Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,073,552 times

Advertisements

This story is exactly why I think teachers should give a wide berth to social networking sites. Spend a little time with the PTA, and you'll understand why teachers who maintain Facebook accounts are playing with fire. Parents get a little nuts where their children are concerned, and they don't care about work/life boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,286,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
There is a teacher in a town here that was fired because a picture of her holding a beer was found on Facebook by the principal. The picture was taken in the summer during her vacation period. Last I knew, people over 21 can legally consume beer. Should it be any different for a high school teacher?

Winder teacher sues over dismissal || OnlineAthens.com
It's rediculus.

But I've heard of the same thing happening elsewhere.

My neighbor across the street is a general manager of a JCPenny store. It's company policy that they cannot appear in photos on social websites like that. We went out to a bar one night and took a few pictures. My wife posted them on fb and the next thing we know his wife calls in a panic wanting us to pull them off there.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That's ridiculous. If she were pregnant, I wonder if the principal would expect her to quit once she began to show. Geez!
at one time, they did! If they were single, they were expected to be of "good moral character" and could be fired for smoking, drinking, or having sex...if it became public knowledge. Man or woman...but especially the woman, for some reason.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,359,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
at one time, they did! If they were single, they were expected to be of "good moral character" and could be fired for smoking, drinking, or having sex...if it became public knowledge. Man or woman...but especially the woman, for some reason.
I know. That was my point. "At one time..."

Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,359,380 times
She should keep a close eye on the principal, and any school board member for that matter, to make sure none of them ever have an alcoholic drink in public.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:46 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,798,895 times
She can swear like a sailor, drink like a fish, and dance nude on the table during her off hours for all I care, as long as she's not doing or talking about it or bringing any evidence of it to her job.

If, on the other hand, a teacher were friending current students and their parents on Facebook and posting (or allowing people to tag her in) photos that could be seen as unprofessional (fair or not, legal or not) then I'd think it showed lack of common sense and lack of judgement on her part. That doesn't sound like what happened in this situation, though.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,051,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Public employees in Georgia are not under "at will". They have certain rights that private sector employees do not have (unless they are union). That is why she is able to sue.

That only m,eans she is given a right to review board etc by the employer or is civil service. It has little to do with legal rights itself.For instance;a person who works for a elected offical not covered under contract can be fired for no reason.Happens all the time when a new elected offical comes inot office.That is the reason for civil service to protect employeees from politics ni most sates.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,024,929 times
Did her contract have "morals clause"?

Old 11-19-2009, 10:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,285,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did her contract have "morals clause"?
It all depends on that. If she signed a contract she should abide by it, whatever it says.

We haven't seen the picture nor read the coarse language, so I can't form an opinion on that, but a teacher should hold her/himself to a higher standard, contract or not. Students don't just look to teachers while they're in class. If they can't be good role models both in and outside the classroom, they shouldn't be teaching.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,798,895 times
I don't agree that teachers should be held to a higher standard than others, at least not outside of the classroom. And as long as she isn't bringing her outside life into the classroom or posting it in a very public forum (so yes, she needs to control her facebook account and make sure there are privacy settings), how are the kids going to know whether or not she drinks or attends themed bingo nights, anyway? It would be an issue if she were discussing these things in class, but this was all outside on her own time and in a setting that's not at all related to the school (or anywhere near students). It seems like a serious overreaching of boundaries on the school's part.

The fact that this is a public school district is what bothers me most. If the local private or religious institution wants to put in a morals clause then that's one thing, but public schools shouldn't be picking and choosing which legal activities they find to be morally problematic. It seems like a dangerous and slippery slope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching