Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:55 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any opinions for a 30's single female?

First off, let me say I am not coming to Florida (sadly) anytime soon due to the economy. But since I was an early teen I've wanted to live there and no matter the heat, it has never changed my mind (I've visted in both winter and July/August, so I'm well aware). I'm just trying to get idea for when I DO make it there.

I've only ever visited the SE and Orlando areas and love them both. I know SE is expensive though. I've heard Tampa area is more reasonable, and still good for younger people.

Any opinions on this? I will visit at some point, but for now I'm just looking for opinions.

P.S. - I have no intention, whenever I get to FL, of coming without a job, or having money to get me by "just in case" for a while, and I would work whatever job I could find even if just to tide me over and have money coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 08:49 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
First, I'll say that I currently (since Dec. 2009) live in St. Petersburg, FL. My BF and I moved here with substantial savings and NO jobs lined up. We took a month off and when he started looking for work, he landed 5 interviews within 4 weeks and got 2 jobs offers out of it. He works in the IT field. I have not yet looked for work, and may not as I'll be starting at USF in the fall. I'll leave it at that, since I know others will disagree vehemently about the job situation here. I am warning you, however, that it will be difficult to secure a job here without actually being here for interviews, or having a Florida phone number.

Second. Two of our close friends from Indiana followed us down about a month after we came. They, however, live in Fort Lauderdale. We visited them last weekend and I'll have to say, that I definitely prefer St. Petersburg/Clearwater to SE Florida. The gulf beaches are nicer, the water bluer (than the grey Atlantic.) I love the chain of islands that runs down the gulf, there isn't anything like that in Fort Lauderdale/Miami. I HATED the traffic down there as well. It is extremely congested most times of day. The heat doesn't really seem to let up down there either (check out the "compare" temperature averages feature on weather.com) That may or may not make a difference to you. As a whole, I just did not care for the city we visited. St. Petersburg probably does not have anywhere near the amount of nightlife, but the beach bars are busy on the weekend and so is downtown Tampa.

As far as cost goes: We pay $800 per month for a very nice (tile floors, granite countertops, lake view in a bayfront complex with 3 pools, fitness center, yacht club, etc.) 1/1 condo. It is ground level with a 14X26 ft. patio. Our friends in Ft. Lauderdale are paying $1100 a month for a 1/1 in a sketchy catch-all apartment complex that is mediocre at best on the inside. Gas is more expensive (gasbuddy.com check the gas "temperature" map.) Since it is hotter there in the winter months, I would expect to run your AC then as well. I can't comment on the price of food because my friends don't cook, don't ask.

I hope this helps

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
I looked into both areas and well and settled on Tampa for the following reasons. These are just some, not all the reasons.

1. On the Gulf side so less hurricanes.
  2. In the event of a major hurricane you are more north so it will be a faster trip out of Florida.
  3. Cost of living is less in Tampa.
  4. I like the Bucs better then the Dolphins.
  5. More north so temps are a wee bit cooler, although you do not get the breeze from the Atlantic.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Thank you for your input

I plan to visit the Tampa area before making any decisions. I already know how much I love SE and Orlando areas, though the closer to a beach the better.

As much as I wanna get down there NOW, I am trying to be very patient and save more money. I already know I can't get a job til I get there.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:14 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
The Gulf side from New Port Ritchey all the way down to Sarasota is beautiful.......HUGE NO to Orlando......crime, traffic is twice as worst millions of tourists 100% Tampa.....

Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM

I hear such nice things about the Gulf side of Florida. I will be south of Orlando in a couple months, visiting family. It's not an option for me to visit Tampa area though, since they already have plans for what we are going to be doing.

I am just SO ready to be out of CT and have been for a long time. I also just know that jobs are hard to come by and I need to save a lot more money before manking a move. Sadly, living in CT it's VERY hard for me to save.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:00 PM

37 posts, read 86,224 times
Druth... How much is your husband making in the IT field. I have an IT degree wondering how much the starting salary is?

Old 03-27-2010, 10:15 AM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
In the event of a major hurricane you are more north so it will be a faster trip out of Florida.
Too close to storm surge or living in a trailer you will be asked to evacuate if a direct hit is expected. Otherwise, generally, we hunker down. We do not try to outrun hurricanes as it can be much more dangerous to get stuck in your car.

I recall many years ago my parents were off on vacation, trailering the little boat to explore various Florida waterways, when a hurricane started heading our way. They wound up zigzagging around Florida for a while, because the direction kept changing, following them each time.

OP, I've lived in both locations and like both. Lived here in the 70s, lived mostly in south Florida over the last 30 years. Back to Tampa now. I prefer south Florida's warmer winters but I like Tampa's cooler summer nights (ya, I know, they are still hot, but I do notice the difference). The cost of living is about 20% cheaper here and of course I like that. I find traffic about the same, depending on where you are in either location.

I did prefer south Florida in my younger years (20s-40s), however, living in a downtown location. Now in my 50s and headed for my 60s and beyond, I've decided on being within reach of a good downtown but not living in the thick of it as I've found I use it less (the nightlife particularly) but still enjoy it on occasion.

Both places have lots of good points plus things you can complain about but either would be a good decision as they both offer a very nice quality of life.

PS, on the above comment of the Atlantic not being blue. You just hit a bad day. The gulf can get just as sandy when the weather is right. Also the Atlantic coast is generally deeper than nearshore in the Gulf so that also accounts for the darker water. It is still blue and clear and wonderful, just a different shade. What I do prefer about the gulf is that I always see more dolphin here.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM

Thank you HOUSING for your input, and all others too

I realize I won't be coming down for another year, or even two, depending on what the economy does. I'll be planning to visit the Tampa area to see what it's like.

Where is best to look, to live? I assume outside Tampa? I've heard Tampa is unsafe (I know, we can hear that about EVERY location in the world, right???)

If it helps, I'm mid 30's, single, no kids. Bars and clubs are okay, but not a necessity for me. Some nightlife would be nice though.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:29 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,067,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
The Gulf side from New Port Ritchey all the way down to Sarasota is beautiful.......HUGE NO to Orlando......crime, traffic is twice as worst millions of tourists 100% Tampa.....

I drove around in Orlando once. I didnt find traffic to be horrible, but I was out by Bumby Ave too. I thought that area was pretty nice. Orlando relatively seems small, easy to drive around, but really cant live off the bus system totally kinda deal.
I prefer Tampa to Orlando as far as a place to live. They have good bbq there anyhow and possibly better mom and pop restaurants and St Pete for sure does AND Orlandos music scene doesnt seem as good and certainly less blues lol. Orlando is good if you want chain restaurants or so it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay