Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzoUSF View Post
^^^
#1 was in Vermont, followed by Indiana and Michigan and then Cigar City.

ratebeer best 2013 - best brewers in the world
Glad to see Bells Brewery out of Kalamazoo got #5. That's the only microbrewery I know on the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 12:17 AM

12 posts, read 105,045 times
I lived in Tampa for over ten years before relocating to Atlanta. It really just depends on what part you're in, but I don't think it is one of the best cities to live in on the East coast nor is it one of the most advanced. I guess it would also depend on where you are moving from, but it is way more laid back (boring) than Miami, nowhere near as versatile as NY or even D.C/Philly (of course!), and does not have as much culture as the other major cities either. Trust me. Its ok though, some nice shopping here and there (international plaza), good seafood, and across the bridge you have clearwater beach and St. Petersburg ,etc. Its decent, but definately not the best. Also the crime has gotten horrendous down in Ybor city.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM

630 posts, read 995,012 times
Is this a joke? NY and Boston are

Old 02-27-2013, 02:56 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,423,197 times
Lol

Old 02-27-2013, 03:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
Is this a joke? NY and Boston are
Puke on both. I never could stand Boston and I lived in the state at one time.

Austin all the way baby!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 PM

7 posts, read 14,219 times
Tampa is not even close to the best metro area; in fact its near the bottom. I've lived in Atlanta, Nashville, Tampa, D.C., Raleigh, and now Richmond/Charlottesville, and frankly I'd put Tampa at the bottom of that list. I've spent considerable time in many other metro areas as well, in which Tampa would rank at or near the bottom of my list.

I truly hate saying this as something about me has already liked Tampa; in fact I met my future wife there (she was a recent transplant as well), got engaged there, and we try to get back yearly. The weather is vastly overrated...most of the year its brutally hot/humid and, now that I'm in my 30's with a family, frankly I like a change of seasons. The water is nice, but after a while it loses its panache and otherwise the topography is very flat and boring.

As others have mentioned, most of the jobs are lower level ones, with (I believe) only 2-3 fortune 500 companies located in the entire region. Thus, there are a lot of knuckleheads and basic weirdos who come (or stay) for the warm winter weather alone while working mundane at best jobs. The ones with the money are retirees or those with second homes; a far cry from my experience with 20-40 somethings in other areas who built/made their wealth there.

Again I hate saying all of this, as my heart will always love Tampa and I'd love to see the place become a great U.S. city. I'm not holding my breath here, however (much like Tampa's downtown ever becoming a happening spot after 5 pm).

Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM

59 posts, read 116,016 times
I'm not even from Tampa or live there but I would put it above my hometown of Philly any day! Are we talking actual downtown or the collective suburbs and general area? It's been 34 and pouring rain here all day, I'll take Tampa where I can use my boat year round, use a pool more than 3 months a year and basically be in a location where I/you can make the best of it. Seriously, what hobbies and activities can you do in Philly from October-May? If we are only talking jobs and careers, well, there is more to life than just working.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:13 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
(quote)Vibrant nightlife is much more limited to the likes of young people. ( Miami)
Papi, you don't know what you talking about! One of the things I miss is the fact that the older crowd does have a great social life.. I get to watch my friends on FB,,,. not just dancing- picnics/ fishing/ the arts/ dining/ there always a new place to see. and things to do/

Old 11-27-2013, 01:57 PM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times
I'm not a huge fan of Tampa itself but find many of the Pinellas County communities (Indian Rocks Beach, Belleair, Pass-A-Grille Beach, St Pete Beach, South Pasadena, Tierra Verde, Countryside, Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake) some of the best of anywhere I've ever lived (DC, Philly, NYC, Raleigh/Durham, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale/Miami). It's aesthetically beautiful, the weather is great and I find the people nicer than most anywhere.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:14 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Tampa itself but find many of the Pinellas County communities (Indian Rocks Beach, Belleair, Pass-A-Grille Beach, St Pete Beach, South Pasadena, Tierra Verde, Countryside, Safety Harbor, Oldsmar, East Lake) some of the best of anywhere I've ever lived (DC, Philly, NYC, Raleigh/Durham, Orlando, Ft Lauderdale/Miami). It's aesthetically beautiful, the weather is great and I find the people nicer than most anywhere.
^ This 100%

I am not a city fan anyhow, but I agree with the basis of this post. Simply awesome place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay