Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times

Advertisements

Why was it wretched to grow up in Spring Hill?

Is it Spring Hill's fault your grandparents didnt make any friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by do_something81 View Post
As someone who grew up in Spring Hill, I can tell you living in that wretched town is just that, wretched. My grandparents retired there and our family followed. My grandparents did not make any new "connections" or friendships in Spring Hill and eventually when my grandmother passed away, my grandfather moved back to where he felt more of a sense of community and support.

I can only speak vaguely regarding Apollo Beach, as I have never lived there but have acquaintances who have. Apollo would be my choice, our friends never complain about there neighbors or community, and when I have driven through, I notice it seems like a nicer area and is closer to civilization, ie Tampa. I think the extra money is worth it; especially when considering resale to any potential buyer who will need to commute to Tampa.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,947 times
My mum snowbirds in Spring Hill... has had her house, I don't know, 10, 13 years?

She's out and about so much with friends, I can never find her.

Her friends aren't snowbirds.

Friends are where you make them!

Old 02-16-2010, 07:16 AM

Everybody is different. Some people expect too much. Some people just aren't social. Older people don't generally care for complainers and moaners because life is too short. Glad your mom is having a great time down here.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltswinger View Post
My mum snowbirds in Spring Hill... has had her house, I don't know, 10, 13 years?

She's out and about so much with friends, I can never find her.

Her friends aren't snowbirds.

Friends are where you make them!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:43 PM

34 posts, read 80,672 times
Hi I lived in Spring Hill for ayear, we relocated from Long Island.
Well, we left last December to move back to NY, Syracuse area--can I just tell u that I would move back to SH in a minute.

The peopleof Spring Hill were so welcoming, I made so many friends there that I still keep in touch with.

There may not be lower income in Syracuse but the people are so unwelcoming it is not even funny.

I hope that Spring Hill recovers, because I have to tell u the schools in Hernando were excellent, here in Syracuse area the schools are so behind it is not even funny. The teachers are dedicated in Spring Hill, up here my son has a supposed to be reading genius and she says my son is reading fine, meanwhile he struggles and struggles.

I would go back to SH in a minute

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Syracuse. Yikes. I got to ask: How Many Inches of Snow This Season So Far?

Spring Hill will do fine. Lots of growth to keep things busy around here.
Just a lousy national economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
Hi I lived in Spring Hill for ayear, we relocated from Long Island.
Well, we left last December to move back to NY, Syracuse area--can I just tell u that I would move back to SH in a minute.

The peopleof Spring Hill were so welcoming, I made so many friends there that I still keep in touch with.

There may not be lower income in Syracuse but the people are so unwelcoming it is not even funny.

I hope that Spring Hill recovers, because I have to tell u the schools in Hernando were excellent, here in Syracuse area the schools are so behind it is not even funny. The teachers are dedicated in Spring Hill, up here my son has a supposed to be reading genius and she says my son is reading fine, meanwhile he struggles and struggles.

I would go back to SH in a minute

Old 02-21-2010, 10:46 PM

34 posts, read 80,672 times
Hi actually we missed a lot of the snow thank God.

It is not even the snow really, its the people of Syracuse, not all but for the most part they do not welcome you much.

My son plays lacrosse, he played in Hernando WONDERFUL coach! county run well done.

We move up here and he joins lacrosse, the first thing the coach says to me is Oh, we don't like floridians or Long Islanders. They never passed the ball to my son once, they did not even talk to him.

People talkabout florida being the worst for education--Hernando was better than the school I was in on LI and by far superior to Syracuse schools.

The kids are a bunch of troublemakers, and down right mean to my children, Hernando they fit right in.

We moved for a pay increase, but now realize all we gaveup also

I know Spring hill will be okay it has a lot to offer, there are foreclosures and short sales all over, people just do not want to admit it is going on in their backyard

Another plus for Florida, people were more down to earth.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Very few people actually come here and dislike it. The dislike usually comes after 20 years or so. Then people want a change. They should go for it. However, once they realize the error, they should come back and apologize for all the nasty remarks before they left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
Hi actually we missed a lot of the snow thank God.

It is not even the snow really, its the people of Syracuse, not all but for the most part they do not welcome you much.

My son plays lacrosse, he played in Hernando WONDERFUL coach! county run well done.

We move up here and he joins lacrosse, the first thing the coach says to me is Oh, we don't like floridians or Long Islanders. They never passed the ball to my son once, they did not even talk to him.

People talkabout florida being the worst for education--Hernando was better than the school I was in on LI and by far superior to Syracuse schools.

The kids are a bunch of troublemakers, and down right mean to my children, Hernando they fit right in.

We moved for a pay increase, but now realize all we gaveup also

I know Spring hill will be okay it has a lot to offer, there are foreclosures and short sales all over, people just do not want to admit it is going on in their backyard

Another plus for Florida, people were more down to earth.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 68,024 times
Bad schools on Long Island? What part? I am originally from Brooklyn and my wife is from North Babylon. I know the feeling of moving to an area from out of town, as our first year in PA was meet with much ridicule from the mountain folk. But like anywhere you win friends by being friendly.
Is the sinkhole problem real or overblown?
When I peruse the MLS I am amazed at the bargins out there. Is is worth a gamble to buy in Spring Hill and leave the home empty for three years until retirement?

Old 02-22-2010, 08:38 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,245,583 times
I don't know if their really bargains or really just selling for what their actually worth. Prices got so inflated a while back so a lot of what looks like a great deal today really isn't that great a deal. Dont go by a picture on the internet,everything looks good there. You really should come down and take a look and check out the neighborhood. Some of the nicer neighborhoods in Spring Hill have gone down hill big time. Be careful and do your homework. There are some good deals out there. I wouldn't buy anything and leave it empty for any lenght of time. That could be asking for trouble. Good Luck

Old 02-22-2010, 09:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TI1955 View Post
Bad schools on Long Island? What part? I am originally from Brooklyn and my wife is from North Babylon. I know the feeling of moving to an area from out of town, as our first year in PA was meet with much ridicule from the mountain folk. But like anywhere you win friends by being friendly.
Is the sinkhole problem real or overblown?
When I peruse the MLS I am amazed at the bargins out there. Is is worth a gamble to buy in Spring Hill and leave the home empty for three years until retirement?
Prices should not see any noticeable increases for a while.

Schedule a visit to scope out some areas but you need not be in a big rush to buy. If you came down next year there will still be some good bargains.

Sinkholes are an issue in some areas more than others. Pasco and Hernando have the highest incidence but buy a newer home and make sure you have the correct insurance coverage and you will be alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay