Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2020, 03:14 PM

117 posts, read 77,906 times

Advertisements

To anyone wondering why Tesla had a bad year. Consider this, why do they not allow dealerships in metropolitan areas of the United States? Why do they insist you order one ahead of time and pay $50,000 just to select the one you want. Why do you suppose if a tesla is put used on a lot, or somebody is selling their own Tesla has to put add a fee to that (like a tax) so they profit from the sale?
Every other car brand sold in North America (except for Hummer) has dealerships throughout the entire United States as far as I can comprehend, and allows the cars to be sold used AS IS without regulations.
Not to mention Tesla makes you use their "superchargers" for your car that are only available in select locations across the planet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 09:04 AM

37,389 posts, read 39,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieCanalLvR View Post
To anyone wondering why Tesla had a bad year. Consider this, why do they not allow dealerships in metropolitan areas of the United States? Why do they insist you order one ahead of time and pay $50,000 just to select the one you want. Why do you suppose if a tesla is put used on a lot, or somebody is selling their own Tesla has to put add a fee to that (like a tax) so they profit from the sale?
Every other car brand sold in North America (except for Hummer) has dealerships throughout the entire United States as far as I can comprehend, and allows the cars to be sold used AS IS without regulations.
Not to mention Tesla makes you use their "superchargers" for your car that are only available in select locations across the planet!
This year hasn't been a bad year for Tesla considering how other automakers have fared (and all things considered like the massive bungling of the pandemic especially in the US). They just had their fifth straight quarter of profits which is a milestone of sorts from them and now have reported more cash on hand than ever.

When you say "they do not allow dealerships", do you mean Tesla or what? Tesla is trying to not have dealerships, but they, as in dealership associations among other groups, have sometimes legislated it so that you must sell through a dealership network so that prevents Tesla from setting up shop or greatly changes its practices in certain states. Some people don't much like dealing with dealerships, me being one of them, and I do like the basically set price that Tesla has for its vehicles without haggling which feels like a throwback to Saturn to me.

As for superchargers, supposedly it's because when Tesla first launched, there was no agreed upon standard for fast charging that was actually fast so they ended up rolling their own and stuck with it. Supposedly its format is open to other automakers, but they have to pay into it and most in the US have instead opted for the CCS plug. Interestingly enough, Teslas in Europe also use a type of CCS plug as the EU essentially legislated into being a shared standard. It is true that outside of Europe, China, and the US/Canada, superchargers are quite rare, but there is always home charging.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:15 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,430,678 times
Quote:
Lots of bad info - Tesla had a record quarter that just finished - and has had a close to record year so far even with forced shutdowns of their factory.

They have showrooms in many metro areas - some are in malls but some are essentially corporate owned dealerships with showroom and service center in the same building. Tesla sells used (and new) online - you can pick any vehicle in the country, not limited to what is on hand locally. My Model X came from TX and was delivered to me in NV, no extra fee. You only pay $100 when order and you can refuse delivery if it has issues.

You can use any charger, but most charge primarily at home. Away from home, you can use any charger you like, an adapter comes with the car to use most other chargers, you are not limited to only using Tesla Superchargers. But IDK why you would want to use a different charger unless free - the superchargers are plentiful, give a faster charge and are mostly lower cost.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When you say "they do not allow dealerships", do you mean Tesla or what? Tesla is trying to not have dealerships, but they, as in dealership associations among other groups, have sometimes legislated it so that you must sell through a dealership network so that prevents Tesla from setting up shop or greatly changes its practices in certain states. Some people don't much like dealing with dealerships, me being one of them, and I do like the basically set price that Tesla has for its vehicles without haggling which feels like a throwback to Saturn to me.
Please check your grammar on this section of your post, all I could get out of it was Tesla somehow reminds you of Saturn. I was simply saying that Tesla doesn't have "dealerships" as in you don't pull onto a lot dedicated to Tesla expecting to finance a Tesla or browse inventory, you have to order ahead of time if you want to buy new. Whereas with Cadillac, Toyota, Subaru and other brands there are dealerships which carry the brand new and used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Lots of bad info - Tesla had a record quarter that just finished - and has had a close to record year so far even with forced shutdowns of their factory.

They have showrooms in many metro areas - some are in malls but some are essentially corporate owned dealerships with showroom and service center in the same building. Tesla sells used (and new) online - you can pick any vehicle in the country, not limited to what is on hand locally. My Model X came from TX and was delivered to me in NV, no extra fee. You only pay $100 when order and you can refuse delivery if it has issues.

You can use any charger, but most charge primarily at home. Away from home, you can use any charger you like, an adapter comes with the car to use most other chargers, you are not limited to only using Tesla Superchargers. But IDK why you would want to use a different charger unless free - the superchargers are plentiful, give a faster charge and are mostly lower cost.
Maybe I've doing it wrong then because when I look at the website it says something like "order now for $79,990" not "get one sent from TX for $25,000 + $100"
As for supercharger, there are places that say you need to use a specific charger and will even "service" your Tesla battery and you can buy a replacement battery somehow which also costs money. Tesla is all about finding ways to put fees on everything from what I can see.

Old 10-29-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Please check your grammar on this section of your post, all I could get out of it was Tesla somehow reminds you of Saturn. I was simply saying that Tesla doesn't have "dealerships" as in you don't pull onto a lot dedicated to Tesla expecting to finance a Tesla or browse inventory, you have to order ahead of time if you want to buy new. Whereas with Cadillac, Toyota, Subaru and other brands there are dealerships which carry the brand new and used.

Maybe I've doing it wrong then because when I look at the website it says something like "order now for $79,990" not "get one sent from TX for $25,000 + $100"
As for supercharger, there are places that say you need to use a specific charger and will even "service" your Tesla battery and you can buy a replacement battery somehow which also costs money. Tesla is all about finding ways to put fees on everything from what I can see.
I will use short sentences that are easy for you to understand.

Tesla does not sell through dealerships. It is intentionally not selling through dealerships. It is doing so for various reasons including avoiding having much of a customer's vehicle purchase money go towards paying the dealership. The dealership experience can be annoying to some people especially the haggling. Tesla's direct sales model eliminates the haggling which to some is a more pleasant experience. Saturn is another brand that also removed the haggling. Some people feel Tesla has a better purchasing experience overall. Unfortunately, Tesla sometimes runs into issues with its direct sales model due to dealership associations. These dealership associations often lobby for rules against direct sale and are sometimes successful. If you are having difficulty getting a Tesla in your state, then it may be related to rules put in place restricting direct sales.

You might have difficulty navigating websites as you need things to be very simple for you to understand. I can understand why you need a dealership and person to walk you through. However, if you are feeling adventurous here is the link you can click on your computer to try to figure out how to purchase a used Tesla from Tesla itself: https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms

What are you referring to with "there are places that say you need to use a specific charger"?

Your first post started off incorrect by asking "To anyone wondering why Tesla had a bad year." It is odd because it will likely be Tesla's most profitable year so far. It has two factories under construction and another one undergoing an expansion. It will have delivered and sold more product this year than in any year prior. It is also doing this in the midst of a pandemic and is seeing its market share increase in most markets it is operating in. This is not a bad year for Tesla, even though it is arguably a bad year for a lot of people and companies.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-29-2020 at 01:49 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 02:11 PM

3,918 posts, read 2,389,108 times
Quote:

The local to me Tesla store has numerous cars on the lot, both new and used and you can buy right there OR order a car if you want.

Quote:

WTH are you on about? Yes, a replacement battery will cost money out of warranty, just like a replacement engine in a gas car will cost money out of warranty. Superchargers are ALL OVER the country (hell, getting to be all over the world). You can use a Supercharger to charge the car while on a road trip or use the included adapter to charge at any other L3 or L2 charger. Most people charge at home, however (just like for most EVs)

Old 10-29-2020, 03:03 PM

11,475 posts, read 11,637,334 times
Quote:
While 99.5% of the time I charge in my garage, I plug into chargers of all kinds in parking lots. You just need an adapter.

The Supercharger network is but one way to charge a Tesla and, in a year and half of of ownership, I have used one twice.

Old 10-30-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

1. Unfortunately, Tesla sometimes runs into issues with its direct sales model due to dealership associations. These dealership associations often lobby for rules against direct sale and are sometimes successful. If you are having difficulty getting a Tesla in your state, then it may be related to rules put in place restricting direct sales. You might have difficulty navigating websites as you need things to be very simple for you to understand. I can understand why you need a dealership and person to walk you through. However, if you are feeling adventurous here is the link you can click on your computer to try to figure out how to purchase a used Tesla from Tesla itself: https://www.tesla.com/inventory/used/ms

2. What are you referring to with "there are places that say you need to use a specific charger"?

Your first post started off incorrect by asking "To anyone wondering why Tesla had a bad year." It is odd because it will likely be Tesla's most profitable year so far. It has two factories under construction and another one undergoing an expansion. It will have delivered and sold more product this year than in any year prior. It is also doing this in the midst of a pandemic and is seeing its market share increase in most markets it is operating in. This is not a bad year for Tesla, even though it is arguably a bad year for a lot of people and companies.

1. Well perhaps thats why in New York we don't have Tesla because of lobbyists for dealerships. Afterall, we don't have Hummer dealerships, you gotta go to New Jersey for that. No thanks!

2. The website lets you find places that service your tesla, and sell parts, etc. As well as show places where there are charger locations and "galleries" whatever that means. Why would they have a map if normal mechanics and regular auto parts stores couldn't do just as well to help with Tesla ownership? Also, the website you point to shows listings of places selling their used tesla cars and even they have to charge you over 25% more than the car is worth just to get the car sent to you. If you want to pay that, then that's fine but I doubt anyone wants to pay $25,000 just to get a car sent to them. That's why I don't think there's many on the road nor do I see many here to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
The local to me Tesla store has numerous cars on the lot, both new and used and you can buy right there OR order a car if you want. WTH are you on about? Yes, a replacement battery will cost money out of warranty, just like a replacement engine in a gas car will cost money out of warranty. Superchargers are ALL OVER the country (hell, getting to be all over the world). You can use a Supercharger to charge the car while on a road trip or use the included adapter to charge at any other L3 or L2 charger. Most people charge at home, however (just like for most EVs)
Well I have the impression that you have to buy an EV charger, that it doesn't necessarily come with the vehicle.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:45 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,893,158 times
Quote:
Well I have the impression that you have to buy an EV charger, that it doesn't necessarily come with the vehicle.
it comes with a charger that you can plug into a regular outlet. if you want to charge faster, you can buy an adapter from tesla for $35 and install a 250 Volt outlet at your house (cost me $500).

Old 10-30-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
1. Well perhaps thats why in New York we don't have Tesla because of lobbyists for dealerships. Afterall, we don't have Hummer dealerships, you gotta go to New Jersey for that. No thanks!

2. The website lets you find places that service your tesla, and sell parts, etc. As well as show places where there are charger locations and "galleries" whatever that means. Why would they have a map if normal mechanics and regular auto parts stores couldn't do just as well to help with Tesla ownership? Also, the website you point to shows listings of places selling their used tesla cars and even they have to charge you over 25% more than the car is worth just to get the car sent to you. If you want to pay that, then that's fine but I doubt anyone wants to pay $25,000 just to get a car sent to them. That's why I don't think there's many on the road nor do I see many here to begin with.

New York has limited restrictions on Tesla sales, but it mostly still works out as downstate has quite a lot of Teslas and most of the stores and galleries are downstate. It's neighboring Connecticut that has a full on direct sales ban, so for a while people in CT were coming over to New York to buy them. At the end of last year, CT loosened it just a bit such that CT showrooms are now allowed to offer leases and offer test drives to people who are leasing.

Sure, the used Teslas are pretty expensive. They don't depreciate that quickly overall especially for the market segments that they're in. The *cheapest* ones when bought new start in the mid 30K range and those only started being produced a couple years ago. It's also a relatively new brand, so it's not like you can buy a decades old used vehicle with all of that depreciation.

Your original issue was that all you can see is the option to buy a new one now for X amount of money, so it seemed like you were having basic issues with website navigation and helped you find where used vehicles were from Tesla. However, you can buy such from other non-Tesla sites as well. There's a zipcode feature which I assume changes the price of delivery, but I somehow doubt that it's $25K for just the delivery cost if it's within the US. If you're talking about $25K for a used working Tesla and not just for delivery, well, like I said, and excuse the complicated sentence structure here, the brand has been making cars en masse for less than a decade, the starting prices new are generally in the luxury segment pricing, and they have held on to their value pretty well for luxury cars. It's pretty understandable there aren't many options for $25K in your area and that there aren't that many vehicles in general. You'll have to wait a few to several years before you get some options for a $25K used Tesla in the Buffalo(?) area, but it'll come eventually.

You do need to have electrical outlets if you want to charge at home. You can try to factor that into the price for people who don't have electrical outlets. If you're talking about charging faster at a fast charging station, the vehicles come ready to be charged by Tesla superchargers. If you're talking about charging faster at home, then there are a few things you can do which will generally run you from tens of dollars to low thousands of dollars depending on how your home is set up. Supposedly you'll make that back in some sense since refueling at home is generally much cheaper than fueling at a gas station.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-30-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla