Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 PM

18 posts, read 38,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
Where will your job be?

It'll be in downtown Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
$1200 on the good side of Lutz (Hillsborough County west of Dale Mabry) won't buy much, but an apartment.

Lithia - TOO Far You'd only have I-4 to commute...
Brandon - Ehh...
Valrico - Nah...
Lutz - Apartment or small 2 bdr house at best
Spring Hill - WAYYY too far...

Northdale, Carrollwood is where you'd want to be, however that means that you want to look on the west side of Dale Mabry between Fletcher and Northdale Blvd. On the east side is can be spotty, but there are nice patches, a RE would be able to sort that for you.
Yes, I was just looking into Carollwood just before I read your post. It seems like an ideal place for us. Now...if I could just find a 3br for no more than $1200.

Also, I just recently have included New Port Richey in my search. I saw a few suitable houses there, too. Wanted to say thanks to you algia for explaining the "why's" to my choices above. Helped me narrow it down.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,306,789 times
No problem at all.

Now NPR may "seem" affordable, but it's no commute to downtown, plus it is retirees central...I wish you could see it first.

On Northdale Blvd there are a bunch of 3 bedrooms in single family homes and also town homes. An RE could dig those up, some my not be listed. Moderator cut: real estate recommendations are not allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKelsey View Post
Yes, I was just looking into Carollwood just before I read your post. It seems like an ideal place for us. Now...if I could just find a 3br for no more than $1200.

Also, I just recently have included New Port Richey in my search. I saw a few suitable houses there, too. Wanted to say thanks to you algia for explaining the "why's" to my choices above. Helped me narrow it down.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-19-2011 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Thanks Annaegel.. That is what I was trying to ask. LOL

If you are working downtown and your hours are 8-5 then you will want to live in Brandon, S. Tampa, Seminole heights, Riverview, but if your hours are more flexible then you could can live in other areas and still make that a 30 min commute
Yes, it will be 8-5. Thanks for the heads up!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
No problem at all.

Now NPR may "seem" affordable, but it's no commute to downtown, plus it is retirees central...I wish you could see it first.

On Northdale Blvd there are a bunch of 3 bedrooms in single family homes and also town homes. An RE cModerator cut: real estate recommendations are not allowed

But all through that area there are a bunch of 3/2's, I am sure you'll find something.
Wow! I'm glad you told me about NPR being an old folks nest.

So I guess my new choices are:

Northdale/Carollwood
Riverview
Seminole

Any other quick suggestions to where I shouldn't be worried if I wanted to go jogging at night....or walk the dog?

You guys have been VERY helpful to me...THANKS!!

Last edited by Keeper; 11-19-2011 at 06:55 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 07:03 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,206,774 times
I would not discount Valrico or Lithia area. Brandon also has some nice areas the drive would meet your requirement of 30 minutes.

Carrollwood and Northdale are nice however you will be pushing that 30 min commute time during rush hour.

There is also Citrus Park area which will also push that 30 minute commute time but you can probably find a house in your price range. If you can go 45 min commute you should check out New Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

What about schools?

Last edited by Keeper; 11-19-2011 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I would not discount Valrico or Lithia area. Brandon also has some nice areas the drive would meet your requirement of 30 minutes.

Carrollwood and Northdale are nice however you will be pushing that 30 min commute time during rush hour.

There is also Citrus Park area which will also push that 30 minute commute time but you can probably find a house in your price range. If you can go 45 min commute you should check out New Tampa and Wesley Chapel.

What about schools?
Keeper,

It looks like Valrico, Lithia, and Brandon are back in the equation now. Since I will be working in Tampa, kids going to school, wife left at home....she says she'd like a pool home so she can enjoy herself when left alone. We'll see. Since a "pool home" is part of the mix now, Carollwood/Northdale is out of the question since there's no way I can afford to rent a pool home there.

Hmm...Citrus Park? How is that area - neighborhood-wise, schools, property, etc. Is there a certain area I should look in there?

Where is New Tampa? I can't find it on any map. Wesley Chapel looked good. I did find a pool home there for $1200 but I want to keep my options open for other areas until I locate the best sq. footage for the money in a safe neighborhood.

Yes, schools will be an issue, too. I have 2 kids left at home (5th & 7th grades).

Thanks Keeper, ma'am, for keeping the thread going. You all are really helping me!

Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Here are the maps, so you can get a better idea as to where to look:

Here is the proximity of these places to downtown. Wesley Chapel may be "cheap" but you'll make up for it in gas to get downtown every day. Too far, and little to do up there. Isolating, your wife will eventually have enough.
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/From%20Citrus%20Park.jpg (broken link)

This is the area of Citrus Park where its nice and very close to Citrus Park mall, stay on the west side of Gunn Hwy and you should be OK!
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/CP.jpg (broken link)

& Lithia, again, far...will increase your commute.
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/Lithia.jpg (broken link)

When you live in a sprawl, you have to weigh in on what is important to you? time spent in traffic? going out to dinner? etc.

& Valrico too:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/Valrico.jpg (broken link)
Quote:
Keeper,

It looks like Valrico, Lithia, and Brandon are back in the equation now. Since I will be working in Tampa, kids going to school, wife left at home....she says she'd like a pool home so she can enjoy herself when left alone. We'll see. Since a "pool home" is part of the mix now, Carollwood/Northdale is out of the question since there's no way I can afford to rent a pool home there.

Hmm...Citrus Park? How is that area - neighborhood-wise, schools, property, etc. Is there a certain area I should look in there?

Where is New Tampa? I can't find it on any map. Wesley Chapel looked good. I did find a pool home there for $1200 but I want to keep my options open for other areas until I locate the best sq. footage for the money in a safe neighborhood.

Yes, schools will be an issue, too. I have 2 kids left at home (5th & 7th grades).

Thanks Keeper, ma'am, for keeping the thread going. You all are really helping me!

Old 11-19-2011, 12:06 PM

Algia,

This is awesome to have all the places on one page for me. It puts things in perspective. I was beginning to become familiar with the areas I've listed but circling them and condensing them like you did was great.

However, not much for rent in Citrus Park, at least I haven't came across a 3/2. One a good note, my wife and I are in agreeance with our likes of a house in Zephryhills at 6312 CHAPEL PINES BLVD. We like the style and it has an enclosed pool for $1195/mo. This is the style we are searching for.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:41 PM

All homes look like that in FL (LOL)

There is a subdivision on Van Dyke rd called Reflections, I swear every house looks exactly like that.

Here is what shows up on Zillow for 33625 (Citrus Park Zip code)

http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/Region%20capture%2012.png (broken link)

Then 33624 Carrollwood:
http://www.commercialphotoservices.com/Region%20capture%2013.png (broken link)

If you're going to rent, rent closer to work, so you can get a true picture of what's the commute like, then when you're ready to buy, you can buy whatever, but you'll be able to make an educated decision as far as what's where etc.

Quote:
Algia,

This is awesome to have all the places on one page for me. It puts things in perspective. I was beginning to become familiar with the areas I've listed but circling them and condensing them like you did was great.

However, not much for rent in Citrus Park, at least I haven't came across a 3/2. One a good note, my wife and I are in agreeance with our likes of a house in Zephryhills at 6312 CHAPEL PINES BLVD. We like the style and it has an enclosed pool for $1195/mo. This is the style we are searching for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay