Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 15,651 times

Advertisements

GreenDream - I have never posted on here but i have been following along with Mike and Lisa over the last six months since what they are doing has been a dream of my wifes and mine for years. In fact, my wife and i have just purchased 50 acres and our first act was to name it Harvesting Grace Farm but we have a long way to go before it is truly a homestead. I have deeply enjoyed the ups and downs Mike and Lisa have experienced and i hope that their successes and their missteps will help my wife and i as we try to develop our homestead. With that said - you were out of line in your first post. By not running electric, they are closing doors that may be needed in the future. Just because they never intend to sell does not mean they should not be prepared for that possibility. They are preparing for their future and that includes doing things that may never be needed in the future. I think it was a very smart decision. Its like buying a generator you may never need to use, but its better to have and not need then to need and not have.
Katsmeeyaw was a little emotional in here response. However, even though I have never met Mike or Lisa and until this moment, they didn't know i exsisted, but after following behind them while they work towards their dream you develop a connection and it is offensive when a stranger apparently gives off the cuff remarks to people that you have grown fond of, it is offensive. I would hope that you could understand that.
Mike and Lisa - i have truly enjoyed following behind you on your journey.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Well, its been great following your progress, accomplishments, and even the few things that didn't turn out just like you guys expected.
Got to say one thing, you two sure don't give up or get discouraged and quit when things don't go exactly right.
Be proud of what you've done. The folks who have followed this adventure from the beginning are proud of your sticktoitiveness and all you've accomplished.
I'm going to miss your posts. Wishing you health, happiness, and many years of enjoying what you have built in the Tennesee hills. Sure wish I was younger and had the resources do the same thing. It looks beautiful there.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:55 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,586 times
I honestly did not see anything wrong with with GreenDream's original comment. He simply disagreed with the way they did some things. There are some things I always wondered also.

Trust me I am sure they would go through my house and see tons of stuff they wondered what I was thinking. Compared to some of the people who were just blatantly mean spirited, this was a simple statement IMO.

To be honest I did not have an interest in the thread at first but being a DIYer quickly got sucked in with the weekly updates and looked forward to them. Your both really skilled and made it fun!! I also love the pictures of the amazing view!! Makes me sad to think my dream of moving up there is put on hold for a few years at least.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Pam&Bill- Thank you for contributing to our story and writing in many times.

CA Sweet Pea- Thank you for the well wishes.

MN2CO- You are very welcome.

Kat- Thanks for writing in.

Ketabcha- I'll let you know what changes we make.

Hawk J- Thank you so much. I will miss all of you...but we are still here Enjoy your piece of paradise and catch some big fish for Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDream View Post
Hello Lisa,

When I found that you were running electricity, and the real reason you hadn't run it previously, was the fact that your neighbor stopped you I felt a little deceived. If you truly intend to live off the grid, and never intend to sell the property, then there is absolutely no reason to run electricity to your property.
I am sorry you feel that way.
Let me explain why we brought electric into our land...and "all" people should if they have the opportunity.
1. Mike and I haven't used any of the electric that was brought in. It is at the barn and that's it.
2. Bringing power in is like jcarpenter22 said...it is insurance. One never knows what life will bring. Let me give you a few of scenarios. What if something happens to Mike and I need to sell the property to pay for bills or something happens to me? An Off Grid property or one where electric is not allowed would be worthless. What if something happens to Mike's daughter, God forbid, and we have no one to leave an "off grid" property to? What if as we get older we just can't maintain 40 acres and we "need" to sell?

We had a window of opportunity because it was court ordered to bring in the electric. You don't stop at that point. It's ashame electric wasn't brought into many properties in the past...it was free hook up then. The price will only increase to bring in electric, add septics and wells to raw land. If you have the chance it should be done to "protect yourselves and your family"

So Mike and I saw it as necessary because you can never know what might change in your life.

Do you carry insurance on your home, car, life, health? It's the same thing.

I hope you understand our decision a little better.

Kat- I love ya girl...you rock

jcarpenter22- Thank you for writing in. I am so happy for you and your wife, you must be so excited. I wish you the best on your new Homestead. It is a lot of work but it will be so rewarding...and frustrating, lol. It's a journey...that's for sure.

"By not running electric, they are closing doors that may be needed in the future. Just because they never intend to sell does not mean they should not be prepared for that possibility. They are preparing for their future and that includes doing things that may never be needed in the future. I think it was a very smart decision. Its like buying a generator you may never need to use, but its better to have and not need then to need and not have."

Well said...thank you.

Robhu- Thank you so much for the well wishes and writing in. We won't ever give up...we just fight back harder.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:17 AM

3 posts, read 12,458 times
Could someone give me a hand here and tell me how to subscribe to this thread? Its either really hard to figure out or I'm exceptionally dense this morning...thanks

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
WOWAddict- I am so glad you found our story enjoyable. You are so right...I'm sure we can all go into someone else's house and say "why did they do that?" That's what makes us all unique...good or bad, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeax00 View Post
Could someone give me a hand here and tell me how to subscribe to this thread? Its either really hard to figure out or I'm exceptionally dense this morning...thanks
Please help, anyone, if I do this wrong. I've only subscribed to one thread before, lol.

How to subscribe to a thread.

Go to the top right of the Thread page. You will see Thread tools...click on it. Then click subscribe to thread and follow the prompts.

This is also a link that might help.
//www.city-data.com/forum/about...ser-title.html

Anyone else? Tek...Beretta? Help, lol.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:13 AM

14 posts, read 54,746 times
Thank you so much for sharing your lives and adventures with us these past two years! It's been a fantastic journey. You deserve the 'break' although we all know you will both be working just as hard as always! Enjoy your beautiful garden (your veggies look fantastic! great job!) and give Niki smooches from all of us!

Old 06-29-2010, 06:14 PM

19 posts, read 73,293 times
I loved reading about your story. I will miss it, too. It would take a lot of paper, but you might want to print this out, (not my reply- your story) just so you will always have it. I guess you could do a lot of copy & paste and then put it on a CD. I did a blog on my travels, & then printed it so I could read it and remember what I did! LOL Don't worry about not everyone liking what you are doing. All I know is I enjoyed reading it but would not be able to live without electricity. Let us know what happens with your FL house! Thanks, Again. Susan

Old 06-29-2010, 11:05 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,540,294 times
I just subscribed to your thread. it was pretty easy! I almost missed your post this week. We camped in the Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area all last week, complete with heat index of 100-110. And our tent doesn't have A/C! lol Been trying to get back in the swing of things this week and almost forgot to check what you had done last week. Hate to see you go but I can understand there is only so much you can tell about. Look forward to seeing further posts.
Lisa, could you do me a favor? If you still have my email address, could you send me an email? My wife was working on putting a new program on my computer and wiped out most of my email addresses, including yours!
Take care
Have fun
Enjoy!
And thanks for the last 2 years of great reading!

Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,884 times
Wow!!!!! Look's like Peace!!!
I love it!!!
Congratulations!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee