Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:33 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

paying more taxes won't keep the legislature from acting irresponsibly or ensuring TX has governor concerned with being effective leader vs politician--and I don't think those two are equal or that Perry has ever been the first one
TX has history of electing local reps that are clueless more often than not and lack any real sense of perspective about what should be done to benefit the people and run the state in their best interests short and long term
most of the decisions the legislature has made since Ann Richards was governor have been to the detriment of its people -- our quality of life is worse--our education is tetering on a cliff--our roads are in the hands of toll authorities--Medicare is going in the toilets and health care of uninsured and poor families is pretty non-existant--
taxes are higher despite the government's pledge not to raise taxes--they just call them something else and ignore what they are doing
they have sold this state to the highest bidders and divert our attention with issues that are meaningless like voter fraud--there IS no voter fraud in this state--

I keep expecting that people will wake up and see how they are being abused--but people who get the most attention are those who seem to think government is actually trying to solve problems vs cause them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Op needs to move to achieve his dream.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM

220 posts, read 454,352 times
You are free to move to another state if you want to pay an income tax.

Or even better you are free to mail a personal check to the state government if you feel you aren't paying enough taxes.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:34 PM

4 posts, read 21,011 times
Addional taxes=Fail.. Name one time in our history when the gooberment solved any problem by throwing money at it. The OP is free to relocate. The other Libs are free to move to states where there views are welcome, like say Illiteratnois, Crazifornia etc...

Old 03-28-2011, 08:42 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree Mountain View Post
How should we determine the marginal rates? Texas has a GSP comparable to Canada's GDP. The bottom provincial tax rate in Ontario is 5.05%. So, for conversation sake, let's make that the top marginal rate in Texas. This would ensure that the top earners in Texas are still paying less than the citizens of most other states. This revenue would help build and maintain public goods and services --schools (K-12 and higher education), healthcare for all, subsidized childcare, infrastructure, cultural institutions, civil servants -- that are commensurate with the state's population growth and potential while still keeping it a relatively low tax state for the majority of its citizens: the middle-class and working poor. Moreover, this would also allow Texas to keep corporate and business tax rates low in order to ensure that the state remains economically competitive.
Feel free to send in your money anyway, who needs to wait to be taxed?

Old 10-14-2016, 03:51 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
I dont want a state income tax here in Texas, but I do wish our property taxes were lower.

Last edited by toosie; 10-22-2016 at 04:52 PM.. Reason: Deleted "CD encourages bumping old threads" x13

Old 10-15-2016, 08:01 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Florida is able to have medium to low property tax rates and no income tax. I think Florida is ranked about in the middle. Why can't Texas do this? I think Florida gets most of their income from sales tax and fees for services (like license plates, titles, drivers licenses).

I've heard horror stories from people about county assessors here in Texas trying to raise taxes as high as they can.

I do not pay property tax in Texas, but I did in Missouri. Almost all of the property tax (about 80%) went to the school district, the other parts went to the fire station, police, and libraries. Very little, if any went to the state.

Where do property taxes in Texas go?

Old 10-15-2016, 08:47 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,262,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
If TX ever gets a state income tax (yikes!), I hope the property tax rates will be reduced. (Fat chance!) The state is going to get its money one way or the other.
This.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:08 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
This.
If Texas added income tax and kept property tax at the same rates, it would go from being one of the most affordable states, to one of the most expensive.

Places like New York and California have lower property tax rates than Texas.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:23 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,977,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Florida is able to have medium to low property tax rates and no income tax. I think Florida is ranked about in the middle. Why can't Texas do this? I think Florida gets most of their income from sales tax and fees for services (like license plates, titles, drivers licenses).

I've heard horror stories from people about county assessors here in Texas trying to raise taxes as high as they can.

I do not pay property tax in Texas, but I did in Missouri. Almost all of the property tax (about 80%) went to the school district, the other parts went to the fire station, police, and libraries. Very little, if any went to the state.

Where do property taxes in Texas go?
I think a lot of the property taxes in Texas go to the school districts.
-WT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas