Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times

Advertisements

Whether or not one actually AGREES that educators should live in a fishbowl or be upheld to a higher standard than people who don't work intensively with youth, the fact remains that both are true, fair or not. It's just one of those things that goes with the territory, and if you choose to enter into that type of a profession, it's best to be aware of it, and either adhere to it or not...but if you choose not to adhere to it, it's more or less at your own risk.

If you go ahead and sign a contract that incorporates standards you don't agree with or have a philosophical problem with, that's also something you do of your own free will and with the knowledge that it could bite you in the ass. Don't like the terms of your contract/find them unfair? You don't have to work there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
of course if she is trying to hook up with minors on face book and is holding a beer that could be an issue.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:43 AM

549 posts, read 1,929,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Our district has its own Facebook page, but they block Facebook at school.
Hahah!

Old 11-21-2009, 10:46 AM

5,007 posts, read 10,684,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Whether or not one actually AGREES that educators should live in a fishbowl or be upheld to a higher standard than people who don't work intensively with youth, the fact remains that both are true, fair or not. It's just one of those things that goes with the territory, and if you choose to enter into that type of a profession, it's best to be aware of it, and either adhere to it or not...but if you choose not to adhere to it, it's more or less at your own risk.

If you go ahead and sign a contract that incorporates standards you don't agree with or have a philosophical problem with, that's also something you do of your own free will and with the knowledge that it could bite you in the ass. Don't like the terms of your contract/find them unfair? You don't have to work there.
Exactly. We live in a capitalist society; the biggest and best statement that an individual can make is to boycott. If you don't like a product, don't buy it; if you don't like a profession or job, then don't work there. I think that it is very sad that a lot of people--especially teachers--do not realize how empowered they are. If you engage in a job or profession that offers substandard conditions and wages, then you accept them, and no matter how much you might complain about them, you are offering very little impetus for change if you continue to work in such an industry and accept such standards.

If you really want to make a statement, don't accept such crap. In fact, the reason why public school teachers' salaries were initially raised was not b/c of the teachers fighting from within the system but b/c there was such a horrible shortage that admin, etc. had to do something to lure teachers back. If more teachers stood up for themselves rather than accepted such horrible working conditions, the field of education would not offer such substandard and autocratic working conditions, and might just be forced to change.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Supposing we have a young school teacher that teaches grade school.

She also has a part time night job at a strip club.

The children she teaches do not visit the strip club therefore would have NO idea or connection with her extra source of income.

Does that mean she should lose her teaching job even tho there is NO connection?

Only a parent who were to visit the club would know of her dual jobs...and then may be prejudiced.

Steve

Old 11-21-2009, 01:09 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
There is more to this story than the original link provides. The teacher in question had her privacy filters set so only those on her friends list could see her page. The complaint was made anonymously.
Finally, she wasn't fired. She felt coerced to resign. I wonder if the charges would have held up before the school board, but somehow I don't think so. If she had held her ground the whole thing might not have escalated.

For the record, I think the entire thing is ridiculous.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
The thing that bothers me about the concept of saying "don't like it? Don't work there," is that I don't think public schools should be in the business of deciding on morality issues for employees outside of work hours. If it was a private school then yes, that seems like a valid point. But as a member of the public and a parent of a future public school student, I find it highly disturbing that a school board or administration or any other body would make a judgement call on legal activities done on personal time outside of school or any school context. I'm not a teacher and can't make my opinions known by refusing to work at such a school; I am, however, a community member and a taxpayer, and I think the entire situation is outrageous.

I didn't realize she felt coerced into resigning. She should have held her ground.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:04 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Great, our school wants us on things like facebook. They think it helps when we use the same technology as the students.
But do/or would they want you posting pictures of yourself at your second job as a topless dancer? Now remember that topless dancing is LEGAL.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:10 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Is this a Georgia thing? Here is another recent case. No charges were filed. The schools are looking for funding, meanwhile the administrators are wasting $$$ on court cases:

Fired Teacher: ‘He Had A Knife To My Face’ - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Old 11-21-2009, 02:10 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
How many of you would defend this guy? Now remember what he was doing was on his on time and is LEGAL. This is NOT the only case on what this guy was doing..

Off-the-job smoker sues over firing - The Boston Globe

Hers's more..

Where there is smoke, there are terminations: smokers fired to save health costs | HR Magazine | Find Articles at BNET

And before you Yell But Smoking is bad for your health.....I know people that drank them selves into an early grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching