Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM

315 posts, read 652,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-R-B View Post
It might not have been a problem in and around Spring Hill 20 years ago, but it was definately happening in Pinellas back then.

We moved here from Massachusetts in 1987 and both of my parents were shocked at the drivers then- of course, it's a lot worse now.

Road design..(or lack there of) has a lot to do with it-many of the roads up north don't allow left turns across traffic like on U.S.19 and also don't have traffic lights every 200 yards like through out Pinellas.

In addition, the amount of time spent sitting at red lights (especially going east/west in Pinellas) is unreal. I have travelled all around this country (and other countries) and have never experienced red light wait times as excessive as here.....anywhere....period.

The lack of traffic enforcement (especially in Pinellas) adds to the problem also. I almost never see anyone getting pulled over for reckless/careless or aggressive driving around here......just accidents and DUI's. Compared to other places I've been, I don't think we have enough traffic law enforcement for the amount of people crammed onto our roads.

What I dont get is when people say "oh how can tampa be #2 in worst traffic when up nawth its sooo much worse, lets just keep cramming more people into the state until we end up like NY or DC" the reasons you outlined above is why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:05 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,201,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Since a good majority of the drivers in FL are from somewhere else to begin with, I think that the problem is elsewhere and the results show up when you have all the lousy drivers from around the world coming here to live and drive.

This was not a problem 20 years ago here.

Its the new implants and their home bred problems.
It is not just the transplants. The standard of test for getting a license here is ridiculous! Have you been to one? I was and shocked by how easy the test was. They give a green light for people to drive without testing them in city at all, don't look at them if they even can make a safe lane change on 45mph, nada. These people are not tested even on Dale Mabry or similar roads. That was unbelievable to me.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the awesomee View Post
What I dont get is when people say "oh how can tampa be #2 in worst traffic when up nawth its sooo much worse, lets just keep cramming more people into the state until we end up like NY or DC" the reasons you outlined above is why.
I was stationed in New Jersey for 3 1/2 years when in the Air Force....and one thing I noticed right away was the amount of local police and state troopers that were positioned at the beginning of each township looking for speeders and/or aggressive type drivers. People always talk about the New Jersey Turnpike being "crazy".....I found it to be the exact opposite coming from the Tampa Bay area, there was always police/state troopers merging on and off of the turpike at the begining and end of the township/city lines. I saw many, many people getting pulled over for speeding, lane changing aggressively with no turn signal, ect. ect. The REAL POSSIBILITY of consequences keeps most people from driving like a**holes.

It might be more expensive to live in places like New Jersey, New York, New England, ect....but the state income tax that they pay helps fund ADEQUATE LAW ENFORCEMENT that helps keep the PUBLIC ROADS from becoming "every man for himself" and "f##k you-you're in my way" like it is down here. They also fund better road planning....like "jug handles"....you can't make a left across traffic because it will effect the MAJORITY of traffic, so.....you have to go down a little further and take the "jug handle" at the traffic light which will allow you to travel back the other way so you can make a right turn into your destination. It's WAAAAAAAAY safer and it doesn't effect the traffic flow of the MAIN ROAD where MOST of the people are travelling. It works like a charm.

Also, the idiots down here put in a traffic circle at Clearwater beach. I knew it wouldn't work from the start and here's why: Traffic circles up north are different- the roads that enter/exit the circle are main roads with speed limits from 40-60 mph....so, the vehicles slow down to about 30-35mph through the circle and exit under accelleration back up to the speed limit and it all flows perfectly. there are no traffic lights and crosswalks just outside the circle to cause any back ups. the circle at CLRWTR Beach has crosswalks and traffic lights as soon as you exit the circle causing traffic to stop and back up into the circle....poor planning.

These, and many other things add up to an incredibly frustrating experience on our roads. Do other cities (especially major one's) have worse "traffic"??......yes, but it is just plain out of control down here because of the CRAZY, RECKLESS driving and terrible road planning, and to top it off...lack of traffic law enforcement.

Lets not forget the lack of a law that states that you must use a hands free device while driving....it's a freaking no bainer- texting, ect. is SOOO DANGEROUS. Most other places have had these laws in place for over a decade already.

Of course, if and when they pass it here.....no one will get pulled over for breaking that law because they're aren't enough law enforcement officers to regulate our crazy azz roads.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
I agree- except for this week- saw 10 police cars pulling people over from the Veterans over to the Causeway where its is 50MPH!!-- problem is, after the light at Ben T Beach, they all still hauled a** towards Clearwater. They really do not care, I still say they are arrogant self self-serving, serlfish people who think they own the road, and I seen young folks from the college (by tags) as well as middle aged men and women. The elderly are driving on the left lane at 20 MPH- looking at the birds, making every body else weave n race around them. After I lost my 2nd son, to a bad driver, I will never have any sympathy for people who get ticketed for bad driving. Wished it happened more. As for Miami, you are very right, you know what to expect and every body drives the same. Here there is not enough roads for the cars they have, they never expected this town to grow.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Yes. I took my DL road test in FL when I got here. It was in a parking lot. They wanted to make sure you were able to operate a vehicle. Not everybody lives in an urban area where such traffic exists. I also did the road test in NYC. Not much different. Turn, park, K-turn, stop at a sign. Not too much involved.

Frankly, I think there should be a mandatory driving school course before you get a license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
It is not just the transplants. The standard of test for getting a license here is ridiculous! Have you been to one? I was and shocked by how easy the test was. They give a green light for people to drive without testing them in city at all, don't look at them if they even can make a safe lane change on 45mph, nada. These people are not tested even on Dale Mabry or similar roads. That was unbelievable to me.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
it would also help our taxes and improve polie, etc. if people who move here from out of State would get a Florida license tag but it seems that many of them have no clue or want to save money by driving year round with plates from up North...and most of them don't drive better than Floridians!

In Europe we learned to use our mirrors, over here mirrors are to put up make up, look if you shave your self correctly, get the dirty stuff from the fast food off your face instead of using them to check on cars behind you and to see if the road is clear to change lanes...

Old 12-27-2012, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 207,309 times
To me it's the folks that hang out in the left lane, period. I'm not a speeder, but when folks just stay out there and then right before they get to their exit they fly across all lanes, it bugs the heck out of me. Stop light to stop light left lane drivers do the same thing. If there are a few of them that just do 5mph under the speed limit, you can't get anywhere. They are the same folks that see you at the next red light and make comments like posted above: "See, you didn't get anywhere anyway". Well you're right, because there are 5 other jerks doing the same thing you're doing. They just don't get it. Bottom line, if you're not passing anyone, get over. It's not a hard concept. Too many "I'm the only one on the road" folks.

Plus, I agree with the other poster about what's needed to get your license. Jeesh, when I grew up you were with a state trooper for a minimum of 30 minutes in the car. They absolutely would not pass you if you did something wrong. I also notice many more younger folks. People have more money as parents than ours did. You were a well off family if you had a car in high school. Today everyone seems to have one.

FWIW, every state is the same. I've lived in 5 across the nation for extended periods of time. Same drivers everywhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
how true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tights24 View Post

FWIW, every state is the same. I've lived in 5 across the nation for extended periods of time. Same drivers everywhere.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:48 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,621,525 times
Quote:
Yes. I took my DL road test in FL when I got here. It was in a parking lot. They wanted to make sure you were able to operate a vehicle. Not everybody lives in an urban area where such traffic exists. I also did the road test in NYC. Not much different. Turn, park, K-turn, stop at a sign. Not too much involved.

Frankly, I think there should be a mandatory driving school course before you get a license.
I agree. When I was in school we had drivers education which was classroom and time behind-the-wheel with an instructor. I'm not sure if that is done here in Florida or if it's still done in NC. I know getting a license in NC now is a graduated system that takes around three years before you have full driving privileges. That is for young drivers, I'm sure it's easier for an adult getting their first license. The road test I went through was much more thorough than what FL requires.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,896,649 times
Quote:
Since a good majority of the drivers in FL are from somewhere else to begin with, I think that the problem is elsewhere and the results show up when you have all the lousy drivers from around the world coming here to live and drive.
This is so true!

When I say people "here" don't know how to drive properly or are bad drivers, I do mean people that are here now and not necessarily people born here. When I see the aggressive driving, I feel very confident they are probably from NJ & NY. I hear their accent all the time in stores and it's always the people who are angry all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay