Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 AM

265 posts, read 975,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
I lived in Texas for 3 years in the 90s and ate Mexican all over that state. It's good eating over there, but I'd put Estela's and Vallarta's up against it. Is it AS good as Mexican you'd find in say, Houston? No, but to utterly dismiss those places...come on. They're run by Mexicans, aren't they?

Having spent significant time in both Mexico and Texas I'll take up the debate that outside of San Antonio its hard to find authentic Mexican food in Texas.

What most American's expect and call Mexican food is in fact Tex-Mex.

I've spent time in Chihuahua, Sonora, Durango, Campeche, Yucatan, and Quintana Roo. Just like in the State's there are regional variations in cuisine and the food served in the Southern parts of Mexico varies significantly from the mountainous North and the Pacific varies from the Atlantic.

To the poster who blasted the Taco Bus... Find me another Mexican establishment in Tampa that serves traditional Mayan style achiote seasoned puerco pibil. The taco bus is the closest thing to Yucatan style Mexican food as can be found in Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 09:34 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post
your nuts, chipolte is by far my favorite affordable place to eat. There food always tastes fresh and in my opinion, just plain good!!!
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Most people I speak to feel the same way as you, my pallet just doesn't feel the same way than most people I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post

PS: For the Chipotle lovers out there: The food, which is cooked in a warehouse who knows where, comes in a plastic bag, and all they do at the various restaurants is boil the bag, pour the contents into metal containers, and keep it warm. Yummy.
Ew. That explains the bland taste I get when I eat it, I've always been sensitive to flavors in foods though, I'm always the first to smell or taste when something has gone bad, maybe people just need better noses? :P

Old 08-17-2011, 04:13 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,776 times
Wiltz: I agree that "what most Americans expect and call Mexican food is in fact Tex-Mex."

Just because Taco Bus (allegedly) serves "traditional Mayan style achiote seasoned puerco pibil" doesn't mean it's actually any good.

It's almost as if Tampa Bay has jumped on the whole taco truck bandwagon just to say, "Hey, look, we have a taco truck in Tampa Bay. We are cool, too."

It's not actually "cool" if the food is old and tasteless and served on the kind of tortillas they sell at Walmart.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:26 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
I find all these things to be subjective. We all have different tastes, and no one will ever agree on "good" and "bad".

When we first moved to Lakeland I asked ALL the locals, especially the Mexicans, where was the best Mexican restaurant. They all gave me their recommendations which the majority were for Tapatio's. So we went, and I tell you we never ate anything so tasteless and bland in our entire lives.

I have still never had anything as good as Pancho's in San Antonio (FL). I did have an EXCELLENT quesadilla off a local taco truck here in Sarasota. Local farm chicken and organic tomatoes and spices - delish.

Anyway, everyone will have to agree to disagree. Never tried that taco bus, but it seems expensive for what you get.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:00 PM

485 posts, read 1,012,776 times
Although food is indeed subjective, there are certain universally accepted standards that one expects when one dines out at the various restaurants. Which is why we have food critics, star-rating systems, entire TV networks, websites and movies all dedicated to the exploration of good food.

I doubt I'd ever see a renowned Mexican chef like Juan Pablo Loza go to Taco Bus and rave about it.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:00 PM

55 posts, read 152,463 times
Okay I must say one of my favorite hotels is the grand Hyatt Tampa bay. I come down at least 6 - 8 times a year and stay there. Love the hotel.

Armani's.... way over rated and over priced.

Oyster Catchers.. Over rated but a wonderful spot to sit out by the fire have a few cocktails. Other than that don't waste your time.

Its a little commercial but I love salt rock grill.

Mex... Agave. Worlds greatest margaritas and the food is really good.

Roys fusion. overrated but the sushi was really good.

The best burger is at Flemings steak house. This has become my favorite place. They have whats called five six and seven. Meaning between 5 and seven there are a bunch of app specials and drink specials. for six dollar. Well worth the run. It will be the first place I hit when i get off the plane.
Oh and the waffle house. (you have to remember we don't have them up here)

Just my opinion

Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,498,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parothead View Post

Oyster Catchers.. Over rated but a wonderful spot to sit out by the fire have a few cocktails. Other than that don't waste your time.

Seriously what is in those margaritas? I could drink a whole pitcher.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:08 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Completely agree that Armani's and Oystercatchers are overrated.....but I do enjoy Roy's (and I am generally not a fan of chain restaurants at all), love their seafood and their desserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parothead View Post
Okay I must say one of my favorite hotels is the grand Hyatt Tampa bay. I come down at least 6 - 8 times a year and stay there. Love the hotel.

Armani's.... way over rated and over priced.

Roys fusion. overrated but the sushi was really good.

The best burger is at Flemings steak house. This has become my favorite place. They have whats called five six and seven. Meaning between 5 and seven there are a bunch of app specials and drink specials. for six dollar. Well worth the run. It will be the first place I hit when i get off the plane.
Oh and the waffle house. (you have to remember we don't have them up here)

Just my opinion

Old 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,660,273 times
What about Ocean Prime? Everyone raves about it but I still haven't gone,is it all it's cracked up to be?

Old 08-20-2011, 04:02 PM

3 posts, read 6,565 times
I think the original Columbia in Ybor is overrated. Although the 1905 salad is really tasty, it's still overpriced for what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay