Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:43 AM

515 posts, read 1,348,101 times

Advertisements

It's a violation of Florida Statutes to modify the exhaust system of any vehicle amplifying the sound greater than factory standard. The violation is a non-moving traffic ticket.

IMO, being a "car enthusiast" isn't an excuse to modify your exhaust and install some fart can that can be heard a mile away. Not only is it annoying, but it serves no real purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 06:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
As a car freak, he is not going to muffle the sound of his car. he probably spent a lot of money to get it to sound that way.
People spend money to make their cars public nuisances and add to noise pollution? Sounds idiotic, to me. Why?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 AM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
People spend money to make their cars public nuisances and add to noise pollution? Sounds idiotic, to me. Why?
Same reason Harley Davidson trademarked the sound of their engines.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,518 times
He was at it from 4 till nearly 6 this morning. You finally think he's done, start dosing off and then vroom! I looked out of my blinds, he starts this thing up right in front of people's condos. That would give them a heart attack I'd think. With that exhaust, every time the engine is started it makes a "burst" of noise. Even the slightest bit of gas makes the noise. Of course his has to be stick shift too. So he's running around for almost 2 hours this morning, I can hear him throughout the whole complex. I can't do much because I'm not supposed to be to begin with (it's 55 and older). But my mom is just going to have to bring it up with condo management.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
SPT should handle the issue buy telling him to use another car or get another job. Because his car is an integral part of his job, SPT should be able to stipulate what is acceptable and unacceptable to be approaching customers homes at 4 in the morning.
Is SPT going to provide the solution to the problem. Seeing as he was probably hired with this car, which they had no problem with, I see a lawsuit when he loses his job when they finally did decide to have a problem with it.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Is SPT going to provide the solution to the problem. Seeing as he was probably hired with this car, which they had no problem with, I see a lawsuit when he loses his job when they finally did decide to have a problem with it.

I would find it very hard to believe that anyone hiring this guy actually witnessed for themselves the sound that the vehicle now makes. Chances are, IF they approved his vehicle when he was hired (and they should have), the modification to his exhaust was made AFTER he was bringing in some money from his newspaper delivery gig. This is all beside the point, he is a nuisance. If he was able to afford the couple hundred dollars it took to make his vehicle a nuisance, then he should be able to afford the 30-50 dollars it would cost to get a silencer put on. The best part is that a lot of these "mufflers" (what an oxymoron that is...) actually come WITH silencers, which means he could very well have made the decision to NOT use it.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
I would find it very hard to believe that anyone hiring this guy actually witnessed for themselves the sound that the vehicle now makes. Chances are, IF they approved his vehicle when he was hired (and they should have), the modification to his exhaust was made AFTER he was bringing in some money from his newspaper delivery gig. This is all beside the point, he is a nuisance. If he was able to afford the couple hundred dollars it took to make his vehicle a nuisance, then he should be able to afford the 30-50 dollars it would cost to get a silencer put on. The best part is that a lot of these "mufflers" (what an oxymoron that is...) actually come WITH silencers, which means he could very well have made the decision to NOT use it.
Can you shed some light on to the part of the contract that states that his car must meet certain standards?

It amazes me how happy everyone gets now when someone might lose their means of income. It's actually sickening.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:01 AM

323 posts, read 684,876 times
[quote=MAniacTHW;12722221]Can you shed some light on to the part of the contract that states that his car must meet certain standards?

It amazes me how happy everyone gets now when someone might lose their means of income. It's actually sickening.[/quote]

How completely irrelevant and untrue. What would make the OP happy is being able to sleep at 4:30 AM, not get someone fired.

OP, there is no reason that a person shouldn't be able to sleep because of a rude and inconsiderate child. You've tolerated enough with reporting it to the paper company. If the apartment management does not correct the problem you really don't have a choice but to call the police since there are noise ordinances in this county. What is really amazing here is that the company this kid works for doesn't care enough about it's own employee to correct the problem, because I guarantee you, if you call the police on this kid, the paper company will probably just up and fire him for the problems he caused. It's too bad really, because of how easily and cheaply the car can be made tolerable. If the employee and employer don't give a damn about his income then it's no one else's responsibility to either.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:05 PM

515 posts, read 1,180,331 times
I doubt he'll get fired if the cops get involved. They will probably just write a citation. It is unlikely the newspaper will even find out he got cited.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
sounds like the barking-dog-next-door problem -but this problem should be much easier to resolve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay