Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:54 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
And Houston would be comparable to people saying it's an average C+ movie but not thrilling, and 70 out of 100 came out saying that. Then, you go see the movie and the first one comes out saying the movie was ok (C+) but the second one comes out saying it was worse than even what they could have imagined (F).

I'd get bored within a month or so of living in Houston. I'd be longing for the Town Lake Trail to jog on, Barton Springs, and the Hill Country. I'd miss being able to get a drink outside at the Oasis overlooking the lake or eating at Hula Hut along the river. I'd even miss Rudy's (no Rudy's in Houston).
lol, you wish. You would have to be a boring person yourself to be bored in a city the size of Houston. Then again look at what you are saying you would miss. Drinking??? and eating at Rudy's?? LMAO

Austin is a one horse town. A country place trying its best to compete with the big guns and failing miserably.

Houston is comparable to the two people going to the movie after 100 people from Austin saying how bad it was and they coming out saying, Dang, I thought they said it wasn't good.

I am glad that we don't have to make up crap about our city. Austin is only good in the mind of Austonians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, you wish. You would have to be a boring person yourself to be bored in a city the size of Houston. Then again look at what you are saying you would miss. Drinking??? and eating at Rudy's?? LMAO

Austin is a one horse town. A country place trying its best to compete with the big guns and failing miserably.

Houston is comparable to the two people going to the movie after 100 people from Austin saying how bad it was and they coming out saying, Dang, I thought they said it wasn't good.

I am glad that we don't have to make up crap about our city. Austin is only good in the mind of Austonians.
You apparently didn't read what I said or only took out the parts you wanted (selective reading I guess). I said I like drinking outside at a bar/restaurant overlooking a lake. I would also miss the outdoorsy things that Houston doesn't offer. I like outdoorsy type things, Houston doesn't have that.

Man, you really need to fully read through someone's post. Again, your problem is you can't grasp that other people have different ideas of what appeals to them. For instance I absolutely love hiking. Where can I get that in Houston? We have trails downtown in Austin and throughout the Hill Country.

Can you not understand that for someone that enjoys nature, enjoys walking around downtown, and enjoys eating outside that Houston would not fit the bill for them????

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
You apparently didn't read what I said or only took out the parts you wanted (selective reading I guess). I said I like drinking outside at a bar/restaurant overlooking a lake. I would also miss the outdoorsy things that Houston doesn't offer. I like outdoorsy type things, Houston doesn't have that.

Man, you really need to fully read through someone's post. Again, your problem is you can't grasp that other people have different ideas of what appeals to them. For instance I absolutely love hiking. Where can I get that in Houston? We have trails downtown in Austin and throughout the Hill Country.

Can you not understand that for someone that enjoys nature, enjoys walking around downtown, and enjoys eating outside that Houston would not fit the bill for them????
lol, Austin isn't the only place with Lakes. Houston and DFW has them to

You are just adding to the overrated-ness of Austin.

and every darn city has places to drink and eat outside. Have you ever been anywhere?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:44 AM

20 posts, read 37,887 times
I have lived in Austin for most of my life and currently live near downtown. I have been to Houston many times, Dallas a handful of times, and have a lot of college friends from Houston and Dallas.

I will rate the cities by "% of residents whose favorite U.S. cities include NYC, Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago."

1. Austin
2. Dallas
3. Houston

Old 03-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb8636 View Post
I have lived in Austin for most of my life and currently live near downtown. I have been to Houston many times, Dallas a handful of times, and have a lot of college friends from Houston and Dallas.

I will rate the cities by "% of residents whose favorite U.S. cities include NYC, Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago."

1. Austin
2. Dallas
3. Houston
lol, making up data to make Austin look good? Typical

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,697,972 times
Right? Almost everywhere we go in Houston has a patio where you can drink outside, restaurants and bars alike. There isn't a lake in downtown Houston but if you were down in Seabrook it would be super easy to sit at a restaurant overlooking the bay. Austin is a great city for hiking, but people have to go a little out of downtown to do it. People dont' hike in downtown Austin. It's the same for Houston. We used to do a lot of mountain biking in Memorial Park and it was decent enough for a city that isn't hilly. People have different things that appeal to them, but Austin isn't the holy grail of that. It is a nice small city, but it isn't everything for everyone. My sister in law is a nurse and although she thinks the Hill Country is nice, she was offered a much higher salary to work in the med center in Houston than what she was offered for Austin, so they relocated to Houston and they go to Austin some weekends, and are fine with that.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
Right? Almost everywhere we go in Houston has a patio where you can drink outside, restaurants and bars alike. There isn't a lake in downtown Houston but if you were down in Seabrook it would be super easy to sit at a restaurant overlooking the bay. Austin is a great city for hiking, but people have to go a little out of downtown to do it. People dont' hike in downtown Austin. It's the same for Houston. We used to do a lot of mountain biking in Memorial Park and it was decent enough for a city that isn't hilly. People have different things that appeal to them, but Austin isn't the holy grail of that. It is a nice small city, but it isn't everything for everyone. My sister in law is a nurse and although she thinks the Hill Country is nice, she was offered a much higher salary to work in the med center in Houston than what she was offered for Austin, so they relocated to Houston and they go to Austin some weekends, and are fine with that.
Yeah, the Hill Country is nice, and Austin is not bad. It is just sooooo over-hyped that I was very disappointed when I finally got there.

The thing is they put down Houston so much that when people finally get there they are pleasantly surprised.

Austin would do much better to just shut the heck up and let people find out for themselves

Old 03-06-2011, 09:57 AM

20 posts, read 37,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carryzero View Post
Austin - downtown, SoCo, East Austin
For Austin, those three neighborhoods could be good though "East Austin" is a very big area. Make sure you specify "East Austin near downtown".

Also, neighborhoods just NW of downtown like Clarksville/Old West Austin could be worth adding to the list. Same with Travis Heights (just south of the river near downtown).

Last edited by sb8636; 03-06-2011 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: add quote

Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Since wear comparing our cities to movies; I have good analogy for both Austin and Houston.

Houston - Houston is like the type of movie where you go see the first time and you're kind of like "OK, it was pretty lame". However, you go watch it a few more times and you start to like it more because you start to notice and figure out all these great messages and moments in the movie that you didn't notice or pay attention to at first.

Austin - Austin is the movie where you either like it or love it after your first viewing; however, you watch it again and again and the more you watch it; the more you start to notice it's not as great as you once thought it was.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I agree that Austin is not the be all for everyone. I've seen the downtown parks in Houston (Memorial/Hermann) and they were nice but unless you jog in circles around the park, there was no hiking. There was no place you could hike into the woods. The Barton Creek Greenbelt is within 5 minutes drive of downtown Austin and is entirely "natural".

If you like malls and good ethnic restaurants Houston ain't too bad. The professional sports are good there too, but Dallas has Houston beat on that aspect though. For me, though, as a guy, shopping is something I try to do quickly, in and out, so an indoor mall is just a waste of time for me. However, I can spend all day on a nature trail. Different strokes for different folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas