Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:40 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,798,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
And fast lane means fast lame.

And slower traffic keep to the right means slower traffic keep to the right.

Duh.

Show me the sign that designates any "fast lane" which has a different speed limit from the other lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Which lane are you supposed to use to pass people who are going slower than the traffic?

They aren't going slower than the traffic, because they are the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I usually hang out in the righthand lane, but find the merging traffic coming onto the freeway couldn't care less that I have the right away. I find that when I'm dealing with a lot of on-ramps it's best to hangout in the middle lane and dodge the speeding-weavers instead.

That's the best compromise, when there are enough lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
In Florida, no such lane exists. We have a fast lane. This simply means that you can ride in the left lane as long as you like.

Yes, and unless you are driving at least 10 mph slower than the posted limit, it's legal to hog that left lane.

It's legal to drive up to 9 mph below the speed limit in the left lane no matter what kind of tantrum the rager throws.....but it's rude and dangerous, so I don't do it.

No ticket for hogging the left lane until you get clocked at 10 mph or more below the posted speed limit.

Under no circumstances are you legally required to yield to someone illegally speeding or illegally tailgating.

Quote:
Under the new law, any driver in the 'fast lane' driving 10 miles per hour or more slower than the posted speed limit could face a $60 ticket if pulled over by law enforcement.
"It's always been a road rule that slower drivers stay to the right," said Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Deborah Busbee. Safety, Busbee says, is always the priority.
"That's our goal. It's not necessarily to harass just speeders or impaired drivers," she said. "We're out here trying to make sure everybody gets home safely every day."
The measure was signed into law by Governor Rick Scott this week and will go into effect on July 1.(2013)
New Florida law could prove costly to slow drivers who don't move over

Old 02-10-2016, 01:58 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Beyond me why any one would choose to travel in the passing lane at 9mph below the posted speed limit or why it would be considered legal...
With all the cars out there using the left lane as a passing lane is logical lessens the chaos and makes a lot of sense just like having every one drive on the right side of the road.
Seems pretty simple,travel in the right lane,if you need to pass some one use the passing lane,once past move back to the travel lane.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:10 PM

182 posts, read 171,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
LOL, No, you misunderstood, MY post (which lane is the passing lane) was being sarcastic, not yours!

I'm well aware of which lane is for passing. When I was 18yo as a relatively new driver I was in the left lane on the New Jersey Turnpike by Newark Airport at night. A car drove up behind me and tailgated me and after a 1000 ft or so started flashing his high beams. I didn't pull over right away, and the next thing I know I see flashing red lights in my rear view mirror. It was a State Trooper; he pulled me over and gave me a ticket for failure to keep right; Except to pass.

There are signs all over NY/NJ with the slogan; "Keep Right Except to pass" and it is heavily enforced by the troopers.

I learned my lifelong lesson very well indeed.

I just wish it would apply to Florida / Tampa drivers!!!
Right, because in most metropolitan areas, traffic flow is at least a PRIORITY. Here, it is not. But it should be.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:24 PM

27,218 posts, read 46,799,974 times
It seems that often the issue is that exit lanes are on the left and right like it is on State Road 54. Some drivers are not familiar and drive for miles in the left lane waiting for their exit and holding up traffic. The same counts for the right lane and the cars in the middle lane often drive even slower and often for a long distance 3 cars keep driving along sides so holding up everyone behind them.

It wouldn't be so bad if they all would drive at speed limit but often. It is 5 to 10 miles below the speed limit and annoying the heck out of many and causing some drivers to make dangerous moves to get in front of the three some.

Again today we saw multiple car crashes and often caused by cars driving to close to each other and one cutting someone off and ending up short and tipping a bumper to cause more cars to crash.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 PM

5,865 posts, read 3,306,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It seems that often the issue is that exit lanes are on the left and right like it is on State Road 54. Some drivers are not familiar and drive for miles in the left lane waiting for their exit and holding up traffic. The same counts for the right lane and the cars in the middle lane often drive even slower and often for a long distance 3 cars keep driving along sides so holding up everyone behind them.

It wouldn't be so bad if they all would drive at speed limit but often. It is 5 to 10 miles below the speed limit and annoying the heck out of many and causing some drivers to make dangerous moves to get in front of the three some.

Again today we saw multiple car crashes and often caused by cars driving to close to each other and one cutting someone off and ending up short and tipping a bumper to cause more cars to crash.
54 is a mess with the accidents. I always see the aftermath.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Beyond me why any one would choose to travel in the passing lane at 9mph below the posted speed limit or why it would be considered legal...

It would be considered legal because it is specifically legal; we have numbers written into our laws and upon our signs, and those numbers have specific meanings to those who can read.

Remember these simple facts, whether you like them or not:
It is legal for me to drive in the left lane at 9 mph below the posted speed limit.
It is illegal for you to drive in the left lane at 1 mph above the posted speed limit.
And it's always illegal for you to follow too close, no matter how emotional you feel.

But I'll stay out of the left lane unless passing, because that's how I roll.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It is 5 to 10 miles below the speed limit and annoying the heck out of many and causing some drivers to make dangerous moves to get in front of the three some.

The slowpoke didn't cause other drivers to make dangerous moves to get to the front.

Those other drivers decided how to react to the situation.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,498,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
It would be considered legal because it is specifically legal; we have numbers written into our laws and upon our signs, and those numbers have specific meanings to those who can read.

Remember these simple facts, whether you like them or not:
It is legal for me to drive in the left lane at 9 mph below the posted speed limit.
It is illegal for you to drive in the left lane at 1 mph above the posted speed limit.
And it's always illegal for you to follow too close, no matter how emotional you feel.

But I'll stay out of the left lane unless passing, because that's how I roll.
I think you're wrong on a few of your statement regarding driving below the posted speed limit and impeding the flow of traffic.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I think you're wrong on a few of your statement regarding driving below the posted speed limit and impeding the flow of traffic.

Cite the statutes.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:13 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,369,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
To get a hands on experience of why "keep right except to pass" signs are so prevalent the
next time you are out on a busy interstate why dont you try going 9mph below the speed limit in the passing lane for a few miles, get back to us with the experience.
You might need this site if the cops give you a ticket.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...hapter7-6.html

Last edited by jambo101; 02-11-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay