Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Great points about Tops, as they probably, in essence, saved some shopping centers in the area.
In Geneva, they just left a plaza that has seen better days. They moved out of the town and into the city - just about across the street from Wegman's. It's a store in a plaza that was remodeled for them. I haven't been there yet. It opened a few days before Thanksgiving. They built a gas station there as well. The new store has to be better than the old one! The old one was ummm....less than pretty shall I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 04:59 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Great points about Tops, as they probably, in essence, saved some shopping centers in the area.

With Valley Plaza, I would really love to see a Planet Fitness there. It would offer an affordable, but quality facility to
exercise for a community that could and should use it, given the demographics in relation to health risks. If not there, Green Hills Plaza in Nedrow could be another option.
It would be nice to see a Planet Fitness at Valley Plaza. I think the more logical fit (thinking as a retailer here) would be Green Hills Plaza due to the existing mix of occupied buildings and retailers along that stretch of S. Salina and the notion that people residing north of West Seneca Tpk would be just as likely to utilize that location as would people in more rural areas like South Onondaga and more densely populated Nedrow. A discount gym like that probably wants to tap into as many demographic groups and geographic areas as possible without opening mulitple locations within such a small radius. That being said, without a significant renovation of that plaza, I'm not sure they would be even able to land Planet Fitness. I believe a K-Mart was once there decades ago.

It's was unfortunate that the proposed KROCS (sp?) Salvation Army community center on the South Side never materialized. There were literally hundreds of U.S locations in the running and ultimately less than a dozen were picked. I think Massena was able to land one. One a related note, do you know why this plan never panned out?

NBA star wants to build youth athletic, educational facility in Syracuse | syracuse.com

Old 11-26-2012, 07:21 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
It would be nice to see a Planet Fitness at Valley Plaza. I think the more logical fit (thinking as a retailer here) would be Green Hills Plaza due to the existing mix of occupied buildings and retailers along that stretch of S. Salina and the notion that people residing north of West Seneca Tpk would be just as likely to utilize that location as would people in more rural areas like South Onondaga and more densely populated Nedrow. A discount gym like that probably wants to tap into as many demographic groups and geographic areas as possible without opening mulitple locations within such a small radius. That being said, without a significant renovation of that plaza, I'm not sure they would be even able to land Planet Fitness. I believe a K-Mart was once there decades ago.

It's was unfortunate that the proposed KROCS (sp?) Salvation Army community center on the South Side never materialized. There were literally hundreds of U.S locations in the running and ultimately less than a dozen were picked. I think Massena was able to land one. One a related note, do you know why this plan never panned out?

NBA star wants to build youth athletic, educational facility in Syracuse | syracuse.com
I don't know why it never happened and I wonder if it had more to do with Marbury, who is playing in China now, if I'm not mistaken.

I see what you mean with Planet Fitness and I believe the former K-Mart space is currently vacant. It could still reach various demographics and that space would probably be a perfect fit. K-Mart left that space around 1993-1994 and it has housed various things from a skating rink to a bouncy house. Aspen Athletic could be another possibility and it is local. If not a gym, perhaps a local store like Herb Philipson's could be a good fit for that space, as they opened a store in the former K-Mart space in Western Lights Plaza.

Also, I've always wondered about who owned the vacant lot behind the plaza and McDonald's/Aldi. It would be a good location for development in regards to retail and/or housing.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:21 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
That McDonalds in Nedroow had their grand opening today. It had been remodeled to look like the one in Cicero that was recently remodeled. It might have been a new build. I don't get out that way often.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
That McDonalds in Nedroow had their grand opening today. It had been remodeled to look like the one in Cicero that was recently remodeled. It might have been a new build. I don't get out that way often.
I believe it was a new build, as it was completely gone not too long ago. If it is like the one in Cicero, then I'd say that it was worth it.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM

‘Movement on Main’ design competition to improve health in Syracuse area | The Daily Orange

Old 11-27-2012, 03:00 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
I don't know why it never happened and I wonder if it had more to do with Marbury, who is playing in China now, if I'm not mistaken.

I see what you mean with Planet Fitness and I believe the former K-Mart space is currently vacant. It could still reach various demographics and that space would probably be a perfect fit. K-Mart left that space around 1993-1994 and it has housed various things from a skating rink to a bouncy house. Aspen Athletic could be another possibility and it is local. If not a gym, perhaps a local store like Herb Philipson's could be a good fit for that space, as they opened a store in the former K-Mart space in Western Lights Plaza.

Also, I've always wondered about who owned the vacant lot behind the plaza and McDonald's/Aldi. It would be a good location for development in regards to retail and/or housing.

Good point about Marbury. Since he has been relegated to playing bball in China, his new focus is probably paying the mortgage and real estate taxes on his properties in the U.S (if he still owns any). I assume he is also no longer getting revenue from the cheap sneakers bearing his name that were sold at the now defunct Steve & Barry's. He is trying to expand the "Starbury" brand in China, though, according to some articles I've read.

In an unrelated note, the newly constructed building leased to Family Dollar on North Salina Street is already for sale.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
Nottingham Plaza is still working on their facelift. The Rite Aid is now Kinney Drugs and they are adding a Zoom Tan.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Currier Plastics breaks ground on expansion project in Auburn

Old 11-30-2012, 02:40 PM

State hands out $2.9 million to support military bases | syracuse.com

Oneida Nation officials distribute bonuses to 4,000 employees | syracuse.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area