Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,431,234 times

Advertisements

I do believe that teaching is a calling. Teachers, who feel that they are called to teach in my opinion, tend to be some of the most effective in the classroom because teaching comes to them naturally without them having to be trained to do it. Also, many of these teachers have a very strong faith base, and I am not necessarily saying they are all christian, but many of them that fall into that category believing in some type of higher power to help them make a difference in their students' lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM

706 posts, read 3,765,648 times
I think it's a calling. It also involves wearing so many different hats, fulfilling so many different roles...so much more than the layman's eye can see.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 PM

410 posts, read 1,108,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I do believe that teaching is a calling. Teachers, who feel that they are called to teach in my opinion, tend to be some of the most effective in the classroom because teaching comes to them naturally without them having to be trained to do it. Also, many of these teachers have a very strong faith base, and I am not necessarily saying they are all christian, but many of them that fall into that category believing in some type of higher power to help them make a difference in their students' lives.

I believe it is a calling. I think a lot of people get into it thinking it's going to be a breeze, what with all the time off and the "perks" teachers get such as getting home before rush hour and all that extra family time. So many teachers fail that first year and leave the profession. I've always thought prospective teachers should have to do some sort of immersion similar to student teaching AT THE BEGINNING of their college education. This might deter some of those from going further. Teaching is really much more than a profession--it is more like a lifestyle.

You are certainly right about faith. LOL! Nothing works better than prayer. I've known teachers over the years who had prayer circles every morning before class and I myself have many times went around the room praying for each child at their seats, either before they came to class or quietly behind them. Many teachers do have a faith in God, how else would they manage to pull off all those miracles during the school year?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:06 PM

439 posts, read 1,222,431 times
It can be, but it doesn't have to be. I have friends who ended up as doctors because they wanted to make money, they're not really into patients at all.

I never wanted to be a teacher but I've ended up here. I don't want to be a teacher forever, that's for sure, but there are unquestionably worse jobs I could be doing (in terms of what I like to do - not in terms of what I feel is a "good" job or not). Teaching is versatile and available in every city or town you move to, there are so many different kinds of places to teach in, and you meet different kids every semester....in a way it's pretty diverse.

However, just because I didn't want to be a teacher but now I am one doesn't mean that I don't put my all into teaching. I feel it's my job to give students as much education and guidance as I can. If I don't put my all into a class I feel terrible about it. I even hate canceling class when I'm sick This might not be my "calling" in life, and I don't believe everyone has a calling...but my students still deserve someone hardworking and dedicated to the job, who puts them first and makes sure they get really into learning and really thrive in the classroom.

Last edited by violent cello; 05-01-2009 at 11:27 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,105,934 times
The teachers use their faith and belief in a "higher power" to help them educate our kids? Maybe, that is the problem!

Being get "called" to a variety of professions, teaching is no different. Just because you happen to be drawn to teaching does not mean 1.) You'll be an effective educator, 2.) You have anything interesting in your head to teach in the first place.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:46 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I don't think it's a calling any more than any other profession. What determines whether or not you're good at it isn't whether or not you're called to do it but whether or not you're willing to put in the effort necessary to do it well.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
I believe it is a calling. I think a lot of people get into it thinking it's going to be a breeze, what with all the time off and the "perks" teachers get such as getting home before rush hour and all that extra family time. So many teachers fail that first year and leave the profession. I've always thought prospective teachers should have to do some sort of immersion similar to student teaching AT THE BEGINNING of their college education. This might deter some of those from going further. Teaching is really much more than a profession--it is more like a lifestyle.

You are certainly right about faith. LOL! Nothing works better than prayer. I've known teachers over the years who had prayer circles every morning before class and I myself have many times went around the room praying for each child at their seats, either before they came to class or quietly behind them. Many teachers do have a faith in God, how else would they manage to pull off all those miracles during the school year?
Point well taken. Amen!

Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I don't think it's a calling any more than any other profession. What determines whether or not you're good at it isn't whether or not you're called to do it but whether or not you're willing to put in the effort necessary to do it well.
Nice point, and I agree with it too.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:44 AM

439 posts, read 1,222,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
The teachers use their faith and belief in a "higher power" to help them educate our kids? Maybe, that is the problem!

Being get "called" to a variety of professions, teaching is no different. Just because you happen to be drawn to teaching does not mean 1.) You'll be an effective educator, 2.) You have anything interesting in your head to teach in the first place.
I agree with all of this! Religion should have nothing to do with it.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

Your posts crack me up...thank God you are out of the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching