Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:37 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,333,849 times

Advertisements

What happened to Syracuse Football (college)

They were really good not too long ago

Is Syracuse Football huge for upstaters (if you do not mind me calling you that), like PSU football is for Pennsylvanians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 07:29 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
I would say so, at least in this part of the state. I think the selection of Robinson was a big mistake from day one. I would have went with David Walker, who is a Pitt assistant right now. he played for SU in the early 90's, was an assistant under Pasqualoni and is an Upstater from Irondequoit(outside of Rochester). As a person that works at SU, I think they have some good players, but the style of play doesn't fit the team and they hardly go to shotgun, which would make sense for a team that had a suspect O-Line and a QB that can throw, if he has time. Maybe they need to go back to a multi faceted QB like a Marvin Graves or Donovan McNabb again.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM

525 posts, read 1,827,481 times
I think SU is first and foremost a basketball school, so I wouldn't compare it to Penn State. The Dome holds less than half the number of people of Happy Valley and unlike PSU football, it isn't hard to get a ticket to an SU game.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:47 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Eventhough SU is known for being a Basketball school, it's Football program has been good at having NFL players produce at a high level and the basketball program has had some good players, but not like the football program. Think about now, with Marvin Harrison, Donovan McNabb, Donovan Darius, James Mungro and Dwight Freeney, among others recently in comparison to the Basketball program with Carmelo Anthony and that's it. There have been many others in the past as well. So, Football has actually had a strong history at SU and even in the Syracuse area.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,218,456 times
it's a private school for one - so you have to keep that in mind - it also has solid basketball program that takes the lead

however, SU football is followed pretty heavily and I would say it is the program for upstate ..... along with programs like PSU, Notre Dame, etc

personally i can't stand SU - so i'm not upset in the least by their struggles

Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 PM

Are they not getting the recruits they want or what

I mean they were a strong team even when U, BC, and VT were still in the big east

Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,123 times
Compared to schools in the south or PSU, Syracuse football is not followed heavily at all, unless you're right in town. You can probably find just as many ND or PSU fans within 3 hours of Syracuse. I grew up 45 minutes from Syracuse and still follow their football team casually, but it's painful. Robinson is clueless, the dome is outdated and the winters are too long for a large number of recruits, and as someone else mentioned, it's a private school so they don't have the money behind the program like the large state universities.

It has such a rich football tradition, it's sad to see how far they've fallen. I'm not sure they'll ever be a top tier team again because of what they have going against them, but they should be a lot better than what you're seeing now. Robinson should have been gone after last season.

On a positive note, the revised throwback uniforms they wore on Saturday looked great.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKQC View Post
the winters are too long for a large number of recruits
And winters are not long in Madison, Wis or Michigan, or Minnesota? ’

Old 09-03-2008, 08:17 PM

hopefully global warming can help them out a bit

hopefully global warming stops

I guess you guys are in trouble

but I would love to see college football more in the tri-state area

what happened with pasqualoni he was doing well?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:01 AM

474 posts, read 1,749,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
And winters are not long in Madison, Wis or Michigan, or Minnesota? ’
When you're winning or the program is heading in the right direction, weather becomes a secondary factor to a recruit. When the program is heading in the wrong direction (Syracuse), you see weather coming up more often as a reason recruits don't want to come to your school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area