Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 12:24 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,699,605 times

Advertisements

I definately have nothing against anyone in the medical field. I once wanted to enter into it but was discouraged on how my grandfather, a Vet., was treated so it turned me off to the industry. Now-I must say, I still want to be in the medical field but I don't think I can make that happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
What is outrageous about a business owner, one whom has extensive medical knowledge, choosing to not accept patients whose parents have decided that medical professional's advice is incorrect? That's as much their right to do as it is yours to go elsewhere; nothing outrageous about it. Do you regularly tell other people how to do their job and get outraged when they choose to not listen to you?

Old 10-30-2013, 12:27 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
My wife is a medical doctor in a child-related field, but not pediatrics. She was in school, residency and fellowship until she was 32. I can assure you she didn't rack up massive student loans and wait until she reached her 30's to have her first real job just so she could be a government puppet; your theory is ridiculous and insulting to anyone who's spent half their life learning medicine so they can help people.

If you're looking for an entity to vilify, try the insurance companies. They often affect doctors' courses of treatment because they will only cover certain ones even if the doctor thinks something else would be more effective; you have to do the one they'll pay for first and let it fail before they'll pay for the better option, unless the patient wants to outside of insurance.
Great, so she is now making 6 figures, I barely make 5, and cannot afford her, yet my employer expects me to be healthy! If she (and other doctors) are so concerned that "insurance companies" are messing with their clients, then they should stand up for their clients and NOT the insurance companies.

P.S. It is ridiculous to expect people who don't even break $40k pay your medical school student loans in an age where these people who live between 15k and 40k have their own loans to pay! Especially these days when they require a bachelors degree to be a secretary where you play in Word all day! Ridiculous! Healthcare and doctors in America are Only for the rich!

Last edited by PhotoProIP; 10-30-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
I definately have nothing against anyone in the medical field. I once wanted to enter into it but was discouraged on how my grandfather, a Vet., was treated so it turned me off to the industry. Now-I must say, I still want to be in the medical field but I don't think I can make that happen
The VA is a good example of big government interfering in healthcare, but not by way of conspiring doctors. Just like insurance companies, the government defines what the VA doctors must do to treat a patient; if the diagnosis is X, then treatment with drug Y is required, and drug Z, which the doctor may know would work better, cannot be prescribed until drug Y doesn't have the desired effect. The veteran and doctor have no choice in the manner; if you want the VA to pay the bill, you have to do what the VA says the course of treatment is.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 PM

For me, I am not so sure that they are involved but I do know that what is being proposed insurance wise isn't the right approach. I think there are other ways that this whole healthcare thing can be handled. I know for myself, I blame the politicians over everything else.

Quote:
My wife is a medical doctor in a child-related field, but not pediatrics. She was in school, residency and fellowship until she was 32. I can assure you she didn't rack up massive student loans and wait until she reached her 30's to have her first real job just so she could be a government puppet; your theory is ridiculous and insulting to anyone who's spent half their life learning medicine so they can help people.

If you're looking for an entity to vilify, try the insurance companies. They often affect doctors' courses of treatment because they will only cover certain ones even if the doctor thinks something else would be more effective; you have to do the one they'll pay for first and let it fail before they'll pay for the better option, unless the patient wants to outside of insurance.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:54 PM

In the case of my grandfather-it was sad. We found out that he was terminally ill. The doctor's bedside manor was horrible. He told my grandpa-"you're going to die, there's nothing I can do for you. I give you a year but you will not live past that. You are dying." He made it 3 weeks.

That was what turned me off to the medical industry-not because of any other incident, was just how he told him. I mean, you should've seen the look on my grandpa's face...and my grandma.
But yeah, it wasn't a treatment issue...that seemed to be ok.

Quote:
The VA is a good example of big government interfering in healthcare, but not by way of conspiring doctors. Just like insurance companies, the government defines what the VA doctors must do to treat a patient; if the diagnosis is X, then treatment with drug Y is required, and drug Z, which the doctor may know would work better, cannot be prescribed until drug Y doesn't have the desired effect. The veteran and doctor have no choice in the manner; if you want the VA to pay the bill, you have to do what the VA says the course of treatment is.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:57 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Vaccines are a matter of public health not individual choice, your child can transmit disease to other kids too young for the vaccines, not to mention the cost to the system, while your kid (hypothetically speaking not wishing ill on on anyone) is on the hospital for some entirely preventable disease the taxpayers are footing the bill through kidcare or ER visits, even if you are insured people on your plan are eating those cost up.
So if your child is vaccinated then why worry! If you know you'll be traveling to some hole in the wall place (or are a constant traveling type family) then you vaccinate, but if the environment doesn't change why bother? (BTW I am not referring to all vaccines, just certain ones). It is an individual choice because I cannot allow my child to be infested with so many chemicals when we don't go anywhere! Plus, kids need to build immunity too, and not be dependent 100% on these chemicals!!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:01 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
The Affordable Health Care Act (also known as Obama care although it wasn't his idea) is trying to give American citizens health care, health care that they can afford.

The Affordable Health Care act IS NOT only for those working full time. Anyone can get into the health care market place UNLESS they already have insurance through their employer.

What double standard do you refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
etc

I am a spouse, and I cant get insurance under this Obamacrapcare either because I am the spouse and it is only for those working full time (however many those are now since most employers have cut hours to NOT offer this healthcare. Another abuse on the citizen here!) This whole healthcare here is worst than 3rd world countries. It's embarrassing that a country of our size cannot offer it's citizens health care, (which they need in order to work, and make their bosses rich!) Double Standard!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:13 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The Affordable Health Care Act (also known as Obama care although it wasn't his idea) is trying to give American citizens health care, health care that they can afford.

The Affordable Health Care act IS NOT only for those working full time. Anyone can get into the health care market place UNLESS they already have insurance through their employer.

What double standard do you refer to?
Affordable is a matter of opinion . I dont consider Obamacare affordable at all ....

Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
What happens if your child meets a kid who has traveled and didnt get vaccinated?
What if a kid comes from another country where vaccinations are not the standard?

Vaccination is done to protect against infectious diseases and works by 'priming' the immune system with a immunogen. Vaccination triggers an immune response with less harm than natural infection. These are not chemicals, but are derived from the virus or bacteria they are meant to target and are grown in culture and then killed.

People don't "build immunity" to horrible diseases. They die from them.

Quote:
So if your child is vaccinated then why worry! If you know (or are a constant traveling type family) then you vaccinate, but if the environment doesn't change why bother? (BTW I am not referring to all vaccines, just certain ones). It is an individual choice because I cannot allow my child to be infested with so many chemicals when we don't go anywhere! Plus, kids need to build immunity too, and not be dependent 100% on these chemicals!!

Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM

819 posts, read 1,409,089 times
Quote:
Great, so she is now making 6 figures, I barely make 5, and cannot afford her, yet my employer expects me to be healthy! If she (and other doctors) are so concerned that "insurance companies" are messing with their clients, then they should stand up for their clients and NOT the insurance companies.
Her salary, and yours, are not relevant to the discussion.

Regarding standing up to insurance companies; here's how that works. If she were in a private practice and told the insurer they were wrong, they'd say send the patient elsewhere if you feel that way. If she disobeyed their guidelines and prescribed what she felt was best anyway, the patient will get better and then get denied coverage for their bills. So they're healthy and bankrupt. If she is in a group practice who chooses the 'stand up' to the insurance company, the insurer would simply remove that practice from the provider list for their insured. Did that accomplish anything other than sending all those patients elsewhere? No. If she were a board member of a mega healthcare conglomerate that said to an insurance company we feel treatment Y for $1000 is better than your required first step of treatment X for $500, you need to change it. Well, then the insurance company is going to say okay, we'll switch to treatment Y but we're only willing to pay $500 for it so you eat the difference, then the hospital system raises their fees that the patients have to pay for everything else to compensate.

I don't have a solution, just making some counter points to the conspiracy theory that doctors are somehow in on making people get vaccines for the government, or just out to make money at patients' expense. Ideally insurance companies would be non-profit and not publicly traded, perhaps only state-based as well so there is more efficient oversight; eliminate profit for shareholders from the equation and patients' interests would probably become a greater factor in the decision making process. Just my theory though; I'm an engineer, not a business major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay