Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:16 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,294,312 times

Advertisements

Is new port richey a pretty safe area and are jobs plentiful without traveling into tampa?

Old 03-26-2006, 06:17 AM

yes it is very possible

Old 03-26-2006, 12:11 PM

20 posts, read 179,698 times
I've been down here 3 years, I check out NPR briefly, its got a somewhat quaint and more importantly a "walkable" down town its Pasco county so Rte 19 has strip clubs, on the news yesterday was an arrest of a neo nazi trailer that went next door and stabed the neighbor lady for dating a black guy, It has a nice festival downtown (chasco festival), it has some trashy elements, another choice might be Spring Hill, (Hernando County)

As for plentifull jobs, Florida has the lowest unemployement in the country, but there mostly service jobs, there arent many corporations in that area, but Dr offices Dentist offices are everwhere of course.

Old 03-26-2006, 02:02 PM

thanks for the info chip,i appreciate it

Old 04-26-2006, 12:52 PM

5 posts, read 31,417 times
mystree66... New Port Richey is really going down here.. We just moved from there. That town is one of the biggest meth labs around.. I won't mention how high the homeowners insurance is. I'm currently in Spring Hill now.. So far so good. The schools here I don't like at all. But the upside to Spring Hill is I got my daughter into a charter/public school. (they only accept so many kids) for the 6th grade. Next year my other 2 will be out of the public school as well.. This charter school is awesome.. Pasco county kids were even here trying to get in it.. The name is Gulf Coast Academy..
I live closer to 19 (the coast) and there are alot of retired living here. Lots to choose from if you like the country or the city.. Commuting to Tampa is about an hour drive and Clearwater is about the same..

Old 04-26-2006, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 13,810 times
I have a 3 year old son so I frequent the sex offender site quite often. New port richey has 210 registered sex offenders.

If you have kids I would stay away.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:56 PM

598 posts, read 2,270,487 times
We looked for a home in NPR about 3 years ago and had bid on a couple at the time. Luckily (we know now) those all fell through for us. We recently took a drive up there to see those homes and the area just to see how things have changed and boy are we glad we didn't buy there. The immediate downtown area, along the river is quaint and sooooo charming, but just 2 or 3 streets back is a "whole 'nuther world"! The area seems to have gone downhill from when we were home hunting and really sketchy. One street is within the city and the next street is unincorporated. One house is nice, the next house is owned by Fred Sanford, then there's an old run down trailor next to it, then a duplex apartment. We saw no growth in town for the better, very sorry to say, because we really like the downtown but it's just seems stagnant and mixed with nice homes and others kinda trashy. There are some nicer areas if you don't mind deed restrictions (not really our cup-o-tea). Some parts just outside of town are home to "good-ole boys"... you might not want to wander down too many unknown back roads, we were told by the locals.

The "chaso fiasco" is fun and the Christmas celebration is also cool. If I had the money to have a "Florida getaway cottage" I would buy something along the waterfront, but not to live. Now there are some very nice homes with acreage north east of downtown though (out Osceola Dr? I think).

Old 04-29-2006, 06:00 AM

Spring Hill looks nice but I've heard there are alot of sink holes there. Is that true?

Old 04-29-2006, 11:36 AM

598 posts, read 2,270,487 times
Personally I didn't really like Spring Hill when we were looking around, but that's just my opinion. It just seemed like a big subdivision dropped into the middle of a flat dry field...lol. Brooksville was more my cup-o-tea, more trees and some curvy hilly areas. Yes there are alot of sinks holes in SH and also the surrounding areas, but you do see more on the news from SH it seems. You just have to be carefull no matter where you are. Learn everything you can about them, understand what causes them and what to watch for when you're looking at houses... also note that often they run in a line across a neighborhood (following the underground water) so say if the house across the street has signs of a sinkhole and the house behind you has sinkhole damage, and the house you're looking at is between them in the line... could mean trouble for the that house in the future. And also realize that just because a subdivion is BRAND NEW doesn't exempt them from sinkholes or other problems. We've watched these idiot developers build on top of swamps and sell these homes to unknowing northerners, with disasterous results for the new homeowners. Just have to be carefull

Old 04-29-2006, 01:15 PM

28 posts, read 206,019 times
Can't understand how a person complains about run down houses next to nice houses and then states that deed restricted communities aren't their "cup-o-tea"? Deed restrictions maintain the overall quality of a community to agreed upon standards and eliminate the "Fred Sanford" houses previously mentioned as a problem.

Most new developments are deed restricted. Plenty of them around any area north of Tampa. Sun Coast Parkway provides excellent access to Tampa. You might want to consider developments close to the parkway.

Sink holes are primarily a cottage industry created by plaintiff attorneys. Most "sink holes" aren't really sink holes but are due to poor construction and settleling of foundations. NPR is full of billboards advertising attorneys ready to handle your "sink hole" claim. It's cheaper for the insurance carriers to pay them than to fight the vast majority of the claims. It's not so much the proliferation of sink holes that are the problem but the proliferation of sink hole attorneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay