Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 06:31 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,689,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Come on over to our house and get to know us. Then you will know people who love it.
I love it here too. After spending most of my life in Ohio, this area seems like paradise to me. I love waking up to sunshine, warmth, and blue skies. I enjoy being outside every day gardening, walking, playing kickball, pickleball, etc., and this area allows me to do that. I find the natural beauty of Florida awe inspiring and the beaches are incredible. Each day I am just so grateful that I finally get to live in a place that I love.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,929,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I love it here too. After spending most of my life in Ohio, this area seems like paradise to me. I love waking up to sunshine, warmth, and blue skies. I enjoy being outside every day gardening, walking, playing kickball, pickleball, etc., and this area allows me to do that. I find the natural beauty of Florida awe inspiring and the beaches are incredible. Each day I am just so grateful that I finally get to live in a place that I love.
It is paradise for some.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:25 PM

5,029 posts, read 5,702,053 times
I moved here about 6 years ago.

What I'm learning now in my grad classes is about the difference between positivistic (objective) or naturalistic (subjective, people create their own realities). I tend to think that the latter is true.

I was more excited about making the move several years ago when I first did it (not because I hated Cleveland, but because I was excited to try something different.) Then also though, I did take Cleveland and Ohio for granted.

I won't say that I don't enjoy Florida as that wouldn't be true. Contrary to some northern snobs views, there is some culture, history and food here. I've had many wonderful experiences in both Orlando and Tampa, and especially enjoy the winters, the freshwater springs and even occasionally the theme parks. Sorry though, but not a huge beach fan. Only three things to do are surf, lay in sand or float in waves. It doesn't really engage me and I often seemed to get sunburned, seems like it's primarily there just to lay around. I honestly prefer lakes.

I personally would just say that for me, I like what Ohio (and other places) offer more for me. When I do an inventory of what I enjoy doing and my personality and all characteristics for me, I certainly think that, apart from family being a significant factor, I may move back, or at least somewhere else at some point.

But, I can't speak for everyone. Who knows, perhaps I'll try somewhere else and love it, or perhaps I'll realize how much I took Florida for granted.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,398,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post

When i see such positive descriptions of life in Florida i sometimes wonder how many northerners read this type of post and come to a conclusion they are fed up with their northern climates and want some of that paradise Sunny is talking about and down they come by the tens of thousands only to discover many of the local Florida residents dont really appreciate their choice of area to relocate.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,622,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
People love Tampa? Seems to me, as a native, most people dont really "love it" in any city. It's like they do it to be around folks like them (other NY'ers, foreigners, etc) or they are just so tired of the heat they move here. But I dont know too many people that "love" it here in FL, in all honesty.
This is true, and it shows through their behaviors. They don't socialize, they don't even wave "Hi", they rush to see who can close the garage door faster, and they brought nothing from up there with them. If you go around Brooklyn for example, there are like 100 delicious bakeries, but do any of them care to bring them down here? Nope. They act entitled in traffic, an example would be when they see someone turing their signal on to turn in a lane, and after they been coasting nonchalantly for several minutes impeding the traffic behind them, all of the sudden they speed up just to not let the person move in the other lane....constantly cut at the bumper...parents at school act all entitled and don't make eye contact with those already here...and so forth. They don't care for "TAMPA" the city/or surroundings, they couldn't give to $hits about it...they care and are "happy" that they don't have to mow snow, and live in those tiny old places that are falling on them. (Yeah, we've seen some of the homes up north through our travels and its dilapidation central). They crowd the beaches, they bring jet ski's where they shouldn't disturbing everyone else who's there to relax and have a nice calm day, and they continue to smoke and throw cigarette butts all over these beaches they say they love so much!

There is a level of hypocrisy that we can see right through unfortunately. These people don't care for their community, passed paying those HOA fees, none offer to lend a hand to someone when they need help, and they don't care to improve or beautify the city further either! Some who continuously praise it here do it because 1. They need to "justify" their move, and 2. They have a need for approval. If you take a closer look at their behavior they do nothing but isolate themselves in their new bubbles.

Behaviors speak a lot louder than words.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:08 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,918,296 times
Frankly I notice a big difference between St. Pete/Pinellas and Tampa/Hillsborough.

People in St. Pete/Pinellas ARE friendly, especially in the smaller cities like Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Gulfport.

We live in Gulfport and we KNOW our neighbors, everyone hosts one or two parties a year and when we're gone (we are out of town about one week out of six), our neighbors keep an eye on our property and we do the same for them. Most of our neighbors work (we don't) so we bring in their recycling bins after pickup, same for UPS, FedEx (we put on their porches or move to our home) if weather looks iffy. I have offered their kids rides to their homes in rainstorms as they walk home from their bus stops 3 long blocks away. I have hired their teens (with prior parental permission) for some yardwork. It's a REAL neighborhood, almost Leave to Beaver-ish in this day and age.

Even when we were snowbirds renting in Dunedin and Safety Harbor, the neighbors were friendly to us, everyone walks and talks on the streets of Gulfport, too. Sometimes I'll go for a walk that I expect will be 30 minutes and when I get home 90 minutes later, it's because I ran into so many neighbors along the way for chats.

As I've said before, there OUGHT to be two different forums, one for Tampa/Hillsborough and one for St. Pete/Pinellas as I think they are two different animals.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i see such positive descriptions of life in Florida i sometimes wonder how many northerners read this type of post and come to a conclusion they are fed up with their northern climates and want some of that paradise Sunny is talking about and down they come by the tens of thousands only to discover many of the local Florida residents dont really appreciate their choice of area to relocate.
I do not think that we have that much of an effect on that many people, regarding relocating.

We have never had any issues with local Florida residents. They have been quite nice and helpful to us.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
This is true, and it shows through their behaviors. They don't socialize, they don't even wave "Hi", they rush to see who can close the garage door faster, and they brought nothing from up there with them. If you go around Brooklyn for example, there are like 100 delicious bakeries, but do any of them care to bring them down here? Nope. They act entitled in traffic, an example would be when they see someone turing their signal on to turn in a lane, and after they been coasting nonchalantly for several minutes impeding the traffic behind them, all of the sudden they speed up just to not let the person move in the other lane....constantly cut at the bumper...parents at school act all entitled and don't make eye contact with those already here...and so forth. They don't care for "TAMPA" the city/or surroundings, they couldn't give to $hits about it...they care and are "happy" that they don't have to mow snow, and live in those tiny old places that are falling on them. (Yeah, we've seen some of the homes up north through our travels and its dilapidation central). They crowd the beaches, they bring jet ski's where they shouldn't disturbing everyone else who's there to relax and have a nice calm day, and they continue to smoke and throw cigarette butts all over these beaches they say they love so much!

There is a level of hypocrisy that we can see right through unfortunately. These people don't care for their community, passed paying those HOA fees, none offer to lend a hand to someone when they need help, and they don't care to improve or beautify the city further either! Some who continuously praise it here do it because 1. They need to "justify" their move, and 2. They have a need for approval. If you take a closer look at their behavior they do nothing but isolate themselves in their new bubbles.

Behaviors speak a lot louder than words.
^^^^^^^ Prime example of a blanket statement and also dismissing the posts of those who love it here.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,396 posts, read 13,446,867 times
It seems some of the responses here have gone more the way of talking about Florida in general, which is OK, but I think people can be happy in different areas of the state. Someone can hate living in Tampa even though they love Florida, but be completely happy in another big city in the state.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:02 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,951,201 times
FL is a love/hate state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay