Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Wow - what's that based on?
Hurricane Katrina.

https://www.thebalance.com/hurricane...ffects-3306023
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM

461 posts, read 554,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampaite View Post
It's not about hurricane - it's about jobs and amenities.

If a hurricane would hit Tampa, it would take 10-15 years to rebuild plus you are more likely to be laid off from your job or let go with businesses suffering losses so definitely something to consider for future.

Right its about how easy or hard is it going to be to secure a job, even a decent lower paying one with more hours, the ability to make friendships. This sort of thing factors in even more I think. Come to think of it though, FL is in the right spot to fail and St Pete where I am sure seems like the perfect city to be cursed and go through a boom cycle only to have the balloon burst again at some point. This city will see an exodus. Tampa isn't that great either but I'd say it does better out of the 2.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 PM

286 posts, read 165,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSota14 View Post
Right its about how easy or hard is it going to be to secure a job, even a decent lower paying one with more hours, the ability to make friendships. This sort of thing factors in even more I think. Come to think of it though, FL is in the right spot to fail and St Pete where I am sure seems like the perfect city to be cursed and go through a boom cycle only to have the balloon burst again at some point. This city will see an exodus. Tampa isn't that great either but I'd say it does better out of the 2.

Exodus? Maybe that would help the crowding. Remember: Happiness is a northerner going home. Total joy is when he takes 2 more with him.

Florida was a much better place before all the drifters and dreamers started to come for their shot at it, realized that the weather was intolerable for them and there are limited opportunities for their "skills". They dreamed, they came, they couldn't hack it and moved on. It would be nice if the wannabe transplants did their homework before making their move we would have a better overall situation in Florida instead of having to sweep up after the carpetbaggers move on.

Thanks for playing!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:20 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny the Mutt View Post
Exodus? Maybe that would help the crowding. Remember: Happiness is a northerner going home. Total joy is when he takes 2 more with him.

Florida was a much better place before all the drifters and dreamers started to come for their shot at it, realized that the weather was intolerable for them and there are limited opportunities for their "skills". They dreamed, they came, they couldn't hack it and moved on. It would be nice if the wannabe transplants did their homework before making their move we would have a better overall situation in Florida instead of having to sweep up after the carpetbaggers move on.

Thanks for playing!
Best post of the day! THANK YOU !

It would be nice if the folks that left the State for Irma would've stayed out. They weren't Floridian's anyways.
j/k (sorta kinda)

Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 PM

286 posts, read 165,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Best post of the day! THANK YOU !

It would be nice if the folks that left the State for Irma would've stayed out. They weren't Floridian's anyways.
j/k (sorta kinda)
Thank you. I tried to rate you but I guess I have to rate others before I am allowed to rate you again. If I lived in a mobile or a crummy house I would go to a local shelter. Sitting in that traffic for hours is insane.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
Quote:
Thank you. I tried to rate you but I guess I have to rate others before I am allowed to rate you again. If I lived in a mobile or a crummy house I would go to a local shelter. Sitting in that traffic for hours is insane.
Almost as insane as waiting HOURS in line for a 10 bag limit of sand. This is FL., you can get as much sand as you care to bag rite in your own neighborhood, side of the road, or job-site.
Or people that live off drinking just about a couple soda's a day but now they need 10 cases of water all of a sudden, no way can they bottle there own water at home?
The news/media has some of these people loosing there minds, no common sense.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:14 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:

Thanks for playing!
Your post is a bit like a half-naked Amazonian tribe being discovered for the first time and waving their bows and arrows at the helicopter.
Florida was built by transplants from other parts of the US and the rest of the world and much of today's population could probably trace their lineage back to them.
Those so-called Northerners and many other people who move to the state also bring with them skills,investment and dollars to spend.
And those old times when Florida was a better place before all the drifters and dreamers started moving here ? It was a swamp.
The day people stop moving to Florida is the day Florida should start getting worried.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:45 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Almost as insane as waiting HOURS in line for a 10 bag limit of sand. This is FL., you can get as much sand as you care to bag rite in your own neighborhood, side of the road, or job-site.
Or people that live off drinking just about a couple soda's a day but now they need 10 cases of water all of a sudden, no way can they bottle there own water at home?
The news/media has some of these people loosing there minds, no common sense.
I know, right? I kept thinking - what is WRONG with these people? It is simple enough to fill containers from your faucet ahead of time, why does anyone need cases and cases of water.... and yes, the sand, same deal. The media definitely brainwashes a lot of people.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks for playing!
I don't like your smart a55 answer to me for starters. I did not come here to be a "carpetbagger". I may have been somewhat a drifter but I try my best to be a good living person. I ran into other scumbags though and its just not worth living here anymore for me. I was one of the good ones and after I go guess what, you're going to still have much worse problem people than I ever could be. But no, I am not no carpetbagger, I am not a scammer or someone who thought FL would solve all my problems. I moved here a bit more easy because my stepdad was here at the time. I moved all around TB including South Sarasota being the furthest I went. Theres crap jobs in this state period or theres no jobs. Its ridiculous really how people literally try and make this a long term living place, even you rather than make it strictly a vacation place. NEVER AGAIN. When I leave I plan never to return. I'll find some other "retirement" locale like Rocky Point or something WHEN IM 64. I'm going back to MA and staying this time.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Your post is a bit like a half-naked Amazonian tribe being discovered for the first time and waving their bows and arrows at the helicopter.
Florida was built by transplants from other parts of the US and the rest of the world and much of today's population could probably trace their lineage back to them.
Those so-called Northerners and many other people who move to the state also bring with them skills,investment and dollars to spend.
And those old times when Florida was a better place before all the drifters and dreamers started moving here ? It was a swamp.
The day people stop moving to Florida is the day Florida should start getting worried.
I hope it happens believe me. I want FL to have an exodus. I am going, I am sick of it, the people and everything. More should follow if they have a brain in their head and if they HAVE to come back, they should save up where they move to full time and VISIT for a few weeks. FL was never designed for full time living but people kept trying to force an unnatural fit. Only the FL cracker types and the Indians really can live here full time in my eyes. Every Midwest dreamer should go home at the very least. I truly 100% believe I was or my type of transplant was one of the best you had on a character level even if I didn't make the money. I still brought enough to survive or not get totally in debt but I had enough of it now. I am burnt out. I plan to go back to MA before winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay