Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 07:44 PM

314 posts, read 554,702 times

Advertisements

I'll be honest. I am getting so spoiled by teaching middle school from home these past couple of weeks, to where sometimes I feel it is going to hard to return to the normal routine, once this is all over. So I am wondering if after this pandemic is over, whether we will see a rise in virtual K-12 schools across the country. While I don't see online learning completely replacing traditional school learning, it would be nice if a permanent position in online instruction became a viable career option. What do you think?

I enjoy teaching, but just the everyday grind of being in the physical classroom drains me.
I've worked online teaching jobs before like VIPKids, but those are all freelance positions from $15 - $25 an hour. But if I could realistically teach online and earn a stable, livable teacher's salary, I would have my dream job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 08:50 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
No way. I don't feel any desire to do online work for good. I teach an elementary grade. If not my best class in 27 years, this class is close to it. They are the sweetest kids. There is not one who is unkind to another. They listen to each other and compare their strategies. They see struggle as constructive. The amount of discourse I see in the classroom is one of the things we are missing the most. The interaction with peers just can't be replicated online.

I miss their smiles. I miss hearing their excitement when the see each other in the morning. I can't see the shine in their eyes when they share about their weekends. There is no impromptu humor. No laughter. I honestly hate not being in the classroom.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Nope. It's far more difficult to prepare and monitor and correct distance learning. I miss watching them work out the math problem and seeing their work, assisting where necessary in the moment. I miss being there when they have the "Ah ha! I GET IT!" revelation. Mostly, I miss that personal connection with students, sharing the jokes, asking how their day is going, the intangible stuff.

I can't wait to be back in the classroom in person with my students in person. Even the chatty ones.

Old 04-07-2020, 09:31 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
I hate it... And I don't think it's as effective.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:35 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
I teach in a therapeutic special education program. My kids need personalized, specialized attention in person to help them succeed. They all receive intensive services from multiple providers every day. That cannot be replicated over a computer screen, and it's showing in behavior and quality of work. Seeing some of my kids who've made such great progress this year regress so quickly has been frustrating beyond belief.

The only upside to this is that it allowed me to get the hell of out NYC as things went downhill there. The joy of teaching has been sucked away, and I hate it.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:56 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
There are now people in my state who've hit upon the way to control education costs;

Their idea is that each subject has only one teacher for the entire state since online is working so well and schools have to follow the same state curriculum.

Everything will be done via internet and every kid will be doing the same lesson at the same time so test scores should skyrocket.

Since many of these people advocating this are high level federal civil servants or highly paid governmental contractors and consultants you may get an inkling why other aspects of US society are the way they are.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:18 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,838 times
NOPE! Don't get me wrong, i don't miss the drive at all. But I do miss some of my interaction with the students and the many adults I conversate with during the week. A little time off is cool but if the "GRIND" of being in the class is too much for you, maybe time for a new profession as that's an essential part of the gig.

And to be honest, to a degree, I think working from home too much lends itself to physical laziness

Last edited by jacktravern; 04-09-2020 at 07:21 PM.. Reason: Missing sentence

Old 04-14-2020, 02:08 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,636,675 times
I am a parent of 2 children in elementary school. I find it easier to follow my children's classwork when everything is posted online. It makes it easier for me to guide them at home.

When they are being taught in the classroom, access to their classwork is much more limited. Basically, you're groping in the dark. The difference is stark.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:03 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
There are now people in my state who've hit upon the way to control education costs;

Their idea is that each subject has only one teacher for the entire state since online is working so well and schools have to follow the same state curriculum.

Everything will be done via internet and every kid will be doing the same lesson at the same time so test scores should skyrocket.

Since many of these people advocating this are high level federal civil servants or highly paid governmental contractors and consultants you may get an inkling why other aspects of US society are the way they are.

Georgia has 786,893 elementary students. What if a teacher asks "any questions?" and 5000 kids raise their hands? (or click 'help' on the screen)

Old 04-19-2020, 07:35 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

While normal interactive social skills will plummet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching