Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 11:42 AM

5 posts, read 33,551 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have read a lot of posts about RGV and posts from caucasians(anglo). I have not seen any posts that mentions african-americans. Looking at wikipedia, I notice that african americans is less than 1% of the population in cities like Mcallen, Brownsville, Harlingen, Edinburg and Laredo.

So I would like to know what the valley is like for AA and whether you know or have met any AA in the medical profession(doctors or nurses). Which city seem to have more AA or will be more accommodating or is RGV simply a no go area?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2011, 12:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
AA's are pretty rare in the valley. See this map from the Texas State Demographer's Office.

http://txsdc.utsa.edu/download/pdf/txcensus/black.jpg (broken link)

Office of the Governor - Rick Perry

Old 02-27-2011, 01:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my2reward View Post
Hi,

I have read a lot of posts about RGV and posts from caucasians(anglo). I have not seen any posts that mentions african-americans. Looking at wikipedia, I notice that african americans is less than 1% of the population in cities like Mcallen, Brownsville, Harlingen, Edinburg and Laredo.

So I would like to know what the valley is like for AA and whether you know or have met any AA in the medical profession(doctors or nurses). Which city seem to have more AA or will be more accommodating or is RGV simply a no go area?

Thanks
I know a few blacks from that area and they usually are fluent in Spanish.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM

108 posts, read 367,104 times
Its true AA are a small percent of the population in the Valley and Laredo but out of all the cities, McAllen has the most diversity in South Texas (other than Corpus) but don't believe there arent any discrimination to AA what so ever.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
The only AA people I know are in the medical/nursing professions.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 33,551 times
Thanks. If I come to TGV it will be as a nurse. I just wonder what the living conditions would be like with two young kids. I wish I knew someone that could really give me a first hand account of their experience.

In any event, I appreciate the replies.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:34 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Many of the blacks you will see in the RGV will be likely be associated with UT-Pan American in Edinburg.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM

2 posts, read 12,771 times
No major descrimination, unless. You do not know Spanish. Many expect you to speak it. I have been reprimanded on the job by clients for having the audacity to not be fluent. I have two under 5yr old & they are holding their. Own in daycar & playgroups. You may get gawking toddlers & schoolta age children, but adults not so much. I have discovered the Hispanic culture here seem to have no sense of "personal space". They will brush up against you in the check-out line & not bat an eye at being close enough to smell lunch while talking. The one thing that urks me though is not t fascination with our hair but they have no qualms with trying touch it. I've had to smack grown women's hands for reaching for my kids hair walking through the grocery store. No personal space!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Ms. C--that has nothing to do with your kids' hair or race. It's considered lucky by some, esp. older people, to touch a small child's head, as well as being a blessing to the little one.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:12 PM

14 posts, read 33,510 times
don't even try to explain hellpaso, apparently she has moved there but she's not trying to assimilate into the culture

I lived on the border, and I never had anyone get "too close" ..what do u want them to do..back up 50 ft? If you don't like the culture then move, simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas