Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,623,559 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to add that every new teacher has their struggles. As a subject matter expert turned teacher, mine is, undoubtedly, getting down to my student's level, however, once I get there, I have a world to offer them someone who has never been in the field can't. I'm capable of teaching things six different ways because I understand what I teach in ways other teachers do not.

I learned chemistry, physics and math in order to go out and use them to earn a living and did. Yes, I struggle with finding my student's level but every new teacher has their struggles. Why people want to write off people like me because we don't come out of the gate with teaching strategies in place is beyond me. Come see me in three years when I've cut my teeth. Then judge me. More than one district around here likes to hire ex engineers as teachers for a reason.

Some teachers come out of school better at teaching than they are at the material and they teach students wrong because they don't know any better themselves. Other teachers know the material but need to learn how to teach it. Either way, you're looking at a grow in period before the teacher is proficient. Unfortunately, the variety that doesn't understand the material is unlikely to get better at the material as time goes by (you would not believe the amount of incorrect material I find when I do online searches to "borrow" presentation ideas (teachers don't steal, we just borrow, )). The variety that knows the material but needs to learn how to teach it, however, will teach well once they get the hang of it because you can really explain that which you understand.

Seriously, the best teachers I ever had were subject matter experts. You knew they knew their material. I love my physics classes. I love it when they ask questions that are off topic but I know all the answers anyway. Yes, I struggle with putting it in terms they understand but my kids are teaching me how to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM

10 posts, read 30,578 times
Default Childfont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I feel that whenever I tell people that I want to teach, I get this automatic look of disdain, it's really frustrating especially since I am looking to teach in an urban setting & w/ young kids. Since I'm an English major, a lot of people assume that teaching is what I'll ultimately do w/ my degree. However, unlike a lot of my fellow colleagues majoring in English, they don't want to teach at all!

So basically, are teachers respected or not in your humble opinion of course?
The students who really want to do something great in their life ,then those students will definitely respect teachers . But the students who are a burden on the society , they will not respect teachers .

Old 05-04-2009, 10:02 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,308,039 times
As a general rule people get the respect they have earned. If you are complaining about a lack of respect, perhaps you should take a long look at what you have done to earn the respect you seek. I am not saying there are not good teachers out there, and I am sure I will get some indignant replies from teachers dislocating their elbows to pat themselves on the back, but overall the educational system in this country leaves a lot to be desired. When teachers are confronted with the deficiencies in the system and the low test scores of high school students they blame parents and arrogantly tell critics they do not know what they are talking about. You must also assume some responsibility for the Unions who represent you. IMO the NEA and the CTA are completely dishonest and I do not trust anything they say or stand for. In California education gets 40% of the state budget, (40 billion dollars) of that less than one half ever makes it to the class room. The school systems are rife with graft and corruption. Teachers know that, but they lack the courage to stand up and confront a system that is failing. If you a part of a corrupt system you will be judged as one of the criminals.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:59 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,534,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i know you must be kidding.
the welfare staff here is full of credentialed teachers.
there is a reason soldiers drive armored vehicles in bagdad.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Maybe if teachers stopped complaining about not being respected and stopped asking questions about why they aren't respected the public would stop debating it as a question. Sorta makes you wonder about a profession that is so worried about being loved. Could make one wonder if teaching attracts individuals who have a deep seated need to be loved and feel wanted.
It's not an issue of wanting to be loved. I don't care if you love me but I should be respected. I did a lot less as an engineer but I was respected. I do a much more important job now and I'm dissed??? No one deserves disrespect. The degrees, training and certification that teachers go through should be respected.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:13 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I The degrees, training and certification that teachers go through should be respected.
Why? I never put much weight (or respect) into degrees, etc, so why would I in the case of teachers?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Why? I never put much weight (or respect) into degrees, etc, so why would I in the case of teachers?
Because when people take the time to accomplish something, it should not be dissrespected. Given the number of people who never get an education, getting one ought to be valued.

Why should my engineering degrees be respected but my teaching degrees not?

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,139,558 times
Quote:
Because when people take the time to accomplish something, it should not be dissrespected. Given the number of people who never get an education, getting one ought to be valued.
There is a different in not respecting one's degrees and disrespecting them. Namely, you are ambivalent. When someone tells me they have a degree (especially from a low-med tier college) I don't think anything of it and I will treat them the same as someone without a degree even in the subject they studied.

Quote:
Why should my engineering degrees be respected but my teaching degrees not?
It should not, but the question is not "are teaching degrees" respected, but "Are teachers respected". As people, teachers are often not respected. Not only from the kids, but the general society. Why would that be, do you think?

Old 05-08-2009, 05:05 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,131,225 times
Quote:
It's not an issue of wanting to be loved. I don't care if you love me but I should be respected. I did a lot less as an engineer but I was respected. I do a much more important job now and I'm dissed??? No one deserves disrespect. The degrees, training and certification that teachers go through should be respected.
Considering the outcomes you describe at your school who determined it is a more important job. That may be part of the problem. Class room teachers value what they do more than society does and thus we have a disconnect on how important our work is.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Considering the outcomes you describe at your school who determined it is a more important job. That may be part of the problem. Class room teachers value what they do more than society does and thus we have a disconnect on how important our work is.
You know what's funny? Society valued what I did as an engineer more than I did. To me it was just another day at the office. It's sad when you realize that everything you've ever done is, ultimately, headed for a junk yard. At least teaching kids affords the possibility of making a difference in someone's life that could live on.

I have no idea why society would value me as an engineer but not as an educator of society's children.

And I'm not asking to be loved or patted on the back. I'm not asking to be held up as I was as an engineer (I was uncomfortable with that) Just don't diss me. My ed degree is not reason to look down on me and treat me like I do a job anyone can do or tell me I don't have a real job or I only work my job for the summers off. This is the hardest job I've ever done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching