Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times

Advertisements

Without national security against Al Qaeda, no one will want to get on board a high speed railway. For that matter, they won't want to leave their homes. National security has got to be our priority before regional infrastructure projects like building a train route. That's just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:11 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Ohh Spring Hillian, that is a whole other ball game....

if all the money spent in Afg and Irq etc would have been used FOR the US citizens only, we wouldn't have crack towns, NYC wouldn't smell anymore, millions on welfare, our education would be the best of the best and the average citizen would be actually HAPPY!

The only reason we're fighting wars in other countries is to justify gun and ammunition production here, otherwise those would be closed for good, if the US had the US citizens best interest in mind!

"War overseas" never paid the electric bill here......or paid for the ever increasing Publix prices for poultry!

US suffers from a HUGE case of mismanagement! until that's fixed, nothing else will change I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
This is a bit off topic, but if we are fighting a war on drugs, why does 90 pct of the opium for heroin come from Afghanistan? We are throwing good money after bad. Protect our national security from whom? The Taliban?
We can protect our national security right here at our own borders, where it counts. The Afghan govt. is just sucking up U.S. $ while it is in cahoots with the Taliban who will wind up ruling that country anyway.
We have more to worry about with the terrorists that reside right here and now.

But, as far as rail goes, I think it will be a better spent dollar here rather than there. We are only rebuilding the country for the benefit of the next
set of government that is going to rule there.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:12 PM

269 posts, read 607,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am sure Disney can afford to do that, question is, how many more people who have not had a salary increase in years will afford THEIR TICKET and Parking prices???

Also, the route between Tampa and Orlando, will it go over all the apartment buildings in Lakeland alongside I-4? and all the RV dealers? then over Fantasy of Flight and take a dip in that water skiing place??? because if not, the Tampa to Orlando route will become longer since it has to go around so many things along I-4 to get there...not to mention that mall by 27...and the crane rental or auction place, Gaylord Palms Resort etc etc etc.....hahahaha I am sorry this is laughable at best!

This is NOT progress, when it doesn't save ppl travel aggravation and money. All this money should have gone to IMPROVE EDUCATION AND CLASSES FOR AUTISTIC CHILDREN! who have zero options around...and teachers with Art Degrees instead of appropriate degrees to deal with their conditions. The classes have 10+ children, all different ages and different conditions on the spectrum! UNACCEPTABLE! If you want to talk about progress, then this would be a good first step towards it. You have 1 in 10 kids with Autism and no viable education solution around, Speech therapy costs $900 per session, behavioral costs $90 per hour, most insurance companies DON'T COVER ANY OF IT! PROGRESS in this state would be to have State of the Art schools for every autistic child around and not force parents who have not asked for this into $15,000 a year questionable private schools!

This country's Government needs to be ran by STAY AT HOME MOMS who KNOW HOW TO BUDGET! and live on one income and make it work well without debt.

As you will see, this along with other non-sense projects around, will only spend more money not saving people living here any money or aggravations...

Cities like NYC, SF, CHI, LA...etc have been built from the beginning with transit...that's why it works there, In Europe people can't even remember a time without public transit, same goes for Asia.....In Florida, most likely a New Yorker or Northerner desperate to get away from public transit (sweating to death in the summer waiting for the bus or freezing his butt of in the winter) created this endless sprawl and now it is impossible to make it work for everyone. Your property value will decrease per American Standards if you back to a train or rail or highway....noise...etc...Not to mention that you have a lifestyle here...will Craig dump his nice AC'd car with embedded MP3 player and cool features to take the bus daily? would you Tampa Karen? drop you AC'd car to bump elbows with strangers in a bus/rail? I could care less, been there done that, not a novelty by any means so I don't care either way, but most people here will have a huge issue doing that....would Gypsy chick come up here every day from Sarasota with the train?

The ONLY people who will benefit from this would be chronic TEXTERS! They will have a blast 2+ hours riding and texting uninterrupted by stop lights and speed limits! because I doubt the ppl who love driving 30 miles/hr in the left lane would switch for the bus! LOLOLOLOLOL or the ones who love putting make up on, shave, etc who seem homeless since those things are usually bathroom activities!

It will not work. As Ideal as it would be...

I dont agree with you, i think that the bay area, Orlando and USA in general would benefit on a high speed rail.
The Tampa-Orlando line will be a pioneer for the future of transportation in America.

I think that it will bring more tourists to the bay area.
In the future, maybe it will be faster for new yorkers to take the high speed train down to Tampa rather then fly. That will make the property prices rise. Maybe you ask why people dont take the train now?
Amtrak is not an option, it takes 26 hours from NY to Tampa. It is a very long time on the train. Purhaps the high speed train would take 5-6 hours?

I will use the high speed rail but the light rail will be what i would use the most rather than the high speed rail because i will more often travel localy then to Orlando.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
That's fine,

But I think you have them confused, light rail travels through cities and you need accommodating sidewalks for that...look around and see how many roads HAVE sidewalks here and where do they lead?? you will need to redesign shopping plaza's to accommodate FOOT traffic and in most cases you will see only one sidewalk on one side of the street which is not helping travelers that one way.

"I think that it will bring more tourists to the bay area."
simply not true, tourists have a fixed amount of time in town, public transit takes longer to get somewhere because they don't speed at 70 miles an hour and they also have stops along the way. A "tourist" likes to pack as many things as possible when visiting an area and with the way everything is laid out here distance wise, it will take them double the time to get anywhere. Not to mention carrying "souvenirs" around all day through that!

It takes 6 hours from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale with Amtrak! that's the speed of a light rail that normally drives through a town....imagine the news, I can picture it: "Pedestrian hit by light rail"...hmm that would definitely be a "new" one around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
I dont agree with you, i think that the bay area, Orlando and USA in general would benefit on a high speed rail.
The Tampa-Orlando line will be a pioneer for the future of transportation in America.

I think that it will bring more tourists to the bay area.
In the future, maybe it will be faster for new yorkers to take the high speed train down to Tampa rather then fly. That will make the property prices rise. Maybe you ask why people dont take the train now?
Amtrak is not an option, it takes 26 hours from NY to Tampa. It is a very long time on the train. Purhaps the high speed train would take 5-6 hours?

I will use the high speed rail but the light rail will be what i would use the most rather than the high speed rail because i will more often travel localy then to Orlando.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
And what exactly do you believe this military action in Afghanistan and Iraq is going to accomplish in obtaining that goal? Do you realize how many active plots were stopped and attempts that went awry (i.e. the Times Square bomb in NYC, the plotted subway attacks, two airplane attempted attacks) et al. Meanwhile we are spending billions to improve Iraq and Afghanistan, and most of the rest of the world, while the people of these countries would rather just have us out of there and be able to go on with their lives. I think the $ would be much more well spent on improving our defenses instead of being offensive. Too many years of ignoring the problem has gotten us into deep stuff.

But this country cannot sit on it's hands and depend on more oil being burned by more automobiles and continuously provide more roads that are constantly jammed to the hilt no matter how much they get expanded which keeps us dependent on oil to move 1 person at a time in an automobile. The resulting air pollution from the auto itself, not to mention the energy expended in making, transporting, and finally disposing of the vehicle the oil burned in the engine changed every several thousand miles, the rubber for the tires, all this could be curtailed by having mass transit serving a metropolitan area.

It's time to catch up the homeland and improve life for America, one piece at a time. This is not for today, its for tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Without national security against Al Qaeda, no one will want to get on board a high speed railway. For that matter, they won't want to leave their homes. National security has got to be our priority before regional infrastructure projects like building a train route. That's just my opinion.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM

How about straight down the middle of I-4? Been to NYC lately? They put in a light rail from JFK airport to northern Queens where you can step off the plane, onto the rail, take that to a major railroad (LIRR) or the NYC subway system or the NYC bus system or a taxi. That light rail runs
smack dab down a major highway, the Van Wyck Expressway.

It seems people are having no problem making to it to the Mouse House as their attendance is pretty good as is the other Orlando Parks. Universal Orlando just reported at 12 percent increase over last year at this time, thats a million more people. Add in SeaWorld, WDW and the other parks and it does seem to be a heck of a lot of people there. Maybe some of them would like to come to Clearwater/Tampa area to enjoy some things here during their stay? Maybe the world class beaches? Maybe the
great Tampa restaurants? High speed rail from Orlando to Tampa
would certainly fill that void.

You wouldn't remember "The El" or "the elevated" though they are still in use in Chicago, but NYC had ribbons of subway lines going right past
houses, apartments, businesses. They tore them down over the years in NYC, but many still exist.

So, if other countries, Europe, Asia (Japan has a neat system) and others have mass transit why shouldn't Central Florida? It serves all these other places well, why not here? People adjust and take advantage of new
ideas when they have a choice to do so.

Mass Rail Transit didnt start in NYC until 1906. The city was there long before it. It did provide a means of travel to the upper parts of the Bronx which led to the development of much of the Bronx because of that.
Also into Brooklyn and Queens which prior to mass transit were unreachable unless by car.

Of course it will work.

Great speech on the Autistic children though.

Quote:
I am sure Disney can afford to do that, question is, how many more people who have not had a salary increase in years will afford THEIR TICKET and Parking prices???

Also, the route between Tampa and Orlando, will it go over all the apartment buildings in Lakeland alongside I-4? and all the RV dealers? then over Fantasy of Flight and take a dip in that water skiing place??? because if not, the Tampa to Orlando route will become longer since it has to go around so many things along I-4 to get there...not to mention that mall by 27...and the crane rental or auction place, Gaylord Palms Resort etc etc etc.....hahahaha I am sorry this is laughable at best!

This is NOT progress, when it doesn't save ppl travel aggravation and money. All this money should have gone to IMPROVE EDUCATION AND CLASSES FOR AUTISTIC CHILDREN! who have zero options around...and teachers with Art Degrees instead of appropriate degrees to deal with their conditions. The classes have 10+ children, all different ages and different conditions on the spectrum! UNACCEPTABLE! If you want to talk about progress, then this would be a good first step towards it. You have 1 in 10 kids with Autism and no viable education solution around, Speech therapy costs $900 per session, behavioral costs $90 per hour, most insurance companies DON'T COVER ANY OF IT! PROGRESS in this state would be to have State of the Art schools for every autistic child around and not force parents who have not asked for this into $15,000 a year questionable private schools!

This country's Government needs to be ran by STAY AT HOME MOMS who KNOW HOW TO BUDGET! and live on one income and make it work well without debt.

As you will see, this along with other non-sense projects around, will only spend more money not saving people living here any money or aggravations...

Cities like NYC, SF, CHI, LA...etc have been built from the beginning with transit...that's why it works there, In Europe people can't even remember a time without public transit, same goes for Asia.....In Florida, most likely a New Yorker or Northerner desperate to get away from public transit (sweating to death in the summer waiting for the bus or freezing his butt of in the winter) created this endless sprawl and now it is impossible to make it work for everyone. Your property value will decrease per American Standards if you back to a train or rail or highway....noise...etc...Not to mention that you have a lifestyle here...will Craig dump his nice AC'd car with embedded MP3 player and cool features to take the bus daily? would you Tampa Karen? drop you AC'd car to bump elbows with strangers in a bus/rail? I could care less, been there done that, not a novelty by any means so I don't care either way, but most people here will have a huge issue doing that....would Gypsy chick come up here every day from Sarasota with the train?

The ONLY people who will benefit from this would be chronic TEXTERS! They will have a blast 2+ hours riding and texting uninterrupted by stop lights and speed limits! because I doubt the ppl who love driving 30 miles/hr in the left lane would switch for the bus! LOLOLOLOLOL or the ones who love putting make up on, shave, etc who seem homeless since those things are usually bathroom activities!

It will not work. As Ideal as it would be...

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 PM

why do you assume this system will be on ground level?

Trains have been running through this country for 150 years. It's not something new.

Light rail would not travel from Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale. High speed rail would.

Check out South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA)

This is the Broward County, FL system that works like a charm.

If everyone was driving with "speed at 70" you wouldnt have traffic jams in Tampa, would you?

When was the last time you toured a major American city?
In Washington D.C., NYC, and many others I am sure, the tourists use the rail system to get around with all their stuff.

Stop underestimating everyone to the point where they are idiots who can't think for themselves. Choice. Public Transportation or private.
Private will cost you more, but that's a choice.

Quote:
That's fine,

But I think you have them confused, light rail travels through cities and you need accommodating sidewalks for that...look around and see how many roads HAVE sidewalks here and where do they lead?? you will need to redesign shopping plaza's to accommodate FOOT traffic and in most cases you will see only one sidewalk on one side of the street which is not helping travelers that one way.

"I think that it will bring more tourists to the bay area."
simply not true, tourists have a fixed amount of time in town, public transit takes longer to get somewhere because they don't speed at 70 miles an hour and they also have stops along the way. A "tourist" likes to pack as many things as possible when visiting an area and with the way everything is laid out here distance wise, it will take them double the time to get anywhere. Not to mention carrying "souvenirs" around all day through that!

It takes 6 hours from Orlando to Fort Lauderdale with Amtrak! that's the speed of a light rail that normally drives through a town....imagine the news, I can picture it: "Pedestrian hit by light rail"...hmm that would definitely be a "new" one around here!

Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

Gun and ammunition production? OK, if that is what you believe, more power to you. Though the military industrial complex certainly isn't complaining. They haven't had it so good since Vietnam.

I do agree that the $ spent there would have certainly gone to good use here for the American citizen (and all the hangers on).

We fight these mid-east wars to protect our supply of oil. That's the bottom line. If "they" control they oil, "they" control the world.

With projects like mass transit, nuclear/solar/hydro electric projects we can in the future reduce our dependence on foreign oil and thus grant ourselves FREEDOM.

Quote:

if all the money spent in Afg and Irq etc would have been used FOR the US citizens only, we wouldn't have crack towns, NYC wouldn't smell anymore, millions on welfare, our education would be the best of the best and the average citizen would be actually HAPPY!

The only reason we're fighting wars in other countries is to justify gun and ammunition production here, otherwise those would be closed for good, if the US had the US citizens best interest in mind!

"War overseas" never paid the electric bill here......or paid for the ever increasing Publix prices for poultry!

US suffers from a HUGE case of mismanagement! until that's fixed, nothing else will change I'm afraid.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:35 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Some of you here really should do a little research before posting some of this ridiculously ignorant stuff here. First of all, Florida owns a whopping 90% of the right-of-way already for this.

Here you can read exactly where stops will be and where the route will go:

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/planning/economicstimulus/hsr/TK2-16.pdf (broken link)

Old 11-02-2010, 03:39 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,843 times
Quote:
http://forsythe4kc.com/uploaded_images/HeadExplodeBig.gif (broken link)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you are not using a world war one reason and applying it to current overseas conflicts.

Todays wars are primarily not fought with conventional weapons. If you think that is where the money is going, you are CRAZY!

But if you dont know where the money is going, surely our adversaries dont. Money goes towards computers, ISR Platform research and development, fuel, salaries, etc. Weapons and ammo are such a tiny insignificant piece of the puzzle.

wow...

This thread will rightfully be locked any minute now... some of you are completely clueless. I am not recommending you spend time researching your facts before forming opinions, oh wait... yes I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay