Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:22 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,441,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
And just what does God expect of you at work?
Why would I share my faith with you, are you a christian? If you were, then you would already know the answer, and I am not talking about preaching to kids and telling them about Jesus either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 06:27 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,135,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
...and I am not talking about preaching to kids and telling them about Jesus either.
So then what are you talking about?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So then what are you talking about?
You would have to be a christian to know what I am talking about, and I leave it at that. It has nothing to do with preaching Jesus Christ, and since you aren't a christian, I rather not discuss it with you, without you disrespecting my beliefs and disregarding my faith as trivial when I tell you.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,618,189 times
Quote:
You would have to be a christian to know what I am talking about, and I leave it at that. It has nothing to do with preaching Jesus Christ, and since you aren't a christian, I rather not discuss it with you, without you disrespecting my beliefs and disregarding my faith as trivial when I tell you.
I love the quote "Preach the gospel daily. Use words when necessary.".

Old 05-02-2009, 06:50 PM

298 posts, read 717,586 times
I think that teaching is a skill that anyone can learn with enough work. However, people who have a personality for teaching and a desire to teach will be more likely to put in enough work to become really skilled. There are both Christians and non-Christians who are very skilled at teaching and who have a love for their students.

In terms of callings, I believe that God calls people who are His to certain positions, and natural skills and interests are indicative of God's calling in people's lives. Even if you have a calling, you still have to put in the effort (usually, all things being normal) to develop your God given skills. So, even if teaching is your calling and you really have a heart for it, if you don't develop that skill then you can still be a bad teacher.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:28 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,135,645 times
Quote:
If you don't want to say, that's fine. But I asked because I really have no idea what you mean, not because I wanted to "disregard your faith".

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,797,064 times
It does seem a little odd to make reference to something and then refuse to answer questions about it. Otherwise why post it publicly? Not that you have any obligation to do so, but given that the question seemed respectful enough it seems like at the very least it would have been nice to provide a respectful answer.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

439 posts, read 1,223,686 times
Quote:
If you don't want to discuss your beliefs, why did you post this thread in a public internet forum and invite others to discuss their ideas? You're conflating teaching being a general calling with teaching being a religious calling, which makes no sense to me.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:11 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,402,194 times
Rather than a calling, I think that the best teachers have been blessed with a special talent and gift to share with their students.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent cello View Post
If you don't want to discuss your beliefs, why did you post this thread in a public internet forum and invite others to discuss their ideas? You're conflating teaching being a general calling with teaching being a religious calling, which makes no sense to me.
It makes no sense to you because thare are many teachers who are people of faith, not necessarily of the Christian faith, but they pretty much take their service of teaching as seriously as they take their service to their God or higher power seriously. Teaching as a calling could be seen with the religious aspect, but I wasn't quite looking at it from the religious aspect, but from the aspect of it being something that comes natural for people who go into the profession, who have this passion, and love of teaching that is incomparable to a person who doesn't. I guess you can say a calling to help your fellow man or in this case children because that is what drives your being to be a person of service, just like a person who wants to help a charity or feed the homeless. All of those things could be looked at by someone as being called to do those things, be it from God, a higher power, or just your inner being wanting to help and serve. I hope that makes sense to you now. I try not to be conflating again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching