Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 12:31 PM

272 posts, read 731,823 times

Advertisements

"Bizarre" in a positive sense is a very good thing.

My principals at my last school would get all upset when I took my biology classes outside to observe Nature, ID plants, etc. Or when I brought non-poisonous snakes that I caught to class for a few days. The teachers who just gave out worksheets (machine grade-able) stayed in good graces.

Yes, we need to revamp the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,078,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
"Bizarre" in a positive sense is a very good thing.

My principals at my last school would get all upset when I took my biology classes outside to observe Nature, ID plants, etc. Or when I brought non-poisonous snakes that I caught to class for a few days. The teachers who just gave out worksheets (machine grade-able) stayed in good graces.

Yes, we need to revamp the whole thing.
That's too bad, I'm sure they are just practicing CYA when it comes to anything like bringing snakes to school or taking kids outside. What if someone skins their knee or gets freaked out by a snake?

Old 02-25-2009, 02:22 PM

901 posts, read 2,992,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebeccaLeigh View Post
ITeachers make good money. I have yet to meet a teacher that makes less than minimum wage
Not everywhere. Even in high cost citites, teachers in private schools can make very little. When I worked in a private school, the head teachers worked 9 hour days and made about $30, 000. This was in one of the most expensive cities in the country. They also paid a lot of money for health insurance, got no retirement benefits, and no dental insurance.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-25-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 02:23 PM

901 posts, read 2,992,499 times
Oops, I messed up the quote.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: I fixed it!

Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,351,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
That's too bad, I'm sure they are just practicing CYA when it comes to anything like bringing snakes to school or taking kids outside. What if someone skins their knee or gets freaked out by a snake?
...or poison ivy, or satellite debris, or mad squirrels. Darn teacher...how dare they think outside the box. I mean, they're not so smart, you know.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-25-2009 at 05:22 PM..

Old 02-25-2009, 02:56 PM

272 posts, read 731,823 times
For a very illustrative example, right in NYC, look up John Taylor Gatto. You'll see just what I mean.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:59 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,078,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
...or poison ivy, or satellite debris, or mad squirrels. Darn teacher...how dare they think outside the box. I mean, they're not so smart, you know.
It's clear that you were unable to discern that I was being facetious with my remark. I was presenting the reason why ADMINS would object to taking kids outside or bringing in snakes, they have to CYA, I don't object at all as long as the teacher has even a bit of common sense about such things.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,351,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's clear that you were unable to discern that I was being facetious with my remark. I was presenting the reason why ADMINS would object to taking kids outside or bringing in snakes, they have to CYA, I don't object at all as long as the teacher has even a bit of common sense about such things.
I don't know if teachers actually do have even 'a bit of common sense'.....I mean, it's not like they're as smart as, oh, I don't know....doctors or lawyers???

Old 02-25-2009, 05:28 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,210,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
If teachers need ego stroking, it's only because we put our heart and soul into what we do and it is therefore personally offensive when our students don't care.
Honey, try working in a neuro intensive care unit sometime. Or with schizophrenics. Or-- heck, be a plumber. I don't see too many of them getting applause, but if they quit, we'd literally be up the proverbial tributary.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,210,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
1)Personal phone calls? Unlike any other professional job, personal phone calls aren't allowed to most teachers during their day.
You need to get out more. I can think of a number of professional jobs-- let's start with OR nurses-- who can't flit off to make phone calls at will.

Last edited by Aconite; 02-25-2009 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching