Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:39 AM

428 posts, read 1,243,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
Sorry, I hate to revive this old thread but it creeped me out. So, if I understand this correctly, I probably don't want one of those 'waterfront homes' that have a little man made lake behind it.
Those fake lakes are the most ridiculous things ever. Builders charge gullible buyers extra for a "premium lot", which in reality is a lot that has a big bulldozer-created hole behind it filled with run off water that serves as a breeding ground for mosquitos and a home for gators. These "lakes" are good for nothing that you'd normally do in a lake- no fishing, boating, swimming, etc. HOA's typically have rules stating that you can't totally fence your yard in either if it backs up to a lake.

The only possible selling point would be if you got some sort of a scenic view out of the deal. In reality, you typically get a view of about 50 houses or more from your back yard, because they build houses all the way around these things.

Conservation lots are a much better deal IMHO. I had one of those before and it was great to look out the back and just see woods. It probably increases the chance of having a raccoon or similar wildlife, but I can much more easily co-exist with those guys than I can a gator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mfKqsBaFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
These "lakes" are good for nothing that you'd normally do in a lake- no fishing, boating, swimming, etc.
Retention ponds are just that, they serve to keep water which falls on a property contained within that property.

My nephews used to fish in theirs when they were younger. Never had an alligator issue but now they have a black panther roaming the neighborhood. Must have been someone's pet.

Panthers and alligators and bears, oh my.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Right now it is double jeopardy. It's alligator mating season. If you search google you can probably find the story of a lady having a gator coming through her screen door into her kitchen.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:07 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
I assume the laws with gators are similar to bears up here. You're not allowed to shoot one unless you are in imminent danger (ie; if you don't shoot it you will die).

Old 04-08-2010, 09:17 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,332,923 times
Or if you need a new pair of shoes. Kidding. I like gators and even take walks & bike through the everglades to enjoy them. Though when I'd walk with the dog in gator territory, he was always leashed as to the dog a gator might look like a still life but they can be surprisingly fast.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:43 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,320,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I didn't tell him to take his dog swimmin' with him!
The dogs taken weren't swimming...they were walking near the lakes and ponds...Gators aren't JUST in the water, especially when they are hungry.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
Those fake lakes are the most ridiculous things ever. Builders charge gullible buyers extra for a "premium lot", which in reality is a lot that has a big bulldozer-created hole behind it filled with run off water that serves as a breeding ground for mosquitos and a home for gators. These "lakes" are good for nothing that you'd normally do in a lake- no fishing, boating, swimming, etc. HOA's typically have rules stating that you can't totally fence your yard in either if it backs up to a lake.

The only possible selling point would be if you got some sort of a scenic view out of the deal. In reality, you typically get a view of about 50 houses or more from your back yard, because they build houses all the way around these things.

Conservation lots are a much better deal IMHO. I had one of those before and it was great to look out the back and just see woods. It probably increases the chance of having a raccoon or similar wildlife, but I can much more easily co-exist with those guys than I can a gator.
Well, actually if you were familiar with the building code, you would know that developers are required to provide a means for storm water run-off and that the water must stay within the community. The builders also use that same fill dirt to raise the lot elevation to help homeowners avoid the high cost of flood insurance. This would apply for planned developments. Water levels for canals are going to be regulated by SWFMD through the appropriate watershed.

Sorry HousingCrashSurvivor... I just read your post about manmade ponds. Didn't mean to duplicate.

AlaskaKash, I've lived on conservation for 25 years and never seen a gator. That's not to say they aren't out there. I've seen plenty in neighborhoods along Race Track Road and East Lake Woodlands. I have seen bobcats, turtles, raccoons, rabbits, squirrels and other swamp critters. My husband saw a hawk yesterday circling over our neighbor's yard while her Yorkie was outside.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-10-2010 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Well, actually if you were familiar with the building code, you would know that developers are required to provide a means for storm water run-off and that the water must stay within the community. The builders also use that same fill dirt to raise the lot elevation to help homeowners avoid the high cost of flood insurance. This would apply for planned developments. Water levels for canals are going to be regulated by SWFMD through the appropriate watershed.
However this is UNRELATED TO THE GATORS...
I would agree, but better make sure if your property is in a culdesac that it has a storm drain. Some developers cut costs and make a swail between the houses where the water is SUPPOSE to drain between the homes back to the drainage pond, but when we have those deluge rains or a hurricane, that's not what happens. The street floods and if you have a fence, so does your front yard. Just beware...observe and ask questions if you don't see a storm drain.
Back to gators-As for gators and fences...they don't stop a gator that wants the pet in your yard, or a quiet place to nest inside your yard shrubs. I've witnessed them shove their body under a wooden 6ft fence to escape getting trapped. Not stopping to dig, just literally shoving their way under the fence line to get thru. Digging would be when not under stress, but just thought you should know a fence doesn't keep them out! lol

Old 04-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by housingcrashsurvivor View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8mfKqsBaFs

Retention ponds are just that, they serve to keep water which falls on a property contained within that property.

My nephews used to fish in theirs when they were younger. Never had an alligator issue but now they have a black panther roaming the neighborhood. Must have been someone's pet.

Panthers and alligators and bears, oh my.
Love the Youtube clip...Here Lizard Lizard Lizard! lol

Old 04-10-2010, 07:32 PM

69 posts, read 225,643 times
[SIZE=2]Alligators never scared me.
I hate sharks and snakes.
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay