Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:39 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been chased by a black racer. LOL. Not saying they will attack or bite but they will scare the crap out of ya. Provocation nees to be defined. Im thinking in a snakes mind provocation could be just a touch or stepping to close. I saw on a documentary pit vipers may "accidently" bite humans mistaking them for prey detected by their heat sencing abilities. Ive always been told during, someone help me out, I think they call it dog days that snake will strike at anything that moves. Now that is probably horse hocky, I have heard it from all the old timers here.
Iv only known one person hospitalized for copperhead bite. He was older and hunting gensing way out in the woods and was bit on the finger. It got real black and nasty for awhile but he was ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 11:24 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Have you ever been chased by a black racer. LOL. Not saying they will attack or bite but they will scare the crap out of ya. Provocation nees to be defined. Im thinking in a snakes mind provocation could be just a touch or stepping to close. I saw on a documentary pit vipers may "accidently" bite humans mistaking them for prey detected by their heat sencing abilities. Ive always been told during, someone help me out, I think they call it dog days that snake will strike at anything that moves. Now that is probably horse hocky, I have heard it from all the old timers here.
Iv only known one person hospitalized for copperhead bite. He was older and hunting gensing way out in the woods and was bit on the finger. It got real black and nasty for awhile but he was ok.
Racers are known to give short, rapid bursts at a perceived threat. They might even bite sometimes as well, funny little devils they are! And I dont think a rattler would "accidentally" bite a human. Their heat sensing pits show the heat signature of their prey very accurately. I dont think a rattler would bite something as large as a human, there's no way they could consume it, defeating the purpose. And if someone got bit by a rattler at night (when the pits are used), its probably because they were too close to the snake and the snake felt threatened.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Just like most of the "big snake eating a human" myths are debunked.

A snake generally knows what it can and cannot consume.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Just like most of the "big snake eating a human" myths are debunked.

A snake generally knows what it can and cannot consume.
A python or anaconda (full grown) would have no problem consuming an average adult man. Ive seen them consume small hippos before.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I dont think a rattler would "accidentally" bite a human.
Thats just what was said on some documentary I watched about western rattlers and snake bites. The only one Ive ever encountered let me know not to tread on it! I went the other direction. Quick.
I have been in the middle of a racer courtship, well I suspose thats what was going on. I was doing quail call acounts and could not move for 10 min. when 3 came slithering into the field, raising up about knee high, chasing each other and intertwinging. They went right across my feet a few times. Not the best experience for me, but I suffered thu it.LOL

Old 06-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thats just what was said on some documentary I watched about western rattlers and snake bites. The only one Ive ever encountered let me know not to tread on it! I went the other direction. Quick.
I have been in the middle of a racer courtship, well I suspose thats what was going on. I was doing quail call acounts and could not move for 10 min. when 3 came slithering into the field, raising up about knee high, chasing each other and intertwinging. They went right across my feet a few times. Not the best experience for me, but I suffered thu it.LOL
How cool! Sounds more like the males were fighting over who would court the female. Its basically a wrestling match, no biting whatsoever takes place. I would LOVE to witness that, very cool! Thanks for sharing your story.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:02 PM

I didnt think so at the time. I was sweating bullets, but did manage to finish the counts. That was a summer I spent in Misissippi when I was a student. There are lots of creepy crawlies there. I admire your appriciation of snakes. Ive known only 2 people that share your enthuasim. I prefer critters with fur.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
A python or anaconda (full grown) would have no problem consuming an average adult man. Ive seen them consume small hippos before.
Okay, but haven't all the claims of them eating humans been debunked? I've seen one set of pictures in all the searches I've done on the net, and I'm not convinced that they're real.

But even so, if it happened once would we really consider it to be something that "happens", or maybe something that happens once in a great while.

I know they kill humans at times (often unintentionally) but actually eating an entire human I'm having trouble finding reliable sources.

Man-Eating Snakes I

Here's one site that had some statistics, but everything else I found wasn't very helpful.

Just curious...

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

176 posts, read 800,055 times
I stand by my original statement, that is, that an overly-casual attitude towards snakes can lead to serious consequences. The issue is not with people who are familiar with snakes (although serious problems arise even there occasionally) but to view snakes in the same category as birds, rabbits, etc. is foolish.

Snakes are stealthy and can be difficult or impossible to see and despite precautions we may come in contact with them. Most are essentially harmless; some are venomous enough to seriously threaten us. People who are familiar with mushrooms hunt and eat them but mis-identification leads sometimes to tragedy. So, too, it is with snakes; I don't fear snakes but I respect them and leave them alone. Those who wish to interact with them are free to do so. I won't.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:37 PM

didnt you watch the movie anaconda? LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee