staff.
Actually, SU had no chance at Hart, as Michigan was his dream school and he has family in the area. Paulus is still at UNC, unless he just transferred to MSU. Not sure about Walker. Tay Murray, also from Onondaga is at Central Florida now too. Don't forget Will Smith from Utica's Proctor High, who went to Ohio State and is now an NFL All Pro at DE. There are others......

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM

69 posts, read 221,213 times
Default Good game today!

Always a pleasure to see the 'Cuse knocking of Notre Dame, in South Bend, on senior day, with a last minute TD.

Good for Robinson, going out with at least one more win.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:35 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
Randy edsall has already said no, so who are they after?

Old 11-23-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, SU had no chance at Hart, as Michigan was his dream school and he has family in the area. Paulus is still at UNC, unless he just transferred to MSU. Not sure about Walker. Tay Murray, also from Onondaga is at Central Florida now too. Don't forget Will Smith from Utica's Proctor High, who went to Ohio State and is now an NFL All Pro at DE. There are others......

Even in the 90's there was alot of local talent, I forget the kids name (Demitrius something) who played at Fowler for an example

Old 11-24-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
Even in the 90's there was alot of local talent, I forget the kids name (Demitrius something) who played at Fowler for an example
You mean Demetrius(sp?) Coleman. I played against him in HS when I played at Westhill. He was a 5"3' tailback that transferred from Alabama, I think. That was a very good Fowler team that year and they won the section. That's when the city of Syracuse had a lot of talent in it's high schools. Henninger was nationally ranked in 1990, and was a playoff regular in the old 4 team set up(and they still are good and won Sec. 3 this year in Class AA). Nottingham and Corcoran were regulars for a sectional title in the late 80's-early 90's too. Both of those schools had good RB's around that time with Dorsey Levens at Nottingham and Dion Alexander at Corcoran. Alexander was supposed to go to Pitt, but I think there was some issue that came up when he had a physical. He was a 10 second guy in the 100 meters too.

Also, the Utica-Rome part of Section 3(Central NY area) had some very good teams too in Rome Free Academy, Dolgeville, Whitesboro and New Hartford. All of these teams are still good now.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You mean Demetrius(sp?) Coleman. I played against him in HS when I played at Westhill. He was a 5"3' tailback that transferred from Alabama, I think. That was a very good Fowler team that year and they won the section. That's when the city of Syracuse had a lot of talent in it's high schools. Henninger was nationally ranked in 1990, and was a playoff regular in the old 4 team set up(and they still are good and won Sec. 3 this year in Class AA). Nottingham and Corcoran were regulars for a sectional title in the late 80's-early 90's too. Both of those schools had good RB's around that time with Dorsey Levens at Nottingham and Dion Alexander at Corcoran. Alexander was supposed to go to Pitt, but I think there was some issue that came up when he had a physical. He was a 10 second guy in the 100 meters too.

Also, the Utica-Rome part of Section 3(Central NY area) had some very good teams too in Rome Free Academy, Dolgeville, Whitesboro and New Hartford. All of these teams are still good now.
We scrimmaged that Fowler team while I played at Bishop Grimes (wihich I might add was the last Grimes team with a semi winning record)

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrice View Post
We scrimmaged that Fowler team while I played at Bishop Grimes (wihich I might add was the last Grimes team with a semi winning record)
Yup, Grimes hasn't had a winning record in Football since 1992 when they went 5-3(think of guys like Paul Marvar, Tom Drumm, Bryan Hicks and Ed Perry among others). Ouch! They did come close last year to making the playoffs and had a QB/WR combo that was one of the best in the state. That WR is now at Sacred Heart, a small D1-AA school in Connecticut. Not sure about the QB. This years team I think went 1-7 or 1-8 this year, but has some good young talent. Hopefully, they can get it together. I almost forgot, but they also have 2 guys playing for SU actually.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Yup, Grimes hasn't had a winning record in Football since 1992 when they went 5-3(think of guys like Paul Marvar, Tom Drumm, Bryan Hicks and Ed Perry among others). Ouch! They did come close last year to making the playoffs and had a QB/WR combo that was one of the best in the state. That WR is now at Sacred Heart, a small D1-AA school in Connecticut. Not sure about the QB. This years team I think went 1-7 or 1-8 this year, but has some good young talent. Hopefully, they can get it together. I almost forgot, but they also have 2 guys playing for SU actually.
Yeah, I was on that team. That was the first time Grimes beat Bishop Ludden in like 8 years and they haven't done it since. Wow, it was that long ago, starting to feel old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area