Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2013, 04:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times

Advertisements

Another day of elevated dew points and another day of pop-up thunderstorms moving through Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco Counties.....all the way to and then off of the coast.

Gotta love the increasing dew points and thunderstorms......finally......even though it ain't the middle of June yet.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM

484 posts, read 761,743 times
It has missed me againnnnn

Old 05-29-2013, 04:19 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
I don't see any blow ups in our area. Just a few small ones way to the south. This is what happens when we get a stronger east wind, it keeps the seabreeze just offshore and we get no lift for some big T-storms. Plus what showers we get are weak and move thru pretty fast.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:35 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,608,515 times
Aw, come on!! It missed us again! It was pouring literally three blocks from my house, and nothing but a few tiny sprinkles here.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,910,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
Aw, come on!! It missed us again! It was pouring literally three blocks from my house, and nothing but a few tiny sprinkles here.
But at least they are popping up in all the counties, from Hernando, to Pasco, to Pinellas and Hillborough. The nature of pop-ups is hit or miss.....but they are fun to watch. Those who are under these storms are getting quite heavy downpours. We can thank the breeze from the southeast to the northwest for all these storms. There's all kinds of activity down Miami way and everything is rotating up this way.

This is what I have been hoping for and will only get better as the dew points continue to climb.

It's just so nice to see that storms do indeed make it to the coast here. I'm glad I pay attention to accredited professional sources for my info.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM

30,438 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi07 View Post
You must have a force field like i do. I see it time after time in the summer, it will rain half a mile all around me and i get nothing.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:13 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Another day of elevated dew points and another day of pop-up thunderstorms moving through Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco Counties.....all the way to and then off of the coast.

Gotta love the increasing dew points and thunderstorms......finally......even though it ain't the middle of June yet.
Some of my favorite memories of living in the Bay Area was the 3pm thunderstorms, then... playing tackle football in the flood waters that remained afterwards...

Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,657,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Some of my favorite memories of living in the Bay Area was the 3pm thunderstorms, then... playing tackle football in the flood waters that remained afterwards...
My son came home mud from head to toe...I used to make him strip down in the garage!!!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:18 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
My son came home mud from head to toe...I used to make him strip down in the garage!!!
Yeah, sounds familiar. Great memories

Old 05-29-2013, 05:29 PM

892 posts, read 1,578,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
But at least they are popping up in all the counties, from Hernando, to Pasco, to Pinellas and Hillborough. The nature of pop-ups is hit or miss.....but they are fun to watch. Those who are under these storms are getting quite heavy downpours. We can thank the breeze from the southeast to the northwest for all these storms. There's all kinds of activity down Miami way and everything is rotating up this way.

This is what I have been hoping for and will only get better as the dew points continue to climb.

It's just so nice to see that storms do indeed make it to the coast here. I'm glad I pay attention to accredited professional sources for my info.
Man o man................

The only reason the storms made it all the way to the coast is because the east wind is much stronger than the sea breeze....today.

Under NORMAL circumstances....the easterly flow is around 10 knots and will decrease slightly in the mid-day hours....the sea breeze is usually 8-12+ knots and will "overcome" the east winds shortly after lunch on most days....

The storms will "blow up" where the breezes (east and west) stack up against each other......if the east wind is a tad stronger, the sea breeze will be later in the day....and closer to the coast.

If the east wind is light....the storms will "blow up" inland (I-75 corridor) as the sea breeze penetrates further inland and earlier in the day......

If the storms don't "rain themselves out" by the time the sea breeze lets off after sunset, then the storms will be pushed toward the Gulf by the east wind that has been "pressing" up against them all day.....

The best case for immediate coastal areas to receive rain in the NORMAL summertime pattern is a 12-15 knot east wind that dominates until around 2:30pm- 3:30pm.....then, a WEAK sea breeze forms very close to the coast and the storms "stack up" from U.S.19 westward.......then, the WEAK sea breeze lets off around 4pm-5pm and the storms are pushed out into the Gulf, giving the immediate coastal areas a soaking.

The strong easterly flow we are experiencing right now is not "normal"........

When we finally settle in to the "normal" summertime pattern- the weather day-in and day-out will be almost exactly the same.....every day.....

The only exception during this time would be the dreaded "reverse summertime pattern".....which consists of a west/southwest flow all day and night....complete with crazy high dew points and SOME coastal areas receiving heavy rain from 3am through the early afternoon hours- this pattern is the most oppressive combo of heat/humidity in the area.

Normal Florida weather is a battle between 2 sea breezes (Atlantic and Gulf) and that is how it works.

I know it sounds "cocky".....but if you don't agree with my explanation- than you are flat out wrong about the weather in this part of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay