Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 08:02 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving from Utah to Florida and looking at any city around the Tampa Bay area but have been focusing on New Port Richey, Palm Harbor or Dunedin. We will be buying a home, but don't want to go over 360,000. We are retired so not worried about employment. Anyone who lives in those areas and could give us some insight about these things:

Crime Rate
Beaches close by
Cost of living
Things to do

I know i can google it and i have but sometimes helps to hear from those who actually live there. I have a friend that lives in Pinellas park and even though it says the crime rate is high, she has never herself had a problem in 8 years...so far.

thankyou!

When in doubt read the TOS.

Last edited by Chickrae; 10-23-2021 at 08:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 08:19 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
You’re going to want to be in Dunedin or Palm Harbor. NPR has a lot of crime, not a lot to do, and no real beaches. It’s not all bad, but a lot of it is and western Pasco in general is pretty bad. I don’t like pointing out the negative things in places so I advise just ruling it out.

Dunedin is relatively expensive so I think Palm Harbor is probably going to be your best option. Tarpon Springs really isn’t bad either so you might consider it too.

Crime Rate: 1. Dunedin, Palm Harbor (tie) 2. Tarpon … 10. NPR
Beaches close by: 1. Dunedin 2. Palm Harbor 3. Tarpon 4. NPR
Cost of living: 1. NPR 2. Tarpon 3. Palm Harbor 4. Dunedin
Things to do: 1. Dunedin 2. Tarpon 3. Palm Harbor 4. NPR

This is all the same general area so I don’t think it matter that much which you choose between Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and Tarpon. I like the Crystal Beach area a lot personally so you might look into that part of Palm Harbor.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:08 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I agree with the above. I’d rule out NPR as a whole, and focus on Tarpon, Palm Harbor and Dunedin. As said, the three are pretty much the same area.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:11 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Homes are 3 time cheaper for a reason in west Pasco.

Old 10-24-2021, 06:56 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Rule out New Port Richey and focus on the others. Also, you should know that "Palm Harbor" will include neighborhoods east of Lake Tarpon whereas the others won't. There's nothing wrong with that area -- called East Lake. In fact, some prefer it since the neighborhoods are newer. But they are a little further from the beach (which you listed as one of your criteria). So you may see something listed in Palm Harbor, but it is still almost 30 minutes from the beach.

Old 10-24-2021, 03:52 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,387,704 times
There are some nice looking places in the Countryside area of Clearwater. I have no knowledge of prices, I live in a seniors condo.

I too would advise avoiding NPR. Dunedin and Palm Harbor are both nice. Safety Harbor is a bit different, but give it a look online.

You can learn a lot looking at realtor.com or Zillow.

Old 10-24-2021, 04:42 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Rule out New Port Richey and focus on the others. Also, you should know that "Palm Harbor" will include neighborhoods east of Lake Tarpon whereas the others won't. There's nothing wrong with that area -- called East Lake. In fact, some prefer it since the neighborhoods are newer. But they are a little further from the beach (which you listed as one of your criteria). So you may see something listed in Palm Harbor, but it is still almost 30 minutes from the beach.
East Lake could be worth looking at too. Definitely a good area, just further from the beach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
There are some nice looking places in the Countryside area of Clearwater. I have no knowledge of prices, I live in a seniors condo.

I too would advise avoiding NPR. Dunedin and Palm Harbor are both nice. Safety Harbor is a bit different, but give it a look online.

You can learn a lot looking at realtor.com or Zillow.
Countryside is pretty good, it’s basically the same as Palm Harbor. Safety Harbor is good too and has a nice waterfront, but it’s getting further from the gulf beaches.

East Lake and Safety Harbor are further from the beach so I didn’t suggest them earlier, but they’re good areas. Being further east isn’t necessarily bad either because it puts you closer to Tampa and the Westshore district in particular. I still like Crystal Beach the most, but honestly most places in NW Hillsborough and N Pinellas are pretty good provided you’re west of Sheldon.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:42 AM

101 posts, read 171,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
We are thinking of moving from Utah to Florida and looking at any city around the Tampa Bay area but have been focusing on New Port Richey, Palm Harbor or Dunedin. We will be buying a home, but don't want to go over 360,000. We are retired so not worried about employment. Anyone who lives in those areas and could give us some insight about these things:

Crime Rate
Beaches close by
Cost of living
Things to do

I know i can google it and i have but sometimes helps to hear from those who actually live there. I have a friend that lives in Pinellas park and even though it says the crime rate is high, she has never herself had a problem in 8 years...so far.

thankyou!
OK- Personally, I would probably avoid the NPR area as Palm Harbor and Dunedin are nicer and safer, plus are closer to the beaches. However, There are areas in NPR that are totally fine and I might consider them- a good realtor should be able to help with those pockets.

In the vein of others though, I think that East Lake/ Trinity is a good place to consider as there are lots of amenities and fine neighborhoods and they are still relatively close to the beaches. You'll find that most locals don't really go to Clearwater Beach but choose the others like Fred Howard Park and Sunset Beach, both of which are in Tarpon Springs, which is a favorite of mine too and I would really look into that town.

Safety harbor is a great little town too, right in the area you're looking in. That would be a spot I would consider too.

Your budget is aggressive, but not for a smaller home with not much of a yard- which if you are retired may be appealing anyways.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:54 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
You'll find that most locals don't really go to Clearwater Beach but choose the others like Fred Howard Park and Sunset Beach.
True. Altho ... Fred Howard is a great beach but not such a great place for swimming due to the weeds. Honeymoon Island is another local favorite, despite the $8/car admission. But the best beaches are the ones you can only reach by boat: Caladesi Island (especially the northern end) and Three Rooker.

Old 10-25-2021, 06:58 AM

101 posts, read 171,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
True. Altho ... Fred Howard is a great beach but not such a great place for swimming due to the weeds. Honeymoon Island is another local favorite, despite the $8/car admission. But the best beaches are the ones you can only reach by boat: Caladesi Island (especially the northern end) and Three Rooker.
Couldn't be more correct, Bill! Honeymoon & Caladesi are beautiful. The swimming at Fred isn't the best because of the seaweed, as you said- but I'm not much of a "get in the water" guy. I prefer to be on top of it in a boat or on the sand!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay