Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
yes, its more than possible. have myself seen the copperhead/timber rattler crossbreed. and have heard of the rattler/black snake cross and been told that their venom is impure and there is no anti-venom yet? not 100% sure on that but i can say for sure they are cross-breeding!!!
FWIW, it's biologically impossible for snakes (or any other critters) from different genera to breed. A horse can mate with a zebra and a lion with a tiger because they're in the same genera. In a captive-breeding environment, it would be possible to create a copperhead/cottonmouth hybrid since they're both in the same genus (Agkistrodon).

While rattlesnakes (genus Crotalus) and copperheads are both vipers, they cannot mate with each other. And black rat snakes (commonly called "black snakes") are Colubrids, an entirely different family so they absolutely cannot form hybrids w/ rattlesnakes.

Last edited by kamoshika; 08-08-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 12:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Tennessee and North Georgia pretty much have the same snakes (for those wondering) but sometimes the coloring can throw you off. Common nonpoisonous snakes can sometimes have patterns that make them look like a Copperhead or something, which is why it's good to make note of the shape of their heads/eyes if you see one.

Here's one that recently has me stumped:

This 8 inch long snake was "hacked" by a weed whacker in my back yard a few weeks ago...

(If the link doesn't autoload the photo, you can see it HERE )

Unfortunately, the guy who was weed eating had no idea where the head of the snake flew off to (we looked and never found it). This one tricks me. A neighbor SWEARS it's a baby Copperhead. I've seen baby Copperheads before and by 6-8 inches the ones I've seen always had their patterns much more pronounced than this one. I think this is a common Brown Snake. The neighbor still says it's a Copperhead. If anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

But if you have any kind of a yard in GA or TN for that matter - snakes ARE there. You just probably never see them if you haven't yet.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:48 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlybear34 View Post
What is this rascal? Saw him in the Chattanooga area...

He was at least 4 feet long.
Look up "speckled kingsnake" (Lampropeltis genus), those are awesome, and make really great pets, too.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Tennessee and North Georgia pretty much have the same snakes (for those wondering) but sometimes the coloring can throw you off. Common nonpoisonous snakes can sometimes have patterns that make them look like a Copperhead or something, which is why it's good to make note of the shape of their heads/eyes if you see one.

Here's one that recently has me stumped:

This 8 inch long snake was "hacked" by a weed whacker in my back yard a few weeks ago...

(If the link doesn't autoload the photo, you can see it HERE )

Unfortunately, the guy who was weed eating had no idea where the head of the snake flew off to (we looked and never found it). This one tricks me. A neighbor SWEARS it's a baby Copperhead. I've seen baby Copperheads before and by 6-8 inches the ones I've seen always had their patterns much more pronounced than this one. I think this is a common Brown Snake. The neighbor still says it's a Copperhead. If anyone wants to chime in, feel free.

But if you have any kind of a yard in GA or TN for that matter - snakes ARE there. You just probably never see them if you haven't yet.
If your neighbor thinks thats a copperhead, he/she needs to go back to school! That looks like a small Storeria dekayi, aka "brown snake". Completely harmless and cute little guys that are good to have around.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
That's what I thought. Oh well, he drinks a lot anyway. Explains it. LOL

Old 08-15-2008, 11:34 AM

1 posts, read 20,243 times
I need to no what kind of snake this is. It is black with a red strip on the top of his head. I had a small one in my basement an I killed it, but I had one more in my front yard under my big shade tree, than another in my back yard under my steps that go to my deck. It looks like its solid black except for the red on his head. I did not say around to look at any closer. I was walking my dog when I almost came on top of the snake in front, he raised his head, an I through some rocks at it an it took off. I have a fear of snakes an I do not even go look at them when you go to the zoo. If anyone knows what kind of snake this is please let me know, an let me no if it is poison, I have grandchildren that come over an play in my yard an basement. Someone please help me an tell me what kind of snake this is.

Sincerely
Pat Clark

Old 08-16-2008, 03:31 AM

849 posts, read 2,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Look up "speckled kingsnake" (Lampropeltis genus), those are awesome, and make really great pets, too.
That is the one! I just googled it/ Thanks for the knowledge and I am glad I didn't run it over. That was a big boy!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 46,422 times
Default Poisonous snakes in TN

They forgot about the coral snake. I grew up in the area around Ridgely, Lake County. Never saw very many of them, but they were around.
Usually rather small, less than a foot, and appearance does not match up with other venomous snakes.

Head is round and about same diameter as the main body.
Colors; red, yellow, and black bands, very similar to a banded(crimson) king snake.

Just remember this rhyme and you will be safe;

Red on black ... pat him on the back. (the red and black rings touch)
Red on yellow ... kill a fellow. (red and yellow bands touch each other)

The mouth is quite small and they usually bite the web between the fingers or other small parts.

You have much more to fear from the cotton mouth and the copperhead, as you are more likely to run into them.

Copperheads like areas around porch lights, which attract bugs and bugs attract frogs, which copperheads love to eat!
Near any stream, pond or lake, beware the cottonmouth!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 46,422 times
Don't forget the coral snake, a small, beautiful, but deadly snake.

You are not likely to be bitten by one though as they are so small that they can only bite places like the webs between the fingers, ears, and other small places.

Just remember;
Red on black, pat him on the back (false coral/crimson king snake)
Red on yellow, kill a fellow. (coral snake)

Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclark View Post
I need to no what kind of snake this is. It is black with a red strip on the top of his head. I had a small one in my basement an I killed it, but I had one more in my front yard under my big shade tree, than another in my back yard under my steps that go to my deck. It looks like its solid black except for the red on his head. I did not say around to look at any closer. I was walking my dog when I almost came on top of the snake in front, he raised his head, an I through some rocks at it an it took off. I have a fear of snakes an I do not even go look at them when you go to the zoo. If anyone knows what kind of snake this is please let me know, an let me no if it is poison, I have grandchildren that come over an play in my yard an basement. Someone please help me an tell me what kind of snake this is.

Sincerely
Pat Clark
Is there a pic attached? If so, I cant see it. Look up "ringneck snake" and see if its a match. From the sound of it, its definitely not venomous. Timber rattlesnakes have a rust colored stripe that runs the lenght of their body, coulld that be what youre talking about? In any case, call Animal Control next time you see one, theyll remove it. Try not to kill them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee