Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected. 5% was the firmer STATE income tax.

Joliet has no income tax only a sales tax that can very by zip code. So you are wrong on that fact.[/quote]

Old 09-03-2015, 07:55 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,250,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
two gone......

now if we can convince another couple of million northern transplants to return whence they came......
Some people really don't need a whole lot of convincing.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Joliet has no income tax only a sales tax that can very by zip code. So you are wrong on that fact.
[/quote]

The state tax use to be 5% now it's 3.75% recheck your facts again.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 AM

The state tax use to be 5% now it's 3.75% recheck your facts again.[/quote]

re-read my pos. I said 5 was the previous rate.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Some people really don't need a whole lot of convincing.
yeah but the linger for years beforee doiiiing anything about it if ever at all.

I didnt need any convincing when I left the NE.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:57 AM

473 posts, read 544,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Not sure why transplants always do this. We keep losing quality residents and for good reasons. Stick your head in the sand all you want but without great paying jobs, infrastructure, development that makes sense we will just turn into another Tri-state minus the millionaires.
Maybe you are actually gaining quality residents? There are good paying jobs for hard working educated people. My wife took a 30% pay increase to move to Tampa for a job.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:02 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,019,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrudy View Post
There are good paying jobs for hard working educated people. My wife took a 30% pay increase to move to Tampa for a job.
Lets see the numbers! One example doesn't prove that there are high paying jobs.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:14 AM

422 posts, read 412,998 times
Quote:

Joliet has no income tax only a sales tax that can very by zip code. So you are wrong on that fact.
Doesnt even make up for the increase in auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and sales tax. Also factor in the lower average wages here and the quality of schools and public transportation (non-existent) and state tax is not as bad as you make it out to be.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseo1 View Post
Doesnt even make up for the increase in auto insurance, homeowners insurance, and sales tax. Also factor in the lower average wages here and the quality of schools and public transportation (non-existent) and state tax is not as bad as you make it out to be.
I dont know why everybody complains about car ins. I pay just under $90 a month for 2 cars. Friends here pay about the same, more if they carry comp & coll but not much. My HOI is <$1100 a year. Sales tax here 7.0. IL, for instance 8.75. Public transportation certainly does exisit. HART in Hillsborough, The Bus in Hernando, LYNX in Orlando, Pasco has a system too. Nothing wrong with the schools, sans some of them that are loaded with kids whoi cant spell their lat name. Read this and bring yourself up to date - http://www.tampabay.com/news/educati...ing-of/2212959

Ive never had a problem earning a decent wage here., Neither has any of my neighbors, friends around the state and locally. If you flip burgers here for $8 an hour you will get $8 an hour flipping them in most states. If you know nothing you get paid peanuts. If you have skills, knowledge and experience you get paid well.

You beat the same old horse like all the other malcontents with their outdated, incorrect and very misleading information. How many screen names have you used because I can go back in the threads and find many posts from people who stopped posting and they are virtually verbatim. Its always a new member also.

Do you live in FL?? If so WHY?

Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,014,844 times
Quote:
I dont know why everybody complains about car ins. I pay just under $90 a month for 2 cars. Friends here pay about the same, more if they carry comp & coll but not much. My HOI is <$1100 a year. Sales tax here 7.0. IL, for instance 8.75. Public transportation certainly does exisit. HART in Hillsborough, The Bus in Hernando, LYNX in Orlando, Pasco has a system too. Nothing wrong with the schools, sans some of them that are loaded with kids whoi cant spell their lat name. Read this and bring yourself up to date - Florida drops to No. 28 in national ranking of public school systems | Tampa Bay Times

Ive never had a problem earning a decent wage here., Neither has any of my neighbors, friends around the state and locally. If you flip burgers here for $8 an hour you will get $8 an hour flipping them in most states. If you know nothing you get paid peanuts. If you have skills, knowledge and experience you get paid well.

You beat the same old horse like all the other malcontents with their outdated, incorrect and very misleading information. How many screen names have you used because I can go back in the threads and find many posts from people who stopped posting and they are virtually verbatim. Its always a new member also.

Do you live in FL?? If so WHY?
You live in a rural area. I dont know how many commute from SH to Tampa, all that I know that is really far and that insurance rates are set by zip code. I came from Northern NJ which historically has some of the highest Real Estate taxes and insurance rates, I pay more in Tampa on car/house insurance to be fair in NJ USAA covered my house and car plus an umbrella insurance here i had to break it up so maybe there were some cost savings lost in the bundle.
I do agree that if you are well prepared and in demand you will be ok, but that's true for every city in the nation. Perhaps this has to do with you being retired or out of the workforce for a while, but the way people advance and make more money in the 21st century is by hopping employers its really hard to do here of course I can only speak of the industries I am familiar with but in NYC I had dozens of companies that I could move to so if a position opened up in my next level I could jump there, in Tampa I have to wait for people to retire or create new positions so its a drag. I will say this when I talk to my NYC contemporaries they work a lot more than me, I am well compensated even on a national scale I am able to flex my schedule, go to school functions, coach my kids teams things that were impossible to do in NYC unless i took days off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay