Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:09 AM

141 posts, read 981,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
just depends what my husband finds. he wants to go to Medical school also. We have a lot of things in the fire. Military unit to find, jobs, schools, home....So I am not sure how all this will start out.....Home site would be nice to find...and maybe see what is available for work and then if nothing just find a differant home site. It is a lot of work to move. I moved to WV 12 years ago from MS. So I just am starting with neighborhoods and see where it leads me. I appriciate any help....Thanks
Medical school? There are four in the state that I am aware of. Vanderbilt, UT-Memphis, Quillen-ETSU, and Lincoln Memorial (LMU).

Of all four, LMU is probably in the most Beaver-esque, mountainous area. Harrogate is a small town, and LMU is about to usher in its inaugural med school class. It would be exciting to get in on the ground floor, and my understanding is they are going to be focused on a quality education for a reasonable price. Emphasis on rural private practice, Osteopathic Medicine. Incidentally, Quillen has the same focus but at the MD level.

Memphis has no mountains, and Nashville doesn't really either. Although the scenery around Nashville can be very pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
Medical school? There are four in the state that I am aware of. Vanderbilt, UT-Memphis, Quillen-ETSU, and Lincoln Memorial (LMU).

Of all four, LMU is probably in the most Beaver-esque, mountainous area. Harrogate is a small town, and LMU is about to usher in its inaugural med school class. It would be exciting to get in on the ground floor, and my understanding is they are going to be focused on a quality education for a reasonable price. Emphasis on rural private practice, Osteopathic Medicine. Incidentally, Quillen has the same focus but at the MD level.

Memphis has no mountains, and Nashville doesn't really either. Although the scenery around Nashville can be very pretty.
Don't forget Meharry in Nashville. It's a predominantly black medical school which means that Caucasian students can often get a free ride on "minority" scholarships. Meharry and Vanderbilt have a lot of cooperative programs.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 86,479 times
we are steering towards Knoxville. Sevier Co. or near here. Any commets on these areas? We will work from knoxville.... Live in the Mountains....thanks

Old 03-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilderness View Post
we are steering towards Knoxville. Sevier Co. or near here. Any commets on these areas? We will work from knoxville.... Live in the Mountains....thanks
Does your husband still plan on going to medical school? There's not a medical school in Knoxville. The closest to Sevier County is in Johnson City at ETSU, about 100 miles away.

Sevier County is beautiful, but depending where in Sevier County you live, a commute into Knoxville could be pretty tough. Seymour is within easy commuting distance to downtown Knoxville and U.T., probably about 20 minutes. Add another 10-15 minutes from Sevierville.

Old 03-04-2007, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 86,479 times
yal sure are nice and helpful down there.....I haven't found this nice of people here....I was looking at Seymour, wears valley, Townsend, kodak...I don't know which would meet the qualifications we are looking for. I have only been there for vacation never looked at neighborhoods. I hope to get more insight by reading information on here. When we come this summer I am in hopes of at least a for sure target area and then go from there....Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insanesmooch View Post
On that list Clarksville is the only one near Nashville. It's about 45 minutes North of Nashville. Maybe outside Clarksville you could find what you are looking for. You also wouldn't be near the Mountains either.
The other locations are about an hour or more to five hours from Nashville. Though I'm not sure where Albemarle Co. and Fredricksburg are.
Albemarle County and Fredericksburg are in northern and eastern Virginia.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Don't forget Meharry in Nashville. It's a predominantly black medical school which means that Caucasian students can often get a free ride on "minority" scholarships. Meharry and Vanderbilt have a lot of cooperative programs.
white medical students dont get a "free ride". They have to meet specific criteria as well.

Meharry Medical College - Academic Programs, Courses, and Degrees - Careers.org

It took my brother 8 years to get into med school in this country, with a 4.0 and a Masters in Biology.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
white medical students dont get a "free ride". They have to meet specific criteria as well.

Meharry Medical College - Academic Programs, Courses, and Degrees - Careers.org

It took my brother 8 years to get into med school in this country, with a 4.0 and a Masters in Biology.
Of course they have to do other things than just be born white. I never said otherwise. I have a friend (white) who went to Meharry, received a scholarship for being a minority race, and didn't have to pay a dime. This was after he didn't get accepted to other medical schools such as UT and Kentucky.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-21-2012, 09:18 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I think the Johnson City area has so much of what you are looking for it is better to hold out for a job in that region. It is the largest city in TN with mountains within reasonable commuting distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee