Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 AM

9 posts, read 45,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
Tennessee is a wonderful state for many other reasons. Sounds like you are hoping Tn. stays the way it is because it reminds you of how most of upstate NY used to be?( and I'm including the western region of NY in my broad upstate NY comment)
Change happens and it can't be stopped. Don't you think with the amount of transplants arriving in Tn. for whatever their reasons, that there isn't going to be some effect on the face of the state? I'm sure sometime in the not so distant past, transplants and especially Yankees were not always welcomed with open arms. But transplants and Yankees are welcomed here as long as one acclimates themselves to the area and not try to change it to what one left.
By you commenting on someones left wing politics and telling them to go to Memphis, you are planting yourself squarely in the realm of what you are attempting to leave, and bringing that mentality here.
One of the nice aspects of Tn. is that there isn't the "Them vs. Us" mentality that NY state has between the upstate region and the city. There isn't an invisible line that divides this state as there is in NY.
Pam
You can step down off your soapbox now!I disagree ,with most of what you said(except the part about my wanting Tennessee to stay the way it is)

Anyone coming on a public forum that has mixed political bias,and bragging about being an Obama supporter(who is gonna get blown out by the way)
and then inquiring about illegal activities,is deserving of any flak they recieve!IMHO

The OP and I have different prioritys,she is a kid that has dillusions about living in Amsterdam and smoking lots of good hooch,
I want a nice envirement to continue raising my kids,and retire some day.I want tons of personal freedom,low taxes ,rural living.
She wants to rent an apartment,raise your taxes,and contribute to the drug problem in Tennessee.

Last edited by Tennessee Or Bust; 07-17-2008 at 10:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM

340 posts, read 1,189,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
I was curious about the cost of living difference between NY and TN. I keep hearing how much cheaper it is to live out there and with the beauty of your state compared to mine, I am realizing it's stupid to stay in NY much longer. We are planning a move to Amsterdam (Netherlands - not Amsterdam, NY) in November and don't much care to come back to NY afterwards. My boyfriend and I are 20 years old, he is just about to Graduate school with a degree in Television Production and I am taking a few semesters off to make money and do my travel, play outdoors thing until I go back to school with no days off for a year to get my Massage Therapy license. Has anyone made the move from my area, or NY in general, to Tennesee. If so, how do you like it? Is it too republican for my liking? I am a staunch Obama supporter - is that a HUGE no-no in TN? I don't want to go in with an ignorant point of view, either, as I don't want to offend any of my future neighbors. I just want beautiful views, a cheap way to live and great neighbors - which I hear TN has.

Also, where is a good place to start looking at? Here is what we are looking for: college students around our age to make friends with (but absolutely not a PARTY/nightlife scene. I mean, we definitely party but not with loud, obnoxious, sloppy, beligerant, a-holes), beautiful views (more than ANYTHING, we want this), a one bedroom apartment WITH a good reputation and a great view (hopefully cheaper than $700 a month - preferably around $500.00 if that's possible!) etc.

Where is a good placement for us? I was also curious about bills: how much for car insurance, health insurance, minimum wage, CIGARETTES (almost $8 a pack here!), how much for groceries/month, and answer this only if you want to - do you have good pot there? It's a stupid question to some but it's important for me to at least know it's there, good and available. Please and thank you in advance!!
East TN is very friendly, but depending on where you live, you could have good neighbors or not, just like anyplace else. I've found that I have good neighbors because I try to be a good neighbor.

The auto insurance and homeowners insurance are considerably cheaper than what we paid on the Gulf Coast, as well as electricity. Groceries are about the same as anywhere else, unless you shop the farmers markets, etc.

You probably won't have an apartment with a great view from Knoxville, too far away, especially on those summer days (like today) when we are under air quality alert and you can't find the mountains. You would have to move closer to Maryville or Alcoa for a great view.

East TN is conservative, possibly too much for you, unless you locate near UT or the Bearden area. People here get along with one another. When you say you are a "staunch Obama supporter", as long as that doesn't mean you would push your viewpoint off on anyone else, it shouldn't be a problem. If you do have to push Obama, then yeah, being a staunch Obama supporter can be a problem for you.

Wages are lower here, and might shock you, coming from NY. But the cost of living offsets that some. And there's no state income tax. People around here value their privacy and the fact that government isn't in their faces.

As far as the pot goes, I hope you can't find a good connection here. For a kid (and you are), you put too way much emphasis on it's importance. Good, clean fun is all over the place here, without having to break any laws. (Let's not have the 'pot should be legal' argument here, please. I'm responding as someone who enjoys being in a neighborhood where the neighbors are not bringing in an unsavory element -- which is what a drug dealer is.)

Overall, if you can tolerate being a "minority", and you show courtesy to those around you, and are friendly in return, then you would be just fine here.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:13 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
do you have good pot there? It's a stupid question to some but it's important for me to at least know it's there, good and available.
Wow! I missed that the first time I read your post.

Please, PLEASE don't move to TN.

Asheville, NC is the place you want to be, so load up your truck and move to NC.

Old 07-17-2008, 01:37 PM

97 posts, read 383,312 times
First off and most importantly, thank you for all the kind responses. I will look into all of this! Pam, thanks for standing your ground and helping me out. Everyone else, I appreciate everything, thank you!

BARB G; I don't want to argue about legalization or anything like that, please don't assume that just because I smoke that I think it's good for everyone and everyone should do it. I completely respect where you are coming from. I agree, for 98% of the day I do have clean, drug-free fun. It's just bedtime that's hard!!

To whoever posted about why cigs are $8/pack it's because Gov. Patterson has no one else to tax but us smokers. We are the bad guys, after all. Thankfully, a lot of people I know are quitting and I have cut down for sure. I went from a half pack a day to maybe three cigs every two days. I'm almost there!! They did the same thing in Canada with the prices. There, they are $10.00/pack so that people will quit. It's working there, too. I also smoke Marb. Reds and wont settle for less than the best, so that affects the amount I spend too.

Second:
Dear T.O.B (Rochester native),

As a liberal, I have done nothing to screw NY. I am only twenty, I have not been around long enough to mess up your scum-filled Rochester, New York. My parents are both republicans, so they have "done nothing to" your precious state either. Also, I will move wherever I please, whenever I please and I will bring my Obama supporters with me. You have no say in it!

I have my living situation all set up in Amsterdam already, so my "delusions" aren't exactly "delusions," are they? I leave November 7th and will probably only live there for a very short while, but still I'm doing it. Yes, I smoke pot. Every single day! Luckily, it's going to be decriminalized after Obama is elected so get used to it. Be sure to sign on to city-data in November so I can laugh in your face when he is elected President of our beautiful country. How do I have a mixed political bias? I know what I want for myself, for my future children and whoever best represents that is who I am voting for, this election year it's Barack Obama and I am very proud of that. I don't criticize you or anyone for their political standpoint because that's all it is, a point of view on very personal and VERY important subjects so why is what I want for myself any matter to you?

Looks like living in an area full of torn and tattered buildings and low-life's has got you down in the dumps (literally), TOB. We moved out of Rochester and into Amherst (#1 safest city in America for five years straight) when I was a newborn (20 years ago, almost exactly) because a four-year old girl down the street was murdered and others were kidnapped and it has not gotten any better. I don't think you have the right to tell me how to live or decide what I want for myself, after seeing first hand how you live and what you've got for yourself.

Have fun in TN! New York does not want, nor does it need ignorant people like you anyhow - God knows we have enough of them already. I think the people of Tennessee would be ashamed to see someone so rude moving there. All I wanted to know is if TN was the right place for me. It is beautiful, the people seem nice, it is cheaper and more realistic than New York, I want exactly what you want. Just because I am a liberal does NOT mean I want to live in a place with high taxes and very little natural beauty left in it. If TN is full of people like you, which I'd never assume it was, then cheap and beautiful or not, I want no part in it.

Love,
Maggie

PS. I didn't even read this part:

The OP and I have different prioritys (PRIORITIES?),
she is a kid that has dillusions (DELUSIONS?)
about living in Amsterdam (I MOVE NOVEMBER 7th, 2008)
and smoking lots of good hooch (HOOCH IS HEROIN, not pot, HAHAHA your ignorance is amazing)
I want a nice envirement (ENVIRONMENT)
to continue raising my kids, and retire some day. (AND I DON'T?)
I want tons of personal freedom,low taxes ,rural living. (ME TOO)
She wants to rent an apartment, (Obviously! I'M TWENTY)
raise your taxes, (HAHAHAHAHA)
and contribute to the drug problem in Tennessee. (Even more HAHAHAHAHAHA's)

Listen, I know you live in Rochester where you could probably afford a POS house there when you are young, but I AM TWENTY YEARS OLD, OF COURSE I WANT TO RENT AN APARTMENT! I don't want to live there for 49 years. I want to live there for six months and then go somewhere else in the world because I have ambition and drive. What is wrong with you, dude, seriously? You're crazy. Also, about me wanting to "contribute to the drug problem" I smoke a bowl of pot before I go to bed, in my bed. I have never driven under the influence, I have never brought it around or been high in front of my parents or my family, I have never sold pot, I have never given it to children, I never smoke with anyone but myself and my boyfriend. So how is this a problem? If you are so worried about the drugs there, why are you bringing your kids? I hope your kids start smoking "hooch" (hahaha) in the house while blowing it out the window so psycho Daddy does not smell it. (Which they will, I promise!)

Also, how rude of you to tell Pam to "step down from her soapbox". You are the one who is always right and apparently you know exactly what all other people want, we are all here specifically to sh it on you and make you cry about taxes, you are right. You should have Rochester step INTO that soapbox to clean itself up. Get over yourself - the world goes on with or without you. And now, lastly, I recommend getting spell check or going back to fourth grade to learn how to spell and type. It would make you a little more resourceful, I'm sure.

"My choice is what I choose to do and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who you choose to be. So if you're causing no harm - you're alright with me.
If you don't like my fire, then don't come around cause I'm gonna burn on down."

Last edited by ColoradoHereWeCome; 07-17-2008 at 02:37 PM..

Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Egads, I missed that the OP is looking for a ready supply of marijuana. I'm embarrassed that I didn't catch that.

At any rate, ColoradoHereWeCome, you might want to try somewhere else. While I'm sure there are ways to get dope around here, particularly in some of the neighborhoods around campus, you might be happier someplace like Asheville NC which is much more liberal than Knoxville or really anywhere else in Tennessee. I'm not saying I don't want you here, I'm just saying you might be happier somewhere else. I have students here at U.T. who joke about the ready availability of dope around here, but I think you might be more comfortable in a place like Asheville.

But one thing you might want to remember: the president of the United States cannot decide what drugs are or are not legal in this country. Even though liberals like to blame Bush for all the country's ills and liked to give Clinton credit for all the country's successes, the president is NOT that powerful. Obama may be able to do some great things, but legalizing marijuana is not one of them.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM

My home is fifty miles south of Rochester,in a nice little village of 2500 residents!Rochester blows,I am not in tune with all the bottomfeeder slang for various drugs!Obama is losing ground every day,the Republicans are gonna tear his flip flopping ass up in September!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM

JBT - I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but I didn't ever say the President would legalize pot. I don't think it should be legalized. I said he if for decriminalizing it. The only reason I brought up Politics is because I did not want to move there and get attacked for my own. I am very proud of what I stand for politically and if the subject came up with someone I met there, I didn't know if what I stand for would be accepted or challenged. That's the only reason I brought up politics. Lastly, I have spent some time - a few months in NC, not Asheville (I may check it out, thanks) but I did not like where I was staying in Charlotte. Clearly, as you can tell from my screen name - my dream home is Boulder, Colorado. To me, it's pure perfection. Thanks again!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:51 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Lawsy Mercy.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Or Bust View Post
My home is fifty miles south of Rochester,in a nice little village of 2500 residents!Rochester blows,I am not in tune with all the bottomfeeder slang for various drugs!Obama is losing ground every day,the Republicans are gonna tear his flip flopping ass up in September!

Don't claim to live in Rochester if you don't, it's embarrassing. I hope your nice little village is beautiful, I truly do. (That is not sarcasm.) If you are not "in tune with the slang then don't use it" it's ignorant. And Jesus Christ - I am not on here to TALK politics! I was simply asking if I'd be attacked for my political standpoint, which clearly I would be. So you can continue to flip out about the election, because I'm not worried in the least.

Obama for your Mama.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Don't claim to live in Rochester if you don't, it's embarrassing. I hope your nice little village is beautiful, I truly do. (That is not sarcasm.) If you are not "in tune with the slang then don't use it" it's ignorant. And Jesus Christ - I am not on here to TALK politics! I was simply asking if I'd be attacked for my political standpoint, which clearly I would be. So you can continue to flip out about the election, because I'm not worried in the least.

For a college educated kid ,you don't read too good do ya!
I said I lived near Rochester,meaning its the closest large city (gives people an idea of your general geographical region)I never once said I lived in Rochester.

And I never said you had mixed political bias,I wrote that this forum has mixed political bias!You really ought to work on your reading comprehension skills!But I guess smoking too much hooch will do that to ya!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee