Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 06:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
"chute", you, and now student66, don't seem to understand traffic flow - cars per hour. If we maximize the safe cars per hour, our overused florida roads will back up less. Q = K x V. If you don't know what that means, read:

http://www.ohio.edu/people/hermanl/c...Parameters.pdf

In simple terms, get out of the way of drivers that want to go faster than you. You aren't a LEO. If you want to read how LEOs react to people that >>SAFELY<< speed, read: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskLEO/comm...iting_speeding

Come on, give traffic flow a chance!

Somehow I don't think you (or people like you) will stay out of the left lane. Unless you are different from the people that hate driving behind a truck in the middle lane, so go left, but are too terrified to pass that truck. Or the people that think they are "passing", driving a few MPH over the speed limit and don't look out of their rearview mirror to see the jam they've created. I hope you aren't like my "favorites", the ones that get distracted in the left lane, slow down, but speed up when they see someone (like me) passing them in the middle lane (which is legal on a three lane HWY).

Yes, I drive 11 MPH over the HWY limit in safe conditions (calibrated by mile markers). If someone wants to get by, I get the heck out of their way. If traffic is light enough for me to stay out of the left lane (rare these days), I'm in the middle on I75. If the "heavy speeders" are driving recklessly, I move way over to the right until I think I'm far away from any damage they can cause.

Why am I making a big deal out of this? Because I drive from Tampa to Sarasota once a week. I time the to and from to daytimes to (try and) avoid traffic. But more and more the self righteous types are clogging up traffic, or some road rager has tried to circumvent and caused an accident (that can no longer clear do to volume).

Sadly, even if everyone understood "cars per hour", I-75 will congest during construction due to the University Mall boondoggle:

UTC Mall's regional impact after one-year

But everyone doing their best to help traffic flow will minimize the impact.
In CA we had a great law. If 5 cars were behind you pull over or get ticketed.

Old 02-21-2016, 06:18 PM

809 posts, read 748,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In CA we had a great law. If 5 cars were behind you pull over or get ticketed.
It's not about law, it's about sharing the road. To all the 'merican's that think it's their god given right to drive the speed limit in the left lane and create a traffic jam, I'd ask WWJD (heck, even the new Pope would probably tell them to move over).

Old 02-22-2016, 12:28 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,915,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
It's not about law, it's about sharing the road. To all the 'merican's that think it's their god given right to drive the speed limit in the left lane and create a traffic jam, I'd ask WWJD (heck, even the new Pope would probably tell them to move over).
I don't get it. If they are doing the speed limit, then what is the problem? The speed limit is the maximum speed allowed.

I used to be a middle lane driver, when I drove. I liked that lane better, in case I needed to shift a lane for some issue. I liked having two ways to go.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I don't get it. If they are doing the speed limit, then what is the problem? The speed limit is the maximum speed allowed.
Your logic is obviously flawless NPG but doesnt reflect reality.
For those thinking every one should dutifully drive to the exact speed limit they either dont drive much or they are very naive,Add 20mph to the posted speed limit and you have the real speed limit out on an interstate.And because there can be up to a 20-30mph hour speed difference in general traffic flow obviously some drivers are going faster than others, having a dedicated lane for those faster drivers to use as a passing lane is logical, every one knows that left hand lane is that dedicated passing lane, for those to cruise in that lane and hold up traffic piously proclaiming they are doing the speed limit speaks to a rather controlling attitude.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:57 AM

698 posts, read 960,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'll believe it when I see it (tickets). So many other infractions that are already ignored.
I agree and you have to be going 10 mph BELOW the posted speed limit. Many times these folks are going the speed limit or faster so maybe it'll have the reverse effect and the speeders will start getting tickets

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 AM

698 posts, read 960,885 times
Quote:

I used to be a middle lane driver, when I drove. I liked that lane better, in case I needed to shift a lane for some issue. I liked having two ways to go.
I understand your logic here, to a point.

With folks hanging out in the middle lane going the speed limit while the rest of the traffic is passing on both sides is impeding the flow of traffic. Put a slow person in the left and middle lane at the same time
and that's really an issue for the flow of traffic.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:46 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,685 times
Quote:

There is a speed limit law but also a slower traffic keep left law (aka keep right), so you are simply choosing which law you want to obey and as already pointed out, selfishly imposing your beliefs on random strangers on the highway.

Call the State Troopers if you think someone is speeding or driving dangerously.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Your logic is obviously flawless NPG but doesn't reflect reality.
For those thinking every one should dutifully drive to the exact speed limit they either dont drive much or they are very naive,Add 20mph to the posted speed limit and you have the real speed limit out on an interstate..........
I guess all the bolded above would actually apply to me on this topic....LOL!

That said, is it really 20 mph over? Holy crap!

Old 02-22-2016, 07:19 AM

809 posts, read 748,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Add 20mph to the posted speed limit and you have the real speed limit out on an interstate.
I wouldn't do 90 on I-75 and I'd think you'd risk a ticket for that. But I'd sure get out of your way. Then again, if you get pulled over, that's going to impact traffic flow.

Everything I've read indicates that you are at risk at a true 12 mph over the limit.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
There is a speed limit law but also a slower traffic keep left law (aka keep right), so you are simply choosing which law you want to obey and as already pointed out, selfishly imposing your beliefs on random strangers on the highway.

Call the State Troopers if you think someone is speeding or driving dangerously.
But going the speed limit is not going slow. I guess that is what I do not understand on this topic.

Plus, driving in the right lane seems to mess up traffic flow and appears risky. Cars are trying to merge on, cars are trying to take right turns and sometimes the right lanes become right turns only.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 02-22-2016 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay