Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times

Advertisements

All the heavy rain missed me to the west, south and north by .25 miles.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM

226 posts, read 339,929 times
What was that about the beach not getting rain if stuck in reverse west wind...can someone explain that a little better...since we're heading there next month I was somehow convinced it would pour down every afternoon around 4 or so at the beach. We will mostly be a Honeymoon/Caladesi as that's where we are staying-but will also visit Ft. De Soto-Sand Key and Pass-A-Grille.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
What was that about the beach not getting rain if stuck in reverse west wind...can someone explain that a little better...since we're heading there next month I was somehow convinced it would pour down every afternoon around 4 or so at the beach. We will mostly be a Honeymoon/Caladesi as that's where we are staying-but will also visit Ft. De Soto-Sand Key and Pass-A-Grille.
9 out of 10 times when we are in a reverse west wind flow small showers die off at sunup just offshore and then rebuild inland with the heating of the day and move toward the east coast. Sometimes we have lots of upper level energy and will get rain all day coming onshore from the gulf, but that is rare.

Since we are in a west flow 85% of the time you should be fine at the beach.

Only when we are in a southeast wind flow do you have to worry about rain at the beach from around 4 to 8pm. Timing varys everyday.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
We were dry a little longer than normal this year, but we have been back to normal for a couple of weeks now. The beaches are certainly getting rain, as they did again today. These are pop-up storms from the elevated temps and dew-points, among other things, so not everyone gets them every day.....but they have been around. Western Pasco County and Southern Pinellas County and down to Sarasota "area" have been doing very well.

Reverse west wind flow is simply a silly term someone made up referring to a western sea-breeze. We get a western sea-breeze and we can also get a flow from the southeast/east. Where they come together is where the greatest chance for storms is and then they typically move west or east.....sometimes south or north. So much depends on wind direction at different levels.

But make no mistake...the term reverse west wind flow or certain variations of that term are simply silly ways of saying western sea-breeze.....probably in an attempt to make it more professional sounding.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:43 PM

226 posts, read 339,929 times
HA...ok, western sea breeze makes more sense to me now I lived in coastal cities growing up in S. America-so had heard THAT term but not reverse west wind flow.

Prius-I know you are given a hard time, but I will say I do appreciate the positivity in the posts (even if repetitive ha). A lot has to do w/your level of happiness when it comes to embracing everything where you live (home, work, family). I've lived in Atl most of my life-I have NEVER liked it-as mentioned, grew up in coastal towns and as a kid loved being so close to the beach-as a teen I was an hour away but still we went any chance we had. SURE, I can travel to the beach, but I need to LIVE close to the beach and see as much water bodies as possible-and NO the lakes here just don't cut it for me. I know it won't be perfect-no place is...but hey, the cost of living is lower then in San DIego's awesome perfect year round weather.

We are going to be looking around East Lake, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, maybe even Countryside-or the east of Palm Harbor area for neighborhoods. I think given the crap schools I have here, either Countryside HS, PHU, or East lake should be decent options. S. Harbor still calls at me because of the ease to the beaches-and my job would likely be at TPA airport...shoot I commute 35-40 min to work every day now-so I can live w/that there.

If I were older and kids moved out, I'd likely choose Dunedin/Ozona but that would be further from work also-so maybe retirement age.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
HA...ok, western sea breeze makes more sense to me now I lived in coastal cities growing up in S. America-so had heard THAT term but not reverse west wind flow.

Prius-I know you are given a hard time, but I will say I do appreciate the positivity in the posts (even if repetitive ha). A lot has to do w/your level of happiness when it comes to embracing everything where you live (home, work, family). I've lived in Atl most of my life-I have NEVER liked it-as mentioned, grew up in coastal towns and as a kid loved being so close to the beach-as a teen I was an hour away but still we went any chance we had. SURE, I can travel to the beach, but I need to LIVE close to the beach and see as much water bodies as possible-and NO the lakes here just don't cut it for me. I know it won't be perfect-no place is...but hey, the cost of living is lower then in San DIego's awesome perfect year round weather.

We are going to be looking around East Lake, Oldsmar, Safety Harbor, maybe even Countryside-or the east of Palm Harbor area for neighborhoods. I think given the crap schools I have here, either Countryside HS, PHU, or East lake should be decent options. S. Harbor still calls at me because of the ease to the beaches-and my job would likely be at TPA airport...shoot I commute 35-40 min to work every day now-so I can live w/that there.

If I were older and kids moved out, I'd likely choose Dunedin/Ozona but that would be further from work also-so maybe retirement age.
Why thank you overit2.

I try to provide the best and most factual posts possible. Some are strictly based on facts, but other things are subjective topics. I try to put IMO on those.

Unfortunately this is the internet, so it is possible to find false or misleading information as well. Sometimes people even falsely claim to own 27 homes here, in an effort to convince people they know what they are talking about. One really needs to be careful of what they read.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:07 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
We were dry a little longer than normal this year, but we have been back to normal for a couple of weeks now. The beaches are certainly getting rain, as they did again today. These are pop-up storms from the elevated temps and dew-points, among other things, so not everyone gets them every day.....but they have been around. Western Pasco County and Southern Pinellas County and down to Sarasota "area" have been doing very well.

Reverse west wind flow is simply a silly term someone made up referring to a western sea-breeze. We get a western sea-breeze and we can also get a flow from the southeast/east. Where they come together is where the greatest chance for storms is and then they typically move west or east.....sometimes south or north. So much depends on wind direction at different levels.

But make no mistake...the term reverse west wind flow or certain variations of that term are simply silly ways of saying western sea-breeze.....probably in an attempt to make it more professional sounding.

I can't believe I'm going to explain this again....but here goes....

A "sea breeze" occurs when there is a LAND BREEZE FIRST.....which is the NORMAL summertime pattern....

The REVERSE (AS IN- REVERSE SUMMER TIME PATTERN) West wind flow...is when there is a west or southwest wind all day and night......

IT IS DIFFERENT THAN A REGULAR SEA BREEZE

"priush8r" doesn't know what he(?) is talking about......

IT IS NOT A "MADE UP" TERM......IT IS USED BY LOCAL METEOROLOGISTS TO EXPLAIN THE "REVERSE SUMMER TIME PATTERN"

east/southeast in the morning...sea breeze in the afternoon = NORMAL PATTERN

west/southwest in the morning...west/southwest in the PM = REVERSE PATTERN

GOT IT?

Old 06-23-2013, 06:11 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
All the heavy rain missed me to the west, south and north by .25 miles.

On the bright side, your lawn doesn't need cutting again one hour after you've mowed.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
On the bright side, your lawn doesn't need cutting again one hour after you've mowed.
It's all sand anyways.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:15 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,260 times
I can't believe that people on this forum listen to detailed weather explanations from someone who has only lived here for several months...............

Instead of people who have been watching, studying, and experiencing the local weather for decades......

In addition to watching and listening to the local meteorologists explain our weather over and over for decades.....

Just unreal.........

And soooooooooooooooooo annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay