Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Questions for those who moved to Tennessee, reasons for moving, Tennessee recommendation to others, good or bad surprises, quality of life better or worse, relocation issues

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Mrs1885
your #9. what animal laws are you talking about. The only thing im aware of is the new craze on banning pit bulls.
I was curious about that too. Here in NE TN except for within city limits you can have any animal you want except maybe some exotics without a proper license for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 06:46 PM

39 posts, read 153,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I saw this on the Florida forum and thought I'd modify it for Tennessee.

For those who moved to Tennessee:

1. Where did you come from and how long have you been in Tennessee?

Clearwater Florida---I shudder when I think of it now!!

2. What was the most important reason why you moved to Tennessee?
To get away from the mean spirited people and the Hurricanes and the heat.

3. What made you pick the particular town in Tennessee that you moved to?
Searching on the internet for a friendly, laid back, slower pace. PERFECT FIND!

4. How long did it take you to get comfortable with the move?
Immediately fell in love with Knoxville Tn.

5. If you had to do it over again would you still move to Tennessee? If no, would you have chosen a different town in Tennessee, moved to someplace other than Tennessee or returned to the place you left?
I would not change a thing, We love it.

6. Is your "overall " life better or worse in Tennessee than where you moved from?
I say much better. No regrets.

7. Do you have friends of relatives in other states that tried to either directly persuade you not to move to Tennessee or showed their displeasure/disapproval/incredulity/disgust/non-enthusiasm in more subtle ways? Why, do you know?
No, no-one really did. They had heard good things also.

8. Do you think the town where you live now in Tennessee will eventually turn into the place you left? If so, how long will it take?
I am worried it might, I am worried the Northerners (I am also a Northerner/halfback) who do not really know what they want will come here and try to change it into where they came from. I already hear it on this foruim and see it. My wish is they do not come here to change it but be a part Tennessee. Do not put it down for being slower, quieter. Thats what we all came here for. Appreciate Tennessee. If you do not like it here because of the way we all are, then please go back and leave Tennessee unmarred, undamaged, and just as friendly and slow as it is. We LOVE you Tennessee!

9. Since you got here, what has surprised you most either about Tennessee or your town in Tennessee? (good or bad)
The quietness of our neighborhood. The neighborhoods here can look like a rough neighborhood like where I am from in Minnesota. There is a MAJOR difference here in Knoxville--The families are more like families, parents know where their kids are. They are quiet at night and respectful for the most part. I am NOT used to that and I LOVE it. So, please do not judge an area based on where you are from---and those of you from here---do not take your wonderful Knoxville area for granted or pre-judge it---it is wonderful compared to many other states.

10. Would you recommend others move to Tennessee? Only those I know would not try to change it. Not to everyone.

Extra Question: What haven't you done yet since moving to Tennessee that you would like to do?
- Go to Nashville.

Thank you for this thread.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:57 PM

49 posts, read 141,068 times
I myself moved up here in Eastern Tennessee from Melbourne, Florida. I've been living here for 2 years. If I had to do it all again I would have never moved up here!!!!!!!! Sure it is pretty up here, but the job situation here is awful. Food taxes are high as hell!!!!!! Don't let people fool you about Tennessee, it's not as great as everyone brags. I'm looking forward to coming back to Florida. Miss the beach and sunshine!!!!! Winter in Tennessee is gray and gloomy for weeks on end. All of you floridians looking to move to East Tennessee make sure you spend some time up here before making the big move. Housing is a little cheaper than Florida but that's about it. Food taxes 9%!!!!!!! Gallon of milk $ 5.35!!!! Honestly give me a break on Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 06:26 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
regarding momma's post----------I would advise anyone moving to a different state to try (if possible) to visit that state in the worst (or least desirable season) before moving.
Being from MN , nearly every state with a warmer winter would appear nice.
5 years ago I wanted to check out an area of Alabama. I PURPOSELY visited the area in early August so I could experience their summer heat and humidity. Yes it was hot and humid, but I would not rule that state out although I went there knowing that at that time of the year we had better weather back home.
If someone goes through Eastern TN or Eastern KY in early Nov, they would bound to be impressed by the gorgeous fall colors,nice weather, and scenic views. A visit back in winter may (or may not) affect their picking it as a re-location destination

I realize my "method' isn't practical for people being transferred or someone moving on a short notice, but anyone planning for retirement with a few years to research, should try my "method"

Old 12-14-2007, 06:44 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Momma,

I'm really sorry your experience here hasn't been a good one. I came here from Florida as well. I love it here. Everyone sees through different eyes. The people that brag about Tennessee love it here. It doesn't mean they are fooling anyone. It"s their perspective on the place they live. Not everyone will have the same experience. I think some people moving here from out of state, should look at things more closely before moving. Things like sales tax, real estate tax, job markets should all be looked at ahead of time. Chattanooga, for instance, is a really pretty area, but I could not live there due to the job market for my husband. I had to choose an area of Tennessee that had what we needed to live and be successful here. I choose Murfreesboro due to the job market. We both had to work in order to live anywhere in this world, so we let our jobs lead us to where we would live. I would have loved to live in the mountains, but that would have not been feasable for us at this time. As for sale tax, in the whole scheme of things compared to Florida it's minor. Real estate tax, homeowners insurance and the cost of homes amounts to way more of an expense then 9% sales tax on food amounts to. Sales tax can be controlled to a certain extent.

Anyway, I'm sorry again that you are not happy here. I wish you the best should you return to Florida.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
Momma,

I'm really sorry your experience here hasn't been a good one. I came here from Florida as well. I love it here. Everyone sees through different eyes. The people that brag about Tennessee love it here. It doesn't mean they are fooling anyone. It"s their perspective on the place they live. Not everyone will have the same experience. I think some people moving here from out of state, should look at things more closely before moving. Things like sales tax, real estate tax, job markets should all be looked at ahead of time. Chattanooga, for instance, is a really pretty area, but I could not live there due to the job market for my husband. I had to choose an area of Tennessee that had what we needed to live and be successful here. I choose Murfreesboro due to the job market. We both had to work in order to live anywhere in this world, so we let our jobs lead us to where we would live. I would have loved to live in the mountains, but that would have not been feasable for us at this time. As for sale tax, in the whole scheme of things compared to Florida it's minor. Real estate tax, homeowners insurance and the cost of homes amounts to way more of an expense then 9% sales tax on food amounts to. Sales tax can be controlled to a certain extent.

Anyway, I'm sorry again that you are not happy here. I wish you the best should you return to Florida.

I completely agree! TN is not for everyone, heck I hope they never find a place that is right for everyone cause then everyone would be THERE and then become to crowded. And everyone liking, wanting the same thing makes for boring.
Kim918 is right, if you are moving here from a high cost state that refers to "high cost" as things relating only to homeownership such as: house cost, property taxes, homeowners insurance, etc, and you don't own a home there, nor will you own one here, you may not like it here if that is your sole reason for moving here. Sure, rent might be cheaper here but other things are going to be the same or higher costs here as they were where you are from. Groceries will be about the same cost if not higher here. Gas will be a tad cheaper but not by much. Rent will be cheaper in some areas of TN and the same in others as what you are used to. Pay will be less here. I suggest putting pencil to paper and do a real budget before moving here. For me it was almost a total wash between FL and TN becuase of lower pay here. But our quality of life went WAY up and that had nothing to do with money. I also agree, come and visit, for as long as you can in the season you are the most worried about. You also have to decide why it is you are moving from your current state. What are you trying to get away from and what are you going to have to deal with in exchange? Is that worth the move? Another word of advice (boy I am full of that aren't I? LOL!) if the ONLY reason you are planning to move to TN is cost of living, rethink it. After all, what good is money if you do not like where you are every day? Me, I LOVE it here! It is just right for me and my family and I know I say that just about every chance I get, that is really because I have lived in places I could not stand and was miserable just because of location. I honestly can not think of one thing that I would change about where I live in TN. I do not wish for a certain store or activity. I am comfortable with the pay rate and cost of living. I am comfortable with the traffic patterns and will be fine with the inevitable growth that will change that some. I also like the local governments actions and party. I like their planning strategies. I am very happy with the schools for my boys as are they. I LOVE the people here. So my point being is look at what it is you REALLY want out of your day to day life, what you don't want and see if you can find it, whether it be TN or MI, or CT, or WA but really looking deep at how you want to spend your time (realistically of course cause we all want to be on vacation 24/7 but it isn't gonna happen) and then with that info, decide if TN is right for you.
Merry Christmas! (oh, that brings up a good point. If you don't like hearing that said by everyone for a month or more, you won't like it here in Dec. )

Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
I myself moved up here in Eastern Tennessee from Melbourne, Florida. I've been living here for 2 years. If I had to do it all again I would have never moved up here!!!!!!!! Sure it is pretty up here, but the job situation here is awful. Food taxes are high as hell!!!!!! Don't let people fool you about Tennessee, it's not as great as everyone brags. I'm looking forward to coming back to Florida. Miss the beach and sunshine!!!!! Winter in Tennessee is gray and gloomy for weeks on end. All of you floridians looking to move to East Tennessee make sure you spend some time up here before making the big move. Housing is a little cheaper than Florida but that's about it. Food taxes 9%!!!!!!! Gallon of milk $ 5.35!!!! Honestly give me a break on Tennessee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All of this information (weather, taxes, job situation) was available before you moved, though. I know you knew we didn't have a beach. You moved for pretty scenery and cheap housing, right?

Old 12-15-2007, 12:47 PM

3,897 posts, read 1,228,299 times
Default Move for the 'Right' Reason!!

Momma123:

Prices in FL have definitely changed since you lived here two (2) years ago. If you are only paying $5.35 for a gallon of milk in TN, be thankful....in FL, we are paying $6.49 a gallon. The cost of groceries overall is ridiculous down here! We transferred here from NC a year ago, and even with paying 7.25% food tax in NC and dropping to zero (0) food tax in FL, you would think there would be a drop in my grocery bill.....WRONG!! My grocery bill for basically the same items, increased by over $200 per month - so food tax isn't the problem. (An example is my favorite ice cream....it cost $2.00 MORE per gallon here - and even when it's on sale, it is still more expensive than NC or TN!!)

The overall cost of living is much higher here.....(As of yesterday - 12.14.07 -gas is $3.23 / gallon!!) I bet you're not paying that much in TN!

So, if you are thinking about moving back to FL because of 'expenses' - you might want to do some more research! It sounds like you are really just missing your 'home' and I can definitely understand that. Just be sure that you know what you will be facing financially when you move back!

I KNOW for a FACT, that the reason that I hate living in FL is because I miss living close to my family and I miss having four (4) seasons!!! I am counting down the days until we can call East TN home!! (Just 110 more days!!!!) Lower living expenses will just be 'gravy'!!

Everyone else, please keep the fires burning, 'cause I can hardly wait to enjoy real 'winter' again!! It's 85 degrees today.......just can't get in the Christmas mood while you are sweating from the 'winter humidity'!! LOL

We are thinking about setting the aircondioner down to about 70 and just pretend it's winter......but the electric bills are already so high, that we better not!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Christmas season - no matter where you are living!!

Wish that I was on ol' ROCKY TOP!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momma123 View Post
I would take a high sales tax compared to the high property tax of Florida. The best thing is sales taxes are spread across the board. so the more you spend the more you pay. You also allow for tourists to supplement your tax base.

High property taxes you are stuck. No getting out of it. Also it is completely unfair. 2 identical houses next door to each other and their tax rates can be totally different based on when a person moved in. Sure some may say it promotes stability but it also stiffens new home purchases.

The bottom line is taxes have to be paid or you get no services. Give me high sales tax any day with low property and no state income tax any day.

Have to agree with you about the job market. One of the biggest things holding me back is the job market up there. I have no doubt I can find a job. But being a true IT guy always have a back up. If god forbid I lost that job could I find another in a short amount of time and up in TN I don't think I could. Unlike in SFLA or Atlanta

Old 12-20-2007, 02:03 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
I would take a high sales tax compared to the high property tax of Florida. The best thing is sales taxes are spread across the board. so the more you spend the more you pay. You also allow for tourists to supplement your tax base.

High property taxes you are stuck. No getting out of it. Also it is completely unfair. 2 identical houses next door to each other and their tax rates can be totally different based on when a person moved in. Sure some may say it promotes stability but it also stiffens new home purchases.

The bottom line is taxes have to be paid or you get no services. Give me high sales tax any day with low property and no state income tax any day.

Have to agree with you about the job market. One of the biggest things holding me back is the job market up there. I have no doubt I can find a job. But being a true IT guy always have a back up. If god forbid I lost that job could I find another in a short amount of time and up in TN I don't think I could. Unlike in SFLA or Atlanta
WOWAddict,

I moved from Lake Worth too. Where do you live in Lake Worth? I was off Military and Malelueca Lane "Unincorporated". A lot depends on where you move in Tennessee. Like I said in an earlier post, we chose Murfreesboro because there is a lot here. My husband is a CNC Machinist programmer and he found a job within two weeks of moving here and is now at the same pay as he was in Florida after only 3 months. He made calls from Florida to different companies and just asked questions. How much they paid and how often they hired. You could actually do the same thing. Make calls and just ask questions. You can get a feel of what is going on in your field and an idea of where it would be better for you to live. Print out lists of companies and call them.
In our case, it did pay off. After being here for a few months, we have found out that there are quite a few companies here that he could apply to should the need arise. I would think in your field it would be very easy to find employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee