Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 07:56 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,626,446 times

Advertisements

Is Bern's really that great? I've been in Tampa for over two years and still haven't tried them. I love steak, but I'm not sure it's worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM

571 posts, read 791,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltzman143 View Post
Red Mesa, Estelas, Vallartas, Algusto, Taco Bus, etc. are all horrible. Any Mexican (I am one), Texan, Californian or New Mexican would run out of those places screaming and laughing at how stupid Tampa people are for eating there and thinking it's good Mexican food.

Those places are no better than Taco Bell, but a lot more expensive.

Vallartas specifically is so dirty I dunno how anyone can eat there.

I just refrain from eating Mexican (or what they call Mexican) in Tampa. Or make it myself. Or get on a plane to San Antonio or LA.

I will try La Cabana and see how that goes (even though the negative reviews on Yelp.com do NOT inspire confidence). Homemade tortillas are a good start.
Whatever. No offense but Americanized-Mexican is all kind of the same. There's 5 or 6 different ingredients used in different combinations to make about 4 different dishes. Not a whole lot of wiggle room.

It's like sushi, imo. It all tastes pretty much the same no matter where you go.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,324,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post
Whatever. No offense but Americanized-Mexican is all kind of the same. There's 5 or 6 different ingredients used in different combinations to make about 4 different dishes. Not a whole lot of wiggle room.

It's like sushi, imo. It all tastes pretty much the same no matter where you go.
No kidding, you can only make cumin taste so many different ways.

Hard or Soft, chicken or beef, shredded or groun, guacamole or not, etc...

Old 08-13-2011, 11:13 PM

388 posts, read 1,126,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Seafood, ok, let me put my flame suit on for this one. I have been to 45 out of the 50 states in America. I have ate at seafood restuarants from coast to coast. Expensive ones, cheaps ones and everything in between and for my money, I have yet to try one that is better than Red Lobster. I must also add that Guppy's in Indian Rocks Beach is pretty darn good though. Excellent food. Honorable mention to Keegans too. Although the menu is a bit limited.

Red Lobster????

I'll take PJ's, Keegans or Frenchies over RL anytime(yes, I love dives).

Frenchies fish tacos & seafood gumbo rocks!

Old 08-14-2011, 05:36 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,634,850 times
I like the Chihuahua restaurant on MacDill Ave. for Mexican. Perhaps the real Mexicans are derisively laughing at my "stupidity" for liking it , but their food is tasty and fresh and the people who work there are friendly and efficient. It is packed every day at lunch with various uniformed soldiers from the AFB, from all over the world - it's fun for people watching and the lunch specials are a good value, it includes a drink.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:30 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,404 times
Not over-rated - Burgers: Toss up between El Cap and Chattaway (St. Pete)

Not over-rated- Breakfast: Skyway Jack's (St. Pete)

Over-rated - Berns (S. Tampa): pricey but consistent

These are kitchens that I can see. I know, I know, I don't see the walk-in or other behind the scenes processes, but I just like to be able to see where my food is made at the very least.

So, there is some comfort and entertainment watching my food being called in and fired in a busy Waffle House. Sorry, it is a chain but not all of them are corporate owned so I do "cheat" on my subscribed decision to try to stay with the mom-n-pop shops.

To edit/add: to stay on topic-far as over over-rated, I'd have to say Berns only because we do a better job at home.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:05 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,348,395 times
Cool Pancho's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Love your list! Wish we had a Maryland Fried chicken here in Sarasota/Bradenton!

We used to eat at Jasmine Thai in Carrollwood and thought it was quite good!

The only Mexican in the area that I love is Pancho's Villa in San Antonio (north of Tampa) but haven't been there in several years since we moved. Set in an old house and run by two Mexican brothers.

One FABULOUS place we have eaten only once but going back soon is Salt Rock Grill (Indian Shores). Going back for my birthday next month and can't wait!

Been decided, we are going to Pancho Villa Tuesday. TYSM

Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary54mi View Post
Been decided, we are going to Pancho Villa Tuesday. TYSM
Oooh, I'm so jealous! Haven't been there since we moved away 5 years ago. People drive from pretty far to eat there, it has quite the reputation so I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Please enjoy some of their delicious home made chips and salsa for me!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:13 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,348,395 times
Default So wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkfan39126 View Post

When a restaurant uses processed cheese food instead of monteryjack for example it makes a HUGE diffference! Salsa's are all different, mild to hot, tomato taste is what I like, hubby likes hot tomato taste... as well as salsa, Mexican beans are made differently which makes it my favorite type of dinner. There is nothing like chicken fajita's with montery jack cheese on top with great salsa to boot!
Hope Pancho Villa's helps me get my fix!

Old 08-14-2011, 07:25 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Here are the reviews of Pancho's from Yelp - pretty much echos how I feel about it. I feel a day-trip coming on.....

Pancho's Villa Mexican Restaurant - San Antonio, FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay