Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,170,477 times

Advertisements

It is definitely a calling, yes. The money isn't bad; I’m currently at 41k per year. I do choose to supplement though with other things I do. I definitely didn't do it for the money, not sure any teacher does lol. Mostly, I love the feeling of accomplishment I have after the end of every day. I love seeing the "omg I get it!" faces on my kids......best feeling in the world to know you're having a positive impact on lives. I could easily go into administration and make twice as much as I'm making now but I really would much rather be on the front lines .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,501,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
It is definitely a calling, yes. The money isn't bad; I’m currently at 41k per year. I do choose to supplement though with other things I do. I definitely didn't do it for the money, not sure any teacher does lol. Mostly, I love the feeling of accomplishment I have after the end of every day. I love seeing the "omg I get it!" faces on my kids......best feeling in the world to know you're having a positive impact on lives. I could easily go into administration and make twice as much as I'm making now but I really would much rather be on the front lines .
Good for you.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endersshadow View Post
You must've been a very deep kid. Most of the kindergarteners I work with barely think past "now".
No, I just had an evil kindergarten teacher, and I thought the rest of school would be more of the same.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:38 PM

4,045 posts, read 1,871,951 times
At seven years old I decided to be a teacher. I've taught in elementary schools for thirty-five years now and still love it. So, yes. I think teaching is a calling.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,068,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
I've worked with nurses who felt it was a calling. Sadly, it was no guarantee of competence. Personally, I'd rather the competence.
Same thing with motherhood.
I'd expect that it extends to teachers, as well.
Same here. We've had some teachers who genuinely felt they were 'called' to teaching and I have to wonder just who was calling....was it just a voice in their own head? That doesn't count!!

Like in any other profession, there are really only a few exceptional teachers, most are just fine and some...well....no further comment needed. Not all of them are called, not all of them are even competent but certainly the good ones have found the right occupation and you are lucky to study under them.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 579 times
Smile I Greatly agree that teaching is a calling, 'a call within a call'. First called to be human and humane as a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I found this article on theage.com about teaching

"TEACHING has never been about the money. Perhaps it's a good thing that students who might have been considering a career in teaching but thought about the money first did not make the mistake of entering the classroom. This year, applications for teaching degrees in Victoria are down by 6.8 per cent. The question is why?"

Anyway, how did you get into the classroom? Did you know it was what you wanted to do before anything or were you pulled into it by other means? I'm honestly interested in what fellow teachers have to say?

Old 10-09-2011, 03:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
The word "vocation" in and of itself is taken from the Latin vocare, which literally means "to call." The original meaning of one's vocation was, then, a calling - be that with religious context or not.

I think most people who work in human services fields, including but not limited to education, consider it to be a calling. Obviously, many workers in many fields indirectly affect the lives of others through the work they do...but there's a certain element of humanity involved in directly helping affect the lives of others that makes it something more than just a clock-in, clock-out job for most. Overall, I feel like those who consider what they do for a living to be a true vocation, or calling (versus something they're detached from and/or don't even really feel a personal connection to, but it pays the bills), are more likely to be the ones who are really, really good at what they do.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:00 PM

146 posts, read 314,125 times
Teachers I know personally, ( and that's about 8 of them ) I believe are in it for the great benefits and pay. One partucular person I know very well, and think of her as a very mean parson, actually is a special ed teacher. I often wondered how effective she was at her job. That said, the K teacher my oldest had, was the best teacher I've met so far, and in her case I believe she was in it because she sincerely loved her job.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,624,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justnice View Post
Teachers I know personally, ( and that's about 8 of them ) I believe are in it for the great benefits and pay. One partucular person I know very well, and think of her as a very mean parson, actually is a special ed teacher. I often wondered how effective she was at her job. That said, the K teacher my oldest had, was the best teacher I've met so far, and in her case I believe she was in it because she sincerely loved her job.
Not sure where you are, but if teaching is at the top of the benefits and pay food chain, there must not be a whole lot else available.

Teaching is one of the better gigs where I grew up, too, but that's only because the majority of other jobs available are changing bedpans in a nursing home, cashiering, and dwindling factory and agricultural work.

Don't get me wrong, I love the job, but if I were after stellar benefits and pay, I'd be doing something else. As it is, I tolerate the compensation, because I like what I do.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM

146 posts, read 314,125 times
Teacher's salaries are public information. The teachers in our district ( and the surrounding districts ) especially high school are extremely well paid. Believe it or not, 65% of the techers in our high school earn over 100K/yr, with about 15 - 20 years of experience. The 8 teachers I mentioned about earn somewhere between 75K - 87K. I don't understand why people believe that teachers don't make enough. Do your research and you're mouth will drop.

Last edited by justnice; 10-09-2011 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching