Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:45 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
Ahh a topic I know well, FOOD!
Absolutely positively the most overrated place in Tampa Bay is the Taco Bus. That would be followed closely by Columbia Restaurant.
If you have spent any time where there is really good Mexican food (or even Cali-Mex or Tex-Mex), you would know that Taco Bus food is atrocious.
And the Columbia I don't have to say much about since most people who go there regret it and say so all over the Internet.

My fave places in Tampa Bay:

Burgers:
Steak and Shake (everywhere)
El Cap (St. Pete)
Really lots of good places to get a burger in this area, actually.

BBQ:
BJ's Alabama BBQ (South Tampa)
Lucky B's (St. Pete)
Kojak's (S. Tampa)

Fried Chicken:
Maryland Chicken in Plant City

Cake:
Bettycakes in Dade City

Ice Cream:
Paciugo Gelato (St. Pete)

Steak:
Bern's (S. Tampa)

Seafood:
Frenchy's (Grouper sandwich) several locales
Taste of Boston (S. Tampa) for fried clams, shrimp, etc.

Cuban:
West Tampa Sandwich Shop (serves all manner of Cuban food the way a Cuban grandmother would serve it)

Indian:
Laziz (Clearwater)

Breakfast:
Lenny's (Clearwater)
Pinky's (South Tampa)

Pub food/fish-N-chips:
4 Green Fields (Tampa)

Pizza:
Eddie and Sam's (Tampa)

Chinese:
Yummy House (Tampa)

Thai:
Jasmine Thai (South Tampa/Westshore location ONLY)

Sandwiches:
Wrights Deli (South Tampa)

Mexican:
There is no good Mexican food in Tampa Bay. Period.

Overall extraordinary food experience:
Mazzaro's (St. Pete)

Italian:
Casanova (Clearwater)
Love your list! Wish we had a Maryland Fried chicken here in Sarasota/Bradenton!

We used to eat at Jasmine Thai in Carrollwood and thought it was quite good!

The only Mexican in the area that I love is Pancho's Villa in San Antonio (north of Tampa) but haven't been there in several years since we moved. Set in an old house and run by two Mexican brothers.

One FABULOUS place we have eaten only once but going back soon is Salt Rock Grill (Indian Shores). Going back for my birthday next month and can't wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM

3,237 posts, read 6,317,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
I wish Florida was like some states where restaurants are required to hang up a sign with their letter grade in the front window.
In Florida, it's done by county, not state. Some counties require this, some dont. Pasco is actually one that does.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:06 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
In Florida, it's done by county, not state. Some counties require this, some dont. Pasco is actually one that does.
Pasco was the only county in the state that did this until 2005. This article is disturbing and dated 2007. I've eaten in a couple fast food restaurants in Pasco, along hwy 19, and have never noticed the stickers.

The ABC's of Restaurant Cleanliness - Broward/Palm Beach Restaurants and Dining - Clean Plate Charlie

Old 08-13-2011, 02:09 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Quote:

Cake:
Bettycakes in Dade City
Color me dumb, but what is a "bettycake"? Prairie Oyster, I understand

Old 08-13-2011, 03:10 PM

817 posts, read 2,250,248 times
Quote:
Ahh a topic I know well, FOOD!
Absolutely positively the most overrated place in Tampa Bay is the Taco Bus. That would be followed closely by Columbia Restaurant.
If you have spent any time where there is really good Mexican food (or even Cali-Mex or Tex-Mex), you would know that Taco Bus food is atrocious.
And the Columbia I don't have to say much about since most people who go there regret it and say so all over the Internet.

My fave places in Tampa Bay:

Burgers:
Steak and Shake (everywhere)
El Cap (St. Pete)
Really lots of good places to get a burger in this area, actually.

BBQ:
BJ's Alabama BBQ (South Tampa)
Lucky B's (St. Pete)
Kojak's (S. Tampa)

Fried Chicken:
Maryland Chicken in Plant City

Cake:
Bettycakes in Dade City

Ice Cream:
Paciugo Gelato (St. Pete)

Steak:
Bern's (S. Tampa)

Seafood:
Frenchy's (Grouper sandwich) several locales
Taste of Boston (S. Tampa) for fried clams, shrimp, etc.

Cuban:
West Tampa Sandwich Shop (serves all manner of Cuban food the way a Cuban grandmother would serve it)

Indian:
Laziz (Clearwater)

Breakfast:
Lenny's (Clearwater)
Pinky's (South Tampa)

Pub food/fish-N-chips:
4 Green Fields (Tampa)

Pizza:
Eddie and Sam's (Tampa)

Chinese:
Yummy House (Tampa)

Thai:
Jasmine Thai (South Tampa/Westshore location ONLY)

Sandwiches:
Wrights Deli (South Tampa)

Mexican:

Mazzaro's (St. Pete)

Italian:
Casanova (Clearwater)

I'll play-

Burgers:
El Cap (St. Pete)-I agree with...awesome and CHEAP.
Sorry, Steak and Shake? National chains do not count.

BBQ:
Kojak's (S. Tampa)-Used to be better but still darn good 'cue
I also like Hungry Harry's in LOL

Fried Chicken:
Maryland Chicken in Plant City-Again...chains don't count...OTOH, I can't think of a good local fried chicken place.

Cake:
WRIGHT'S DELI....man, they make good cakes.

Ice Cream:
I'd go with the Candy Kitchen in ...Indian Rocks? St Pete Beach? Somewhere in that area.
Also, Bo's for that old-fashioned soft serve stuff

Steak:
Bern's (S. Tampa)-Yes, agreed.

Seafood:
Frenchy's (Grouper sandwich) The Clearwater Beach location. Agree.
Really, there are so many good seafood places in this area that it's hard to name ONE winner. The Colonnade does seafood well though.

Cuban:
BROCATO'S. Hands down.

Indian:
meh...haven't found much great here...but I admit I'm also not a big fan

Breakfast:
I have to admit, I don't eat out much for breakfast...

Pub food/fish-N-chips:
4 Green Fields (Tampa)-Agreed here

Pizza:
CDB...they pile on the cheese and toppings and it's really good.
Cappy's

Chinese:
Still looking for a great buffet in the area...

Thai:
Jasmine Thai (South Tampa/Westshore location ONLY)-Agreed

Sandwiches:
Wrights Deli (South Tampa)-Agreed. Or Datz.

Mexican:
BLASPHEMY. You have not tried Vallarta's nor Estela's, apparently. That's some good eatin there. Also, let me add this...some people think Red Mesa is really great, but I have never been impressed.

Bern's. I actually think some of the local chains serve a better steak than Bern's, but the overall experience is just so over the top...from the interior that looks like an expensive French Brothel, to the tableside salad prep, to HUGE wine list...to the service...the dessert room...that is an experience.

Italian:
Casanova (Clearwater)-I may have to try this...the best I've found has been Benedetto's in LOL but I will admit my experiences have been limited here. I've heard Mazzaro's is good, and also Pagelli.

And a few of my own additions-

German Mr. Dunderbak's

Spanish/Cuban-The Columbia. No restaurant list for Tampa Bay can leave this one off. Honoerable mention to La Teresita

Greek-Either Acropolis, or Hellas in Tarpon Springs. I also like Mykonos in TS too.

Sushi-Jo-To

French-Mise en Place...although this is by default, as the pickings are slim...but it is good.

Others of note-Lee Roy Selmon's...great cheese and bacon grits, and ribs

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,497,674 times
Those of you looking for REAL Mexican food, try La Cabana Del Tio on Drew Street in Clearwater. The tortillas are homemade. Bring cash!

Overrated = Maggiano's, Salt Rock Grill, Hurricane, Cheesecake Factory

Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 PM

353 posts, read 802,268 times
Red Mesa, Estelas, Vallartas, Algusto, Taco Bus, etc. are all horrible. Any Mexican (I am one), Texan, Californian or New Mexican would run out of those places screaming and laughing at how stupid Tampa people are for eating there and thinking it's good Mexican food.

Those places are no better than Taco Bell, but a lot more expensive.

Vallartas specifically is so dirty I dunno how anyone can eat there.

I just refrain from eating Mexican (or what they call Mexican) in Tampa. Or make it myself. Or get on a plane to San Antonio or LA.

I will try La Cabana and see how that goes (even though the negative reviews on Yelp.com do NOT inspire confidence). Homemade tortillas are a good start.

Last edited by saltzman143; 08-13-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,237,396 times
I thought grill 54 on sheldon kind of sucked. My wife loved the sushi but since im not a sushi eater, I got a ny strip (20 bucks and didnt seem as large as most 14 oz steaks I have gotten in the past). The steak took almost 45 minutes and they werent even busy. On top of that, I guess they cook on a wood fire so the steak tasted like a bond fire and the mashed potatoes were so dry I could have eaten chalk and not known the difference. It wasnt the worst food I have had, I just dont think it was worth the 20+ bucks for that meal.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:45 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
I thought grill 54 on sheldon kind of sucked. My wife loved the sushi but since im not a sushi eater, I got a ny strip (20 bucks and didnt seem as large as most 14 oz steaks I have gotten in the past). The steak took almost 45 minutes and they werent even busy. On top of that, I guess they cook on a wood fire so the steak tasted like a bond fire and the mashed potatoes were so dry I could have eaten chalk and not known the difference. It wasnt the worst food I have had, I just dont think it was worth the 20+ bucks for that meal.
I heard they have great crab cakes...but I think I'll pass on this place!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:02 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I'll play-

Burgers:
El Cap (St. Pete)-I agree with...awesome and CHEAP.
Sorry, Steak and Shake? National chains do not count.

BBQ:
Kojak's (S. Tampa)-Used to be better but still darn good 'cue
I also like Hungry Harry's in LOL

Fried Chicken:
Maryland Chicken in Plant City-Again...chains don't count...OTOH, I can't think of a good local fried chicken place.

Cake:
WRIGHT'S DELI....man, they make good cakes.

Ice Cream:
I'd go with the Candy Kitchen in ...Indian Rocks? St Pete Beach? Somewhere in that area.
Also, Bo's for that old-fashioned soft serve stuff

Steak:
Bern's (S. Tampa)-Yes, agreed.

Seafood:
Frenchy's (Grouper sandwich) The Clearwater Beach location. Agree.
Really, there are so many good seafood places in this area that it's hard to name ONE winner. The Colonnade does seafood well though.

Cuban:
BROCATO'S. Hands down.

Indian:
meh...haven't found much great here...but I admit I'm also not a big fan

Breakfast:
I have to admit, I don't eat out much for breakfast...

Pub food/fish-N-chips:
4 Green Fields (Tampa)-Agreed here

Pizza:
CDB...they pile on the cheese and toppings and it's really good.
Cappy's

Chinese:
Still looking for a great buffet in the area...

Thai:
Jasmine Thai (South Tampa/Westshore location ONLY)-Agreed

Sandwiches:
Wrights Deli (South Tampa)-Agreed. Or Datz.

Mexican:
BLASPHEMY. You have not tried Vallarta's nor Estela's, apparently. That's some good eatin there. Also, let me add this...some people think Red Mesa is really great, but I have never been impressed.

Bern's. I actually think some of the local chains serve a better steak than Bern's, but the overall experience is just so over the top...from the interior that looks like an expensive French Brothel, to the tableside salad prep, to HUGE wine list...to the service...the dessert room...that is an experience.

Italian:
Casanova (Clearwater)-I may have to try this...the best I've found has been Benedetto's in LOL but I will admit my experiences have been limited here. I've heard Mazzaro's is good, and also Pagelli.

And a few of my own additions-

German Mr. Dunderbak's

Spanish/Cuban-The Columbia. No restaurant list for Tampa Bay can leave this one off. Honoerable mention to La Teresita

Greek-Either Acropolis, or Hellas in Tarpon Springs. I also like Mykonos in TS too.

Sushi-Jo-To

French-Mise en Place...although this is by default, as the pickings are slim...but it is good.

Others of note-Lee Roy Selmon's...great cheese and bacon grits, and ribs
Mazzarro's flat out rocks! Best italian food in Tampa bay. Yeah, they are expensive, but I have yet to try anything there that was bad.

They are always packed and there is a reason for that.

As for BBQ,........Rib City has best ribs around. Not terribly expensive. About $20 a person. But the ribs and slaw are top notch.

As for steaks, I think Cody's makes a great steak. About $20 and they are always busy too.

Seafood, ok, let me put my flame suit on for this one. I have been to 45 out of the 50 states in America. I have ate at seafood restuarants from coast to coast. Expensive ones, cheaps ones and everything in between and for my money, I have yet to try one that is better than Red Lobster. I must also add that Guppy's in Indian Rocks Beach is pretty darn good though. Excellent food. Honorable mention to Keegans too. Although the menu is a bit limited.

Breakfast, I think Cracker Barrel has best breakfast around. Kissin Cuzzins is pretty darn good too.

Mexican, I like Carmelita's. It's not the best i've ever ate, but it's pretty good for the money.

Fried Chicken.....it's hard to beat Church's. Just massage your arteries so that they don't get clogged while your eating...........it's good stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay