Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2010, 09:00 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Actually, one would think that choosing to live in California now would indicate a more limited intelligence. Redneck for living in Texas? Fine, whatever. At least my economic future isn't in severe jeopardy and my overall quality of life isn't as compromised as it would be living in urban California. Nice place to visit, but the people can be ****e.
You got that right. Even though I am brown you can call me a redneck if I can stay gainfully employed haha Renaud posted this interesting link on he Houston forum:

Houston ranked No. 1 in job growth over past 5 years - Houston Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:54 AM

423 posts, read 824,342 times
If I'm not mistaken Houston also had one of the largest population growths in the nation due to illegal immigrants, I think I can already tell what kind of jobs are these

Old 07-29-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
That's quite a story and it's hard to believe but if you say it happened, it must have.
It happened to me once when I was driving through Philly, I delayed for a second on a traffic light, and the guy behind me starting honking his horn and yelling "Move! You f***ing hillbilly piece of sh*t!", as he passed me he flipped me off, this however didn't surprise me at all especially after I noticed Flyers and Eagles bumper stickers on his truck

But this sort of thing isn't unusual for Philadelphia, just about everyone I know who went there or lived there has similar stories to share, that's why I always laugh when I hear their motto "City of Brotherly love."

As for California, that really is kinda hard to believe, not that some Californians don't have the anti-Texas sentiments or condescending attitudes towards everyone who lives between the Coasts, but rather expressing them so easily. Californians I encountered would never call me redneck or a hick to my face, even if they thought that

Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
It happened to me once when I was driving through Philly, I delayed for a second on a traffic light, and the guy behind me starting honking his horn and yelling "Move! You f***ing hillbilly piece of sh*t!", as he passed me he flipped me off, this however didn't surprise me at all especially after I noticed Flyers and Eagles bumper stickers on his truck

But this sort of thing isn't unusual for Philadelphia, just about everyone I know who went there or lived there has similar stories to share, that's why I always laugh when I hear their motto "City of Brotherly love."

As for California, that really is kinda hard to believe, not that some Californians don't have the anti-Texas sentiments or condescending attitudes towards everyone who lives between the Coasts, but rather expressing them so easily. Californians I encountered would never call me redneck or a hick to my face, even if they thought that
OHMY!!! That is so sad it is funny. Geez.....

I've visited California NUMEROUS times and there are plenty of people that live there that are VERY condescending when they learn you are from Texas. It is very obvious too. In one store I was looking around and the sales lady came up all bubbly and sweet and wanted to know if I needed anything and to let her know if I did. The minute she found out I was from Texas it was as if I had leprosy, was a child molester and baby killer, etc. I guess all of a sudden in her eyes/feeble mind the money in my purse to spend was no longer the same green as hers. At hotel/condo pools my kids are always talking to other kids to play with them and such. ONLY in California have the people been "off" when they found out we were from Texas. One second you are okay to talk to and the next all of a sudden you are not. SERIOUSLY?!?!?! And they call US "uneducated" and "backwards". LOL!!!

Oh, and only in California have we found the most guilable people. They can be fun to mess with. Questions we have gotten:
"Do you know JR?" - yes we still get that Told a few that we live right next door to him and THEY BELIEVE IT!!!
"Do you ride a horse to school/work?" - SERIOUSLY!?!?!?! What is fun is mention you drive a very high end car and they totally freak out that we have THOSE cars here. I mean, people...... Yea, they ONLY sell high end cars in California
"How many oil wells do you own?" - ALL OF THEM!
"Did you fly here?" - No, we rode our horses here
It is absolutely CRAZY what these people believe. They are the ones that do not get out and do not travel outside their little box. ~~~shaking head~~~ But they call US "closed minded" and say WE are the ones that do not "travel". LOL!!! I've traveled all over the world and everywhere else people are always eager to talk to you when they find out you are from Texas. Only in CA do they back away like your the baby killer.

Last edited by momof2dfw; 07-29-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 07-29-2010, 10:57 AM

659 posts, read 1,377,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
If I'm not mistaken Houston also had one of the largest population growths in the nation due to illegal immigrants, I think I can already tell what kind of jobs are these
Prove it

Old 07-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Oh, and only in California have we found the most guilable people. They can be fun to mess with. Questions we have gotten...
Are you sure they weren't just joking around? I mean at my previous workplace we had a guy from Alaska, so my buddy and I were constantly giving him a hard time asking about stereotypical things we knew about Alaska like "What does bear meat tastes like?", "Did you ever shoot a wolf from the airplane?", "Do you guys use sled dogs as primary transportation?" I bet if I dig deep in Alaska forum I can maybe find a thread Texans hating on Alaskans and this guy telling about his experience and how stupid Texans are

Personally I think you overreacting to the whole thing. Some people are just d*cks by nature, not only in California and it certainly doesn't matter to them that you're from Texas. If you were from any other Southern or Midwestern state you most likely would have faced similar attitudes, just different stereotypes. I have a friend from NYC who is absolutely convinced that Californians hate New Yorkers based on his experience on the West Coast.

Once again, I'm not denying that there are some Californians who don't like or even hate Texans, but to most it makes absolutely no difference what state are you from and I never found any problems talking to folks over there. The only reaction I ever got from people that I'm from Texas was "Cool!" which most of the time shows pure indifference

PS. Who's JR by the way?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:07 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,581,384 times
A couple of years ago, my brother and I were wanting to find some local bands in San Francisco, so we figured we would ask a few locals. A couple of them were helpful enough, but twice we were blown off when they asked where we were from.

Being from West Texas, I'm sadly used to the occasional snide comment and/or being treated like a novelty no matter where I go (sometimes even within Texas), but I have never run into attitudes that bad anywhere else. I know that not all the 800,000 or so people in SF are like that, but it's still enough that I wouldn't choose to return there. However, I'm fine with other parts of CA and even the rest of the Bay Area.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Prove it
I didn't realize that illegal immigration patterns in Texas still need proving

To paraphrase a famous movie line:

"If you establish the most lenient anti-illegal immigration laws, they will come!"

Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
A couple of years ago, my brother and I were wanting to find some local bands in San Francisco, so we figured we would ask a few locals. A couple of them were helpful enough, but twice we were blown off when they asked where we were from.
Strange. SF is actually where I met the coolest and friendliest people. The most hostile Californians were definitely in LA.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 PM

443 posts, read 1,567,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcallen Kid View Post
I hate California, and I'm from Texas. When I was about 5, my family drove to California for vacation, and all along the traffic on the highways in California, people were honking and yelling at us "stupid rednecks to get the hell out of here" whenever they saw our Texas Plates. When these jerks waved guns at us my parents made my lay on the seat and close my eyes. THATS why I hate California.

We decided to do an epic road trip to California back in the mid 90's rather than fly, I never encountered a cross behavior while there. We drove from the Mojave desert all the way up I-5, to Yosemite, Sequoiya national parks, to San Fransisco up to Napa and back down towards Reno. In all that driving nothing happened along those lines.

Now it seems to me that Californians are naturally more cool(read unfriendly) and they definately have been known to blast us in the forums, but I never have seen anything close to what you're describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas