Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,144 times

Advertisements

This is a beautiful state, as I have learned over the past decade of my life living here. However, despite that beauty, it has an insidious, evil malignancy: speed traps.

What are some cities that like speed traps and harassing innocent motorists? Let's list 'em here. The disgusting parasites of this amazing and beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
let me say I know of NO towns/cities that harass "innocent" motorist. I know of several that are very aggressive at issuing speeding citations.

If you do the deed (exceed the maximum posted speed limit) don't complain if you get a ticket.

I say this as a chronic speeder. I drive 100 miles to work round trip to work (3-4 days a week). If I get pulled over I deserve it. Having said that I do know some localities that seem to be sneaky in their apprehension practices. In my neck of the woods I'll specifically warn of Zavalla on US 69 south of Lufkin as posted limit changes are way out in the woods and the po-po sits just past the sign on the oppposite side of a small rise on the south side of town while radaring north bound traffic. Just about all small towns will aggressively enforce speeding laws, some are just "more aggressive"

.Drive the speed limit if you have a problem with acquiring speeding tickets.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 AM

874 posts, read 1,648,148 times
Worst speed traps are in Texas, supposedly. Austin and Houston are supposed to be the worst.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...t-speed-traps/

Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
apparently based on local news report recently
the Lake Lewisville bridge has one side that is really giving out tickets to amost any car--because the speed limit drops significantly when the bridge crosses into another town's jurisdiction and people don't slow down soon enough

the cops for that town are shooting down the bridge--technically outside their jurisdiction--and giving drivers tickets when they get to the other side--

Old 04-05-2011, 08:17 AM

687 posts, read 1,577,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
let me say I know of NO towns/cities that harass "innocent" motorist. I know of several that are very aggressive at issuing speeding citations.
I wish that was true, but I've read several stories to the contrary. Remember the case of the small town of Tenaha a couple of years back? It's disgusting to think things like this still go on in our state.

Highway robbery? Texas police seize black motorists' cash, cars - chicagotribune.com

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post

If you do the deed (exceed the maximum posted speed limit) don't complain if you get a ticket.

I say this as a chronic speeder. I drive 100 miles to work round trip to work (3-4 days a week). If I get pulled over I deserve it. Having said that I do know some localities that seem to be sneaky in their apprehension practices. In my neck of the woods I'll specifically warn of Zavalla on US 69 south of Lufkin as posted limit changes are way out in the woods and the po-po sits just past the sign on the oppposite side of a small rise on the south side of town while radaring north bound traffic. Just about all small towns will aggressively enforce speeding laws, some are just "more aggressive"

.Drive the speed limit if you have a problem with acquiring speeding tickets.
What BobTex says. The few occasions that I've gotten a ticket, you know what? I was speeding. I owned up and learned my lesson and didn't whine that the big bad officer was meeaannn and I was "trapped" because I got caught doing something against the law.

What exactly do you expect to happen when you're speeding?

That being said, there are some areas that are more lenient than others about speeding. Small towns, though, where people who like to speed tend to consider them a bump in the road and blow through ignoring the speed limit changes as they enter town where kids might run out in the road, cars might pull out, there might be a traffic light, all sorts of things that don't usually occur as often on the open road, tend to get reputations as speed traps because they actually have speed limits and enforce them for the safety of their populace. (The income from fines is a side benefit, of course, but not usually the main reason.)

It's not a "trap" if you're not exceeding the speed limit.

There used to a a speed trap on I35 where it ran through a small town down near San Antonio - Schertz, I think it was. You could tell who wasn't from around here by the way they blew past everybody who was slowing down just before they got there (including semis), as if there wasn't some good reason that everyone was slowing down. Those tended to, rightfully in my opinion because they were clearly too dumb to drive, get tickets going through there.

There will frequently be officers near school zones. Between Georgetown and Jarrell on I35 is patrolled pretty regularly.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
I have never gotten a ticket that I didn't earn.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:56 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,648,565 times
Some of you speak as if these artificially low speed limits are for our own good. My own good? Your own good? The communist pigs who some of you support want to own you and tell you what you can and can not do. You actually like that cradle to grave concept?

If ever you were to research how the artificially low speed limits are set you all might change your tune. They are set 20% lower then extensive traffic studies indicate the average speed for that stretch of roadway is. Guess what? This means the big fat pigs and fat cat Bureaucrats get to extort money from 20% of us innocent citizens for doing a natural act. Driving.

Which by the way. Are you all so brainwashed to listen to your (not mine) government? They tell you driving is a privilege. Since when is something you and I pay directly for become a privilege to use? I bought that damn road and so did you, that should by all legal definitions mean it belongs to us therefore we have the right to use it so long as we are not hurting anyone. That is where the oink oinks job should start. Protecting us from the bad drivers, not hiding behind trees like some Cat in heat waiting for their weak prey to make a fatal mistake and exceed that artificially low limit.

Raise your hands for no more radar, no more speeding tickets!!! Yea right. Those who push this communist act on us do so because they are immune from the very laws they jamb down our throats. Proof? I ask, when was the last time in American history when a cop or politician got a speeding ticket? Exactly my point. Speeding tickets is a revenue raising tactic. Nothing more and nothing less. Tickets were never intended to protect the public, only raise easy funds. And with govt spending out of control and the current economic depression fully upon us, towns and cities are demanding their cop forces hand out even more speeding tickets to cope. So the old wives tale that cops allow about 7 MPH fluff before turning on those dreaded lights, the fluff has been lowered to about 4 MPH.

So very sad........

Old 04-05-2011, 01:52 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Other than the Lake Lewisville bridge affair and a few other that I don't know about, I'd say the big rip isn't speeding tickets but rather the red-light cameras. Leave law enforcement to the constabulary.

As much as I think some speed limits are too low, it's up to me whether to obey them or not. If I don't, I'm fair game.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
desertsun41, it matters not. If the speed limit is set, whether you agree with it or not (there are procedures to go through to try to get the speed limit changed if you feel that it is inappropriate), if you get a ticket because you were violating it, that's not a trap. That's the predictable consequences of your own actions, so quitcher whinin'!

And anyone who thinks that because they don't like the laws, therefore they shouldn't apply to them is, by definition, a bad driver and shouldn't have a license or be allowed to drive a car (which would solve the whole problem of them getting a speeding ticket right there), not to mention being possessed of an overweening sense of entitlement.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 04-05-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas