Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times

Advertisements

There is a teacher in a town here that was fired because a picture of her holding a beer was found on Facebook by the principal. The picture was taken in the summer during her vacation period. Last I knew, people over 21 can legally consume beer. Should it be any different for a high school teacher?

Winder teacher sues over dismissal || OnlineAthens.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:49 PM

45,331 posts, read 60,500,026 times
I believe you're in an "at will" and "right to work" state. I'm not sure about the tenure requirements but if they're similar to most she would not have been tenured until the first day of her third year and it sounded as if she had completed two years. No tenure means she could be fired for anything or nothing.
Having said that, no I don't think she should have been fired. It was probably bad judgement ( a factory worker, say, wouldn't be terminated for) but not a firing offense.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I believe you're in an "at will" and "right to work" state. I'm not sure about the tenure requirements but if they're similar to most she would not have been tenured until the first day of her third year and it sounded as if she had completed two years. No tenure means she could be fired for anything or nothing.
Having said that, no I don't think she should have been fired. It was probably bad judgement ( a factory worker, say, wouldn't be terminated for) but not a firing offense.
Public employees in Georgia are not under "at will". They have certain rights that private sector employees do not have (unless they are union). That is why she is able to sue.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:54 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I am in FL, and I distinctly remember that there was a similar clause in my contract. I remember being a little disturbed by it; in fact, I think that whole trend is really disturbing, and I have said as much on similar threads.

Teachers' rights [in and out of school] are being infringed upon more and more based on the "role model" argument, and I think that it has gone too far. Which is why I don't teach anymore.
However, I have also seen it happening in other professions (it just doesn't seem as severe).

In such situations, you *literally* as a teacher have people watching your every move. In fact, teachers are treated more like theirr students every day. And the rationale is usually that, if you are going to hold people (your students) accountable for their behavior, then you [as a teacher] are also going to be held accountable for your behavior. However, those who employ this rationale are either ignorant of the fact (or simply don't care) that teachers are adults and that, therefore, holding them accountable to the same rules as their students is completely ridiculous, or are simply being vindictive. Either way, I don't agree with it. But, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be illegal in many states to fire a teacher based on his/her behavior outside of the classroom, even if it has no impact on their job performance.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I think it's terrible, and I hope she wins her suit. Teachers are adults, should have the same full rights that everyone else has, and there's nothing wrong with an adult (teacher or not) having a beer, assuming it's not on school property or during work hours.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I would be very eager to hire a lawyer and sue if I were that woman. It's ridiculous to fire someone for doing something that is legal. Teaching is very often treated in a very paternalistic manner.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:19 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
That's ridiculous. If she were pregnant, I wonder if the principal would expect her to quit once she began to show. Geez!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
The fact that she teaches in a public school and NOT in a private religious school is also an issue for me. The public school system is there to establish a learning environment to students that teach basic knowledge. Teachers in public schools are put in the position to teach, not preach. Public school teachers are not allowed to discuss, in depth, religion, sex, and other extremely personal matters. Her facebook page, is/should be considered private and what is shown on her facebook page should not effect her job, and her teaching ability or position with the school. Now, if she came in drunk all the time or talked to the students about how fun it is to drink, that would be a different story. But, this teacher is 24 years old, over the legal drinking age, and behaving in a legal manner and her drinking was shown on a private forum for 'friends'! Glad she is taking this court!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Only behavior on the job should be considered as long as we're talking legal activities. I don't care if the teacher is a pole dancer in her off hours. That's her choice.

You're correct. I teach not preach. I got in trouble for actually answering the question when one student asked if I believed in God . I didn't realize I'm not even supposed to answer a direct question. Now I just take the 5th and tell students I can't discuss that.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:43 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
I wonder if the district had an acceptable use policy that covered this. If it did and she violated it, she's probably out of luck. If they didn't, different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching