Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 08:02 PM

168 posts, read 394,850 times

Advertisements

Trying to compare Tally to Gainesville....what ALL can you share with me?! =D I am a Mom; F/T student with 2 college age sons....looking to buy and grow with one of these two college towns....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:01 PM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,142,805 times
Tally is more of a Metropolitan city. There is more business and more going on here than Gainesville. Tallahassee has a few more employment opportunities than Gainesville as well.

Tallahassee is very Beautiful city. Its hilly and full of beautiful trees and canopy roads.

Gainesville is a nice city as well, but it is very dominated by the university. The students run that town, and life kind of revolves around the school. Not to say thats bad, but its just an observation.

I think you honestly can't go wrong with either, but I would ask you to visit both places and compare for yourself.

Tallahassee is growing very rapidly and is developing districts, (Downtown, Midtown, Gaines, Market District, etc) Its kind of cool that it is big enough to feel like a medium sized city without being to big.

Gainesville has more of a college town feel to it, which definately is not a bad thing at all. its charming, and has lots to love as well.

These are my thoughts of visiting Gainesville a lot and loving it, and being a Lifelong resident of Tallahassee.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:47 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,942,318 times
The main difference is that Gainesville is a college town. Nothing more, nothing less.

While Tallahassee is a college town as well, it is also the state capital. It's also bigger, so there is just a little more opportunity there. You can also avoid the "collegey" areas for the most part.

In other words, take UF away from Gainesville, and you have Starke. Take FSU and FAMU away from Tallahassee, and it's still the state capital, you know what I mean?

I happen to prefer the natural aspect of Tallahassee. There are so many huge beautiful trees everywhere, and the city park system is top notch. Also, can't beat the rolling hills on the north side of town.

Both cities are also about equal distance to the nearest beach if that matters to you. Gainesville might be a little closer, but it's not a huge difference.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 AM

IF I am looking to get my Bachelors in Business/HR Mgmt/Marketing in the Fall...
Where would you suggest I attend; other than FSU and
Where would you suggest I live? I just rec'd a very small mortgage approval; I thought of something rural, clean, safe, affordable and within 30 mins of school. In a couple of years I could turn it into a rental property and build my 'dream home'.

Thanks for the help!
Robin

Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 AM
TD*

Robin, i will not tell you where you should go to school. This is up to you.

If you choose Leon county, look at the Buck Lake Area for neighborhoods, or Southwood, Or Killearn,

Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 AM

TD - Thanks for the info; I wasn't asking you to tell me 'where' to attend but was asking of the choices other than FSU; sorry that didn't come through. I can make a choice, I don't know what all the decent choices are in the Tally area. I am not interested in Phoenix or Everest for example...

Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
TD*

other schools in tally? oh you have famu and tcc and branches.of Flagler and st Leo

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Old 04-21-2013, 03:36 PM

8 posts, read 19,417 times
Floridaherbgirl - Good luck to you and your educational journey! I too went back to school once my children were in college. I'll be graduating in two weeks! I can say with certainty that my education meant far more as a returning adult than it did when I was a young adult. This time around I found school to be so easy, so, so easy compared to when I was an undergraduate. I chalk this up to maturity and the organizational skills that come with being a parent. Also, because of age and wisdom, I could see the broad implications of the subject matter in every class I took. I also took a 2 week summer study abroad course that was wonderful. Traveling via study abroad exposed me to things that I never would have encountered had I been traveling as a typical tourist. My advice to you is to get involved as much as you can and don't let your age hold you back. You go girl!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM

What a positive reply! Thanks for the encouragement. I never went to school when I was younger, hit the work force (sold software pkgs for awhile to places like the stores at Disney). Then I got married and marketed my husband's career. After my divorce 3 years ago I wasn't impressive on paper so I really, REALLY want that piece of paper. =D That along with my experience I hope to get into a market where I can soar. I have found it harder now that I am older...how in the world did you find it easier!?!? I have a 3.81 GPA but I keep fighting with my math classes; algebra and had to w/d from stats this semester. I am taking a generic math class over the summer along with Ethics and a Library 1 credit course to finish up my AA and then will hit the business school in the Fall. I thought of studying abroad, I think it would be too much fun, and I DO think I would totally absorb every aspect of the travel, the country, the people now that I am older but....I am supporting two college age students as well...and I know they'd want to go with me. So, maybe next summer. I am so grateful I can have this opportunity now; once I have those degrees I'll always have them. Thanks again for sharing!

Old 04-22-2013, 06:44 AM

BTW what is your degree in? Where are you graduating from? What are your goals now that you have it? (((sorry I had to ask))) =D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee