Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,609,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
Some teachers are respected. Many are not. But, don't you think it has more to do with the reputation the individual teachers establish for themselves? Unfortunately, the bad ones -- 'bad' for whatever reason(s) -- contribute to the overall disrespect for the profession. I don't think we're treated with any more disrespect than, say, poor lawyers.

You make your reputation, and you earn respect. It isn't handed out with a degree in Education.
It is handed out with a degree in engineering. In fact, it was handed out with acceptance to engineering school. Which is really backwards since much of engineering is learned on the job whereas I teach the same things I learned in school so you'd think school accomplishments would count for something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,306,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The assumption should be I am capable of doing my job. The assumption is I'm a slacker and have to prove myself. The degrees and experience show I have enough on the ball to get he degrees and experience and that is something. Just having an engineering degree put me in a position to be respected before I did anything. Great things were EXPECTED of me. It was assumed I'd do my job and do it well. In teaching, I think they assume I'm going to skip class

If degrees and certificates mean nothing then why require them at all? Answer: Because they demonstrate PAST PERFORMANCE. To get this job, I had to pass 80 credits in chemistry, 30 credits in physics and 32 credits in math plus 36 credits in an ed major followed by passing four exams that many don't pass. I'm sorry but that IS something and it's not something to be dissed.
Degrees are prerequisites for the job. They entitle you to nothing except the piece of paper to hang on the wall, and the chance to do what you have trained for. It is what you do with that education that you have been so lucky to be provided with, which determines the respect and compensation you receive. When an attorney passes the bar, no one pays him for his accomplishment, he must then use the knowledge he has obtained to win cases for his clients and in so doing build a reputation. If he is incompetent, he will struggle and fail. If a doctor does not perform well, he is sued for malpractice until he eventually looses his license and his livelihood. It is only government employees with positions protected by tenure or powerful unions that feel the entitlement to a paycheck regardless of performance. That is why our K thru 12 educational system ranks near the bottom in test scores of all the industrial nations. When the system begins towork, and produces results then teachers will be respected. Not until.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching